Looking for Winter Skin Care Recommendations

MBlovesSN

Looking for Winter Skin Care Recommendations

Post by MBlovesSN » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I need some advice on trying a serum from SN.

I have reactive skin with redness on my cheeks and nose. I have large pores with some blackheads on my nose and chin and broken capillaries on my lower cheeks to contend with. It's fairly oily, sensitive, and somewhat acne prone in the summer. In the winter, it can be dry, sensitive, yet still oily in my t-zone. Right now, I have dry patches on my lower cheeks and around my mouth, yet the other parts of my face are pretty oily. By the end of the day, I am oily all over my face (minus a little on the dry patches).

I have been using a non-SN Normal to Dry moisturizer plus my Philosophy Hope is Not Enough Facial Firming Serum both day and night (a little lighter application of both during the day under my makeup). I exfoliate lightly with a washcloth, the SN Apricot Cleansing Oil, and sometimes Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (nose and chin only).

Because I am fairly oily at the end of the day, I am thinking my serum and moisturizer must be a little too heavy (at least for the t-zone). From what I have read, the Green Tea and Aloe Serum might be the best bet for a serum during the day under makeup as it seems to be the lightest serum and yet deals with acne prone skin. Do you think this serum will be the best one, or will something else be better suited for my problem skin? Or, do you think I should use one serum on the oily part and my heavier serum on the other parts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Favorites

Blush: Abstract, Maybe Baby, and Poppy
Eyeshadows: Blanket Fort, Cult, Danny, Latte, and Moss
Lipsticks: All In, Asset, Eternal, Notion, and Syntax
JenW

Re: Looking for Winter Skin Care Recommendations

Post by JenW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:21 pm

You can always give the serum a try. I can't say for sure whether or not it will be better than what you are currently using.

Skin tends to produce oil to preserve hydration/moisture. I don't think the oiliness is caused by the combination of the serum and moisturizer, as much as you need a more hydrating serum. For the simplest of fixes, you might want to try layering Oatmeal Serum after the serum you are using and then your moisturizer.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks Jen. Have been using the Oatmeal serum and it has made me less oily in my T-zone and more hydrated in my dry areas. It's really helping in balancing my skin tone and moisture levels!

Do you think the Oatmeal serum would be good for summer (I live in the South) or should I go lighter? If I should go lighter, what would be a good summertime replacement for the Oatmeal serum?
Favorites

JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:26 am

I would keep using it if you can. Or you could try a lighter hydrating one like Green Tea & Aloe.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
frckls

Post by frckls » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm

I started using Oatmeal back when I was still living in the tropic. And honestly, that stuff helps me a lot than GreenTea-Aloe did. I'm still using it in the harsh European winter and it prevents my skin from drying out real well. Try it. You won't go back.
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. I plan to keep using the Oatmeal serum, even into summer. I guess I will re-evaluate if need be, but for now the plan is to stick with the Oatmeal serum as long as it works. Hearing that someone who has lived in the tropics can wear it year-round is promising news to me!
Favorites

frckls

Post by frckls » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Make that TWO persons: me and my sister. And to make you feel even better, my mom and sisters used to tease me by calling me "oil-rig". Not anymore after Oatmeal. ;)
MBlovesSN

Post by MBlovesSN » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Yeah sometimes my skin feels like an oil rig too, but not since I have been using this awesome serum! Glad it works well for you and I am very happy with the results too!
Favorites