sequence/order to layering serums?

jien

sequence/order to layering serums?

Post by jien » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:42 am

Hallo everybody!

was hoping someone could help me on this.. I just got my full sizes of several serums and was thinking how I should go about layering them to get maximum results. :P

These are what I got (on top of other goodies :D):
  • Super Serum
    Oatmeal Hydrating Serum
    Green Tea and Aloe Hydrating Serum
    Facelift Vitamin C, DMAE & Peptide serum
My skin would be combination -- cheeks seems dry with very fine lines (obvious when I apply too much powder ), T-zone is dehydrated (fine lines) but yet oily few hours post cleansing, huge pores esp on area next to nose, couple of deep lines under my eyes. I'd breakout if don't remove my makeup at night :roll: or if I use something that is too oily or drying. My pimples don't heal well, would usually leave scars. I just checked acne.org and it seems that I'd had pustules, nodules, cysts, and milia on my face at some point in time :? My blackheads and whiteheads on & around the nose and forehead have pretty much cleared up since I started on SN fantastic skincare!!

Previously when I had samples I used them on different parts of my face. I applied the green tea serum on forehead, nose and area around the nose, Oatmeal on area around the nose, cheeks & neck in the morning. At night, I use green tea serum on Tzone, follow by super serum over rest of face and neck.

I use the pore refining toner (love the refreshing sweet orange fragrance!!) before the serums and pat in the Jojoba Moisturizer after the serum dries. My questions:
  • 1) How do I add the Facelift in? Karen, from previous threads, had suggested doing the super serum in the morning and facelift at night. Then JenW in another thread mentioned that super serum (treat) is probably better if applied before oatmeal (hydrate).
    2) Should I layer, and if so in what order?
    2) should I wait for the serums to dry between layers?
    3) any no-nos when layering serums (e.g. super serum + facelift would be overkill?)
TIA!!
(& thanks for reading my long post!)
JenW

Re: sequence/order to layering serums?

Post by JenW » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi,
I am so glad everything is working for you. The more I think about the layering, the more I think the treatment ones need to be last. I do also think Facelift and Super Serum are overkill for one sitting. I do Super in the morning and Facelift at night.

So hydrating serums first, and then the more treatment ones.

Hopefully, Karen will let us know what she thinks soon!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm

I'd say use the most expensive serum first...it's the cheapo in me. Get the maximum benefits out of the expensive stuff, and then go back with a hydrating serum if you feel like you need more hydration.

There's no technical reason why you can't layer the Super Serum over the Facelift Serum. I like to think of it more as the "nuclear option" rather than overkill. In those 2 serums you're getting: Vitamin C, DMAE, Peptides, Niacinamide, MSM, Tamarind Seed Extract, Pumpkin seed extract (which is essentially Strivectin), and the Venuceane...they're all available as stand-alone serums, so it's essentially like putting 8 different serums on. Some people would still want more actives, plus regular Botox injections, some would call it overkill...it's semantics. That is a lot of ingredients for one face though- so proceed with caution. Super Serum in the morning, and Facelift at night is probably more prudent, and it's what I do.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Yep....go with what Karen said. Actually that is pretty close to what I do, but I am glad this question was asked!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
jien

Post by jien » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:35 am

Karen & JenW, thanks for your replies. I actually went ahead to apply just the super serum this morning (before I saw your replies), my skin felt a bit tight (is this a good "guestimate" of dehydration?) after the serum dried, so I layered on green tea on forehead and oatmeal on everywhere else. hehe... nothing bad happened. skin seems happy :P THANKS!