Happy Almost New Year!

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

Happy Almost New Year!

Post by karen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:09 pm

I hope you all had a wonderful wonderful holiday season, and that you're somewhere warm and relaxed. Thank you so much for all of your support- you kept us moving! It felt really great to dig in, work hard, and just try to keep up with everything.

I just finished the new shipping spreadsheet, and it looks like I had been undercharging for shipping- to a point where we really weren't breaking even. I like doing cheap shipping- really I do- nothing bugs me more than being overcharged for shipping. BUT we gotta pay the bills- and the mailers, paying someone to print all the labels, and pack everything- and then the Paypal fees on top of that- it adds up quickly. So, on Wednesday our shipping prices will increase by about $1 per package. It's a little bit bigger of an increase than I'd hoped for, but we haven't raised our shipping prices in almost a year, and we've had 2 postal rate increases since then so we have to do a bit bigger bump than I'd planned.

The up side of next week is we're going to be doing some gumballs! I have a million projects on my plate at the moment, but I'm going into the shop to play for the rest of the day. I need the creative outlet, and frankly my skin is so dry and itchy I need to do something about it because it's driving me crazy. I *know* the cure is lotion (or moving to somewhere tropical), but I'm pondering some different ways of doing things- just for fun. Those will make it to the website probably early next week.

Okay...play time! Have a wonderful, fun, safe New Years!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Colleen

Re: Happy Almost New Year!

Post by Colleen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Happy New Years Karen. It is snowing here so I am drinking tea to keep warm. We missed the snow we had here on Christmas since we were gone visiting relatives so it is nice to have a second chance at it. I live in Texas so we don't see snow too often. I'm sorry to hear about the shipping charges, but I understand that you need to be at least breaking even on the shipping. Can't wait to see the gumballs.
Pomi

Post by Pomi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Happy New Year to you too Karen!
I believe discovering Silk Naturals has been a really positive point about '09 for me :)
Even though this might sound a bit sugary or whatever, I'd really like to thank and congratulate you for running such a wonderful company!
I'm fine with the shipping. I think it will still be the cheapest out there anyways.
Have a wonderful year!
Pomeline
Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Aw, don't worry about the shipping, like others said here and on other forums, you have the cheapest and quickest anyway :)

And Happy New Year to everyone at Silk Naturals!

My face cracked over the weekend. Literally cracked on the sides of my nose and forehead. It was soooo weird. So a little SN banana mask with some smashed aspirin (stress relief, to boot) and honey....15 minutes later I was all better. It's magic.
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 pm

No Worries about the shipping increase!!!! You need to make money too!!!!!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 am

Colleen- anytime you miss snow we're more than happy to send you a truckload! It was 4 today. Now it's warmed up to 16!!!
@Silverfern- I'm glad the mask helped- cracking skin isn't fun!

Thank you for your understanding! I know there's almost always someone who will undercut us with something, but I like to think we have a bit more sustainable business model so we can keep up with your needs. There are a million little kitchen table makeup companies, and a lot of them are super cheap, but we've all seen it before- they get popular, and then things slack. The shipping slows down, the emails don't get answered, packages go "missing"- by breaking even on our actual shipping costs hopefully we'll be able to maintain the same level of service that you've all become used-to.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 am

Yay, I LOVE gumballs :) I will so be stalking the site between now and then (even though I just made another order, doh!)
I am totally fine with a $1 increase in shipping (although will it be more for international?) I am happy to pay appropriately for good service.
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
foureight

Post by foureight » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:53 am

Another customer happy to pay the extra $1 so that your small business can at least break even on shipping.

I'm new enough that I haven't had a chance to try a gumball yet. I think I sort of understand the idea from other posts but I will be excited to see them on the site and try one soon hopefully!

Happy early new year and holiday season (from my dog Mr. Yub-Yub below, too)

:D :lol: :) ;)
boohat.jpg
boohat.jpg (305.42 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Trainer

Post by Trainer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:57 am

Happy New Year Karen, and Everyone!
Don't worry about the shipping cost, it's still very reasonable and the shipping is so quick, it's a deal! I'm not going anywhere!! Can't wait for gumballs! :D
Colleen

Post by Colleen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 am

Karen, I think I will let you keep the snow and extra cold weather. Our snow is gone and it is 40 already this morning. I have the dry itchy skin as it is.