Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 am

allyb wrote:I'm placing an order for SN skincare in the next few days and plan to add a foundation sample kit, but would really appreciate "recipe" help. I don't really know my colors in anything mineral makeup wise because I've never found anything that works for and therefore have never been past the "sampling" stage. I'm fair and burn easily. For some reason I'm having a really difficult time posting pictures, but here is a link to previous post from last spring in which I posted a couple of pictures of myself: http://host.silknaturals.com/forum/view ... hp?t=3059.. Thanks so much for any help!
I am leaning Warm Gold 1 scoop color to about 12 white. It is possible you would get matches with Ebony or Buttery Gold, too. (Ebony at 1:9 or 10, Buttery Gold at 1:11).
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
allyb

Post by allyb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks very much Jen! I will give those a try when I receive my order.
fromstarstuff

Post by fromstarstuff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I would love some suggestions on where to start. I have been using Meow Cosmetics in Inquisitive Siamese. I tried tons of samples and that was the closest match for me. I ended up using the highest level of coverage because when I started, I hadn't really been taking care of my face. Plus, I have lupus, so I regularly end up with a very red rash across my nose and cheeks. I chose the makeup based on covering that rash and some scarring from cystic acne. Now that I've actually been taking care of my skin, the foundation isn't working out at all. Also, I recently changed my hair color from jet black to around level 4 brunette (which is basically my natural color), so that makes a big difference. Whereas before I liked looking very, very matte pale with dark hair, now I'd like to look a little less...severe?...most of the time.

The issue with the color is that while it looks fine in the yellow lighting I have through my house, it just doesn't work outdoors. If I'm in the sunlight, my face looks grey/chalky. I snapped a few shots, both with and without makeup on.

This is completely makeup-free, with just a serum and moisturizer, beside natural light. This is probably the best my skin has looked in years, and I think I can get away with lighter coverage and a little more dewy look, though I really do not like all the red/pink. I do need to go to slightly heavier coverage when my lupus flares up because I turn bright red across my nose and cheeks, but I figure if I'm mixing my own, that won't be a problem.

This is with the heaviest coverage level of Inquisitive Siamese, in yellow light.

However, this is what it looks like with flash. (Ignore the angry face.)

I realize flash doesn't give a realistic representation of the coloring, but under some lighting I feel it still has that weird chalky look. Again, I don't know if this is a color issue or the result of wearing too heavy coverage. Also, this was a really fast application, so you can see yellow poking out around my bottom lip and at my hairline. Again, when I feel like indulging my inner gothling, this is fine, but not so much for all the time.

What really has made me decide to switch is because my entire skincare routine is now SN products, and like I said, my skin looks better than it has in years. Even lower coverage levels of Meow makes me itch. If I happen to sweat, the skin underneath my eyes actually starts burning. And I live in Florida, so...yeah, that happens a lot.

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for the help!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

fromstarstuff-

I would try Olive or Ebony, although I am really leaning Olive at about a 1:15 ratio. (Ebony will be about 1:9 or 10, but I think it will end up looking flat on your skin.) Usually the lighter the coverage, the less chance for a chalky look, and a better match. If your skin is pretty sensitive, I would try the All Purpose Foundation. To add a more dewey look, you can sub a few of the white scoops with Glow Base.
Faves-
fromstarstuff

Post by fromstarstuff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you! I never in a million years would have guessed olive, but now that you've said it, I think you're right. I'm excited to try it out!
Blue-L

Post by Blue-L » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 am

Hi, new here and a rookie at this :geek:

I have long wanted to try this makeup but is unsure what colors suit me. The hardest thing for me is to determine which skin tone I have and which color foundation suits my skin! All other foundations I've tried have not been 100% perfect match, I have always been unsatisfied .. :( Sooo I thought to check with the experts here :idea:
Here are some pictures of me. The second two are taken in my bathroom with the lights on and the light from the window. The first one is in daylight.

What am I? Warm, cold, neutral? So hard! Which would you foundationton recommend to me?
Attachments
bild.JPG
bild.JPG (104.45 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
bild2.JPG
bild2.JPG (113.43 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
bild3.JPG
bild3.JPG (137.02 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 am

Blue-L

I would call you slightly on the warm side of neutral....very similar to me. What that means, is that you can really wear just about any color you want as far as color products go. Then you would usually choose based on your clothing choices.....if you wear lots of browns and less saturated colors, go warmer tones. If you wear blacks and vibrant shades, go cooler.

I would give Olive a go. Probably 1 scoop color to about 12 white.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Faves-
Blue-L

Post by Blue-L » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 am

Me again..

I couldn't post more than 3 pics at the time so here is onw more..

This is me with out any make up on my face (mascara only) in daylight.
Attachments
bild4.JPG
bild4.JPG (113.99 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
Blue-L

Post by Blue-L » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 am

JenW wrote:Blue-L

I would call you slightly on the warm side of neutral....very similar to me. What that means, is that you can really wear just about any color you want as far as color products go. Then you would usually choose based on your clothing choices.....if you wear lots of browns and less saturated colors, go warmer tones. If you wear blacks and vibrant shades, go cooler.

I would give Olive a go. Probably 1 scoop color to about 12 white.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Thank you so much!

I always thought that I went more toward olive, but here in Scandinavia, they are not so used to this skin type (most are quite pale with pink tones) so it has been difficult to find the right tone, even for professional makeup sellers I've been talking to!

I'll try this and come back if I have more questions! Thnx again!
Map1e

Post by Map1e » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi, I am new to mineral makeup and would appreciate it if you can help me find the correct ratio. I've tried some tinted moisturizer before, but they were never a perfect match for my skin tone. I am hoping that mineral foundation would be something that would work for me.
Here's a pic of me; not sure if you can see it, but I have slightly red cheeks. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG (57.48 KiB) Viewed 2960 times