very fair... base and color help please

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
thelovelyjessica

very fair... base and color help please

Post by thelovelyjessica » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Hello. Im new to SN and I am very fair. I have attempted to use bare minerals in the past and its the only thing I have found somewhat exceptable... but the concealer (bisque) is to olive/yellow/dark on my skin and the 'fair' foundation is too colorful and dark as well. I normally dont even use foundation... if anything i just want to minimize shine. In the second pic below I think there may be a chance I was been using a tiny bit of the bare minerals but I dont remember... but I definitly had nothing on my face for the first pic... Im sure of that. When I do wear foundation I use soooo little... a very very light dusting (just to even tone) and I blend most of it off until it matches. Currently, I use the bisque the most often.. just a little under my eyes and on a few broken blood vessels and the occational blemish I have on my face. The issue with that is when the right light hits me (or any light), it looks like there are jaundice blotches and too dark colored concealer spots on my face... not very sexy lol. Another problem that I run in to is that my face is naturally a slightly darker tone than my neck and chest (verrrry bad sun burn and poisoning many times as a child- would cover body and forget face) so it looks like I am wearing poorly applied makeup even when I am not. Im 26 and dont want to look like a 12 year old that was playing with mommy's makeup (Im tired of not matching!!!! lol :) Overall, I am looking to conceal some blemishes, control t-zone shine, and even out tone (or rather make my face match my neck). Since I use product mainly for spot coverage I was wondering what to use for a base... the heavy looked like it had some iridescence to it and I had a feeling it would be too much even the way I use foundation which is very lightly dusted to whole face. Also, I wasnt sure if the original would be too light to cover the bright red vessels and blemishes I get (Im a face picker which is sooo terrible, I know!). Would the medium be ok even for a light dusting over whole face? Would it be enough as spot control? Should I use the med for spot/under eye coverage and then an untinted oil control or blur for the light overall dusting, shine control, and evening of tone?
BTW the last pic is from the only day in ten years I didnt wear my colored contacts (I am blind without them but got a free clear pair and wanted to see what I looked like with natural eyes) so I am always blue eyed :).

Oh, and any suggestions for a lip color?

Thanks soooo much in advance for your help!!!

also I know this is off topic but wanted to share: after eleven yeas of trial and error I found the secret to controlling shine on my face. Clinique exfoliating scrub (they say to only use 1-2x per week because it will dry out skin but I use every day- sometimes twice a day and have never had a problem... only great results), and Clinique clarifying lotion level 4 for oily skin (its a liquid- like an astringant) I use that 1-2x a day as well... both are from Clinique's 3 step skin care line... like I said its the only thing I have found to help control my oily skin... its still a little shiny in the t-zone, but not oily :)
Attachments
photo12.JPG
photo12.JPG (12.97 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
photome2.JPG
photome2.JPG (19.14 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG (23.53 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
JenW

Re: very fair... base and color help please

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 am

I think any of the white bases is a possibility for you. I would probably start by trying the Original and Medium Coverage. To add a hint of color, I would pick up an Olive base sample. You won't need much. I am thinking about 1 scoop Olive to about 20 or more of the white.... (I would actually try 1:24 which is one of our small scoops for the color plus 1/2 tsp white and 1/4 tsp white.)

Link to an Olive sample (check the pull down menu)
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/olive ... p-764.html

White samples this link
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/found ... -1120.html

Oily skin is a tricky thing. Often it means the skin is dehydrated and is overcompensating by producing oil to retain the hydration it has. We have had many customers improve their oily skin by adding a hydrating serum into their routine. However, if what you are doing works for you, by all means stick to it!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Maeva

Post by Maeva » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote=

Oh, and any suggestions for a lip color?

[/quote]

I think Figment would look lovely on you. Other possibilities: Captivate, Provoke, Engage, Fig Leaf, Vintage, Dame...

You may want to sample Zinc Powder, Ultimate Luxury Treatment Powder, and Flattery Illuminating Powder.

Enjoy!
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
thelovelyjessica

Post by thelovelyjessica » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 pm

thanks so much! I gotta say that I am very excited to try all this out! I have searched so hard and long to find colors that will work for me... and especially without having to overlap ten layers of gunk on my skin. :) I will post an update as soon as I get my order and play around with the colors :)
frckls

Post by frckls » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:41 pm

For lippies, try getting Aria. I think you'll love it. Bitten is a fun red as well. For darker red, I can imagine Crimson looks gorgeous on you.

I can totally relate to having oily skin. I, too, tend to over dry my face in the past to overcome the oiliness. But my skin behaves much better and I blot a lot less with a hydrating serum. I use Oatmeal and up until now, seems to be the best bet. :)
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 am

frckls wrote:For lippies, try getting Aria. I think you'll love it. Bitten is a fun red as well. For darker red, I can imagine Crimson looks gorgeous on you.

I can totally relate to having oily skin. I, too, tend to over dry my face in the past to overcome the oiliness. But my skin behaves much better and I blot a lot less with a hydrating serum. I use Oatmeal and up until now, seems to be the best bet. :)

Yes the Oatmeal serum is awesome! It has made my skin much less oily in the T-zone area and much more hydrated in my dry areas (around my cheeks and mouth).
Favorites

Blush: Abstract, Maybe Baby, and Poppy
Eyeshadows: Blanket Fort, Cult, Danny, Latte, and Moss
Lipsticks: All In, Asset, Eternal, Notion, and Syntax