Question about lotion bars...

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

Question about lotion bars...

Post by karen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:08 pm

So I've been getting some emails about the lotion bars, and so far they seem like they're pretty popular. From the time we released them until now I've been pondering logistics a little bit more, and I'm wondering if they absolutely positively have to be in bar form. With the bars we can really only ship them to the Northern Hemisphere in cooler weather- but I got to thinking what if I made a slightly mushier version and put it in a bottle. That way we can ship them anywhere year round, and you can travel with it much easier than a bar.

I can't think of any real reason they have to be in bar form- unless I'm missing something (other than a bottle would weigh ever so slightly more than a piece of foil, but the trade off is that it's more secure)...hmmm. Any input??
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Rhys

Re: Question about lotion bars...

Post by Rhys » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I don't know how mushy they'd be, but maybe a wide-mouth sort of flat jar would be the answer? If they're kind of mushy, a bottle might be difficult to get them out of.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm

I missed out on the gumballs, so I don't have the bar, but I thought the idea was that you can handle it more easily: just grab the bar and rub it on your skin like you would a bar or soap? What happens if they go into bottles, do we have to scoop out with fingers to rub it on? Just curious.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm

I have one ounce squeeze type bottles, and a version that's more like a thick cream rather than a bar. I've been toying with it for a while...just squeeze a bit out and rub it in. The first version was a bit too firm so I just run it under hot water for a few seconds and it's fine. A jar could work, but they're unpreserved, and I don't love the idea of people dipping wet fingers into a jar.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Maybe a tube that has a wider mouth, so a thicker cream can come out.
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I didn't get the item, but I actually am more intrigued by it being in a more liquid form in a squeeze bottle.
la_canadiense(01)

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm

I would like them in either form. I found the bar hard to maneourver over my knees, etc...although not that hard, but it feel out of my hand a few times....squeezy bottle would get rid of that problem...:)
either way, I love the formula.

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
Babydoll

Post by Babydoll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I have a lotion bar from another company and it really does work well! In fact I love it. Lotion bars are meant to be used while you are still wet in the shower. So I use mine right before I am ready to get out and just rub it all over my body. It is WAY better than lotion. I also make my own, but haven't figured out how to make it into a bar...I put it in a container and use a spatula to get out small amounts...it is hard to keep the water from getting in and contaminating it. So my vote would be to stick with a bar!! Just my two cents!
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm

My problem is that I find anything in bar form tends to end up melting away in a puddle since I don't really have anywhere in the shower to store it protected (and if it isn't in the shower, I will not remember to bring it in to use it), but a squeeze bottle can sit with my other shower products and will get used.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Honestly, I would love them packaged in something like a solid deodorant tube.....that way if they melted, they would just need to go into the refrigerator for a bit. Also, they would be sealed and not get too yucky in the shower.....
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com