long-term lippie storage

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
egerandi

long-term lippie storage

Post by egerandi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm eyeing some of the to-be-discontinued lippies (namely, Figment and Fig Leaf), and was wondering what's the best way to keep them fresh for longer. I am still using the original ones I bought a couple of years ago, just thinking ahead.
I also have some duplicates that I need to store (keep misplacing Cayenne and Combustion, so now I have two of each).

I saw someone else inquiring about this somewhere on the forum, so thought of starting a new thread.
Thanks!
Cupcake

Re: long-term lippie storage

Post by Cupcake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:59 pm

I've taken to keeping lippy in the fridge. Not the most original answer to your question but they do seem to last longer. I've got several which must be well over a year old if not nearly two years old and I noticed one was starting to turn, so I refrigerated them all. Since then, none of the others from the same time has shown any deterioration. I'm not sure if there may be any reason not to refrigerate them, perhaps extra cold temperatures might upset the formula? The experts will know. Meanwhile, it works for me. I'd hate to lose any more lippy and am concious about not buying too many at a time given their limited storage life.
tardis

Post by tardis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm

I keep backups in the fridge too. Not in a drawer where there might be extra condensation — just on a shelf in a sandwich baggie. I also keep an eye on the humidity and adjust the dial accordingly.

My normal everyday lippies are kept in open glass bowls in my bedroom. Too warm and humid in the bathroom. No problems with turning after over a year.
Autumn

Post by Autumn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I also put lippies in the fridge. I have a back of Rare Berry in there plus my SN skin care. I use the serums and AHA toner.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Fridge sounds good! I'll start storing them there until I hear otherwise. I'm already keeping my skin care in there, I can make a lil more room :)

Thanks for the input!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:14 pm

The fridge works...although the main enemy of lippies is oxygen (which is why we use the slim tubes- it keeps more air out than a regular lipstick shape). With the Kisser Slickers I don't worry as much because at least to me, they seem to have the longest shelf life.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:50 pm

karen wrote:The fridge works...although the main enemy of lippies is oxygen (which is why we use the slim tubes- it keeps more air out than a regular lipstick shape). With the Kisser Slickers I don't worry as much because at least to me, they seem to have the longest shelf life.
Thanks, Karen!
Bubble

Post by Bubble » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Is the fridge good storing for the liquid lipgloss too?

Thanks!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 pm

You can try if you want to. I am not sure how much life it will add especially for the wands.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com