Clear Labels for the bottom of jars

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
Xarata

Clear Labels for the bottom of jars

Post by Xarata » Sun May 11, 2008 9:38 pm

I prefer to look at a palette of colors because i use a bigger variety that way so i hang them with the bottom of the jar facing out. I use a magnet system but it's not that different than the velcro system SN sells. I stick my magnet (or with an SN bag, the velcro) ontop of the label which means i can't see the name. I love the best of both worlds when i have jars with clear labels on the bottom so i can see both the name and actual color through the label at the same time. Since you have to make a wish to see it come true, thought i'd add it to the wishlist thread.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenW

Re: Clear Labels for the bottom of jars

Post by JenW » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

I know your post was a 'wish'. But do you have a fine Sharpie marker? You could easily write the name on the bottom very close to the edge of the jar not obscuring the color at all. IMO some of those clear labels distort the color a little, especially the clear matte ones.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Mon May 12, 2008 3:39 pm

the clear matte ones do but the trully clear ones don't. i don't think i'd want the unprofessional look of handwriting on my jars. i might think about buying a sheet of clear sticker paper and print out bands that can go around the circumference of the jar maybe...
Samantha

karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 pm

A few sheets of 1' round clear labels is what you need...maybe eBay? If you have access to a laser printer- get the laser safe ones, ink jets smear like anything.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
BeaT

Post by BeaT » Wed May 14, 2008 8:39 pm

Incidentally, I was also thinking of recommending SN switching to an all-clear packaging (clear container and clear sticker label)... quite happy to see a similar wish being expressed. :-)

When I decide to stick to an MMU, I always move the powder into a clear plastic container and put a little sticker on the bottom, so it'd be easier to find the things I want when I'm looking for them; that way, whichever side is up, what's inside is instantly recognizable. Aside from the time and effort it takes to read the tiny prints, because I'm terribly myopic, I can barely see beyond a 2-inch range without my glasses when I'm putting on my makeup, therefore identifying things by color rather than by label is easier in that circumstance. I'm currently getting by by lining the SN cases bottom side up before I begin my ritual (haven't got time to switch the cases yet), but I think it'd be just nice to have them come in clear ones -- I don't know if black-lidded ones are cheaper or anything, but there're so many other brands that use black-top cases, the whole pile just looks so drab and all brands appear rather similar for the nearly identical packaging; wouldn't it be nice for SN to stand out more? :-) And I wouldn't mind if the brand name is shortened to "SN" so there's more room for a larger-font product name.

This is just a thought; whether SN keeps its packaging doesn't affect my purchasing decision, because what draws me to SN first and foremost is what's inside the jar. :-)

Oh and -- as I'm waiting for the arrival of my first SN gloss (I know the SN glosses are hugely popular and it's kinda strange I wasn't trying them out first thing; it's just that I haven't been into wearing any colored stuff on my lips for years. Nice job for managing to entice me to try after much much speculation!) -- I also find it more convenient for users if at the very least the cap of the lippies can be clear. It's easier to tell what's inside than trying to spot the name, esp. when you are carrying several in the purse as most SN gloss lovers seem wont to do. :-)
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 pm

beat- i actually don't mind the black lids because (somehows) none of my other shadows have black lids, so at least i know if i'm reaching for an SN shadow or not. I do get by fairly well with a system like yours (they're all on a marker board with the bottom facing out) but there a just a couple of colors similar in tone that i always have to look at the tiny hole in the magnet and make sure i grabbed the one i prefer. I think the real reason i want a label somewhere that i don't cover up is that when i want to review a color or a look, i'm not always sure what the color is, especially if it was something "new" for me. I sometimes pry the magnets off but since the labels are paper they can tear. Maybe i will buy a sheet of the round plastic labels and just stick them ontop of the regular labels before i put magnets on so that if i want to take a magnet off, the original label will remain intact. That could work...
Samantha