Are the serums safe to use with acne lotion?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
feyith

Are the serums safe to use with acne lotion?

Post by feyith » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:25 pm

I have very clear skin but it is prone to breakouts if I don't take very specific care of it. My normal routine is to use a salicylic acid based lotion or benzoyl peroxide based lotion, let that dry and then put a layer of oil free lotion on. Since the serums are best layered under a moisturizer, I was wonder what order I should do things in. Is it safe to layer my acne lotion on it or should I not use them?
karen
Site Admin

Re: Are the serums safe to use with acne lotion?

Post by karen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:13 am

It depends on the serum- Green Tea and Aloe, Rose, or Oatmeal can go under just about anything. You could also try something like the Simply C and that should be fine as well. Super Serum won't work with the salicylic acid, but that's the only combo that gets touchy.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
feyith

Post by feyith » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks, Karen! :D
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 am

I got to thinking about it a little more, and you may want to think about the Hemp moisturizer instead of the oil free one that you're using. It's up to you, but hemp oil has a really unique fatty acid profile, and tends to be really friendly for acne-prone skin.
BlowFarAway

Post by BlowFarAway » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 am

It is seriously love! I went through a whole bottle in what, 4 weeks?
Don't be so humble, you are not that great. -Golda Meir
feyith

Post by feyith » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:24 am

Karen, I just wanted to say thank you. It's really cool how you and Jen spend so much time personally responding to our questions and thinking about our needs. I so appreciate that. :)

I've been seriously meaning to try SN's skin care but I'm afraid of falling in love with it and then my big giant stockpile of stuff that I'm currently using would go to waste. Hubby and I are jobless at the moment so I can't afford to throw anything away right now. :(

I was wondering if I should get the Green Tea and Aloe serum to use with the Hemp moisturizer and then skip the acne lotion step altogether or if I would be better off with something more like the Facelift serum and keep using the SA/BP lotions. So many options! :shock:
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm sorry to hear about you and your husband...we've been there before and it wasn't fun at all. Don't throw-out your stuff (that's been working for you) it was sort of one of those 'try it when you get around to it' things. You're young, and gorgeous- so something like Facelift might be overkill for you- it's meant to help us more "mature" ladies get back what you already have. Vitamin C is always a good thing though. If you can use Super Serum that would be a good thing to try- niacinamide is really good for acne.

It's all a bit of a guessing game...and it's so individual. My basic feeling with the oil-free moisturizers is that they generally have things in them that are a bit "touchier" on acne-prone skin than just a regular oil. All moisturizers need some sort of emollient and in the oil free ones they tend to use a lot of silicones, or something like fractionated coconut oil (the inci is capric/caprillic triglycerides) which aren't necessarily bad, but they're not necessarily wonderful either. You may be in a situation where you need the BP or SA just to undo the effects of the moisturizer- but again, it's really situational and individual.
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 pm

For what it's worth, I am a chronic user of acne treatment products (mainly SA and BP), and have found that since I started using SN skin care, my dependency on them has lessened. I use the GT&A serum and the hemp moisturizer together, and do still use my BP product for spot treatment on a few stubborn, apparently hormonal, breakouts, but have been using it less and less often. (I cleanse with the ACO at night and the Kiss cleanser in the mornings, followed with the Pore Refining Toner both AM and PM, along with the GT&A and hemp.)
feyith

Post by feyith » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Thank you so much, Karen. You're very sweet. :D

Jane, your review has sealed my fate. Skin care samples going straight into the cart. ;)

I talked with Kevin about this last night and he was like, "Well, you haven't bought any video games and if this means you're gonna stop complaining about your skin? Do it! Do it!" :lol:
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:50 pm

What a smart guy! Definitely a keeper! :D