5th Ave help

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
pinkfox

5th Ave help

Post by pinkfox » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Got my order today and this is a GORGEOUS color! One of my staff gave me a cute blue tee today and I thought I'd wear it on dress down Friday. I want to wear 5th Ave, maybe as a wash(?), but not quite sure what to pair with it so it's not too blue. Definitely don't want to end up with a Mimi look, LOL! I was also thinking of using Best Friends/Forever as a blush/lippie combo but am open to other suggestions too. THANKS!
Lyn
Know yourself!
See Spot. See Spot Change.
See Doctor... or See Spot Kill.
educate yourself
http://www.mpip.org

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!
ladycattat

Re: 5th Ave help

Post by ladycattat » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi Pinkfox,
I got 5th Ave this week also and def agree it's a gorgeous color. However I think it's a little hard to work with as a wash since the color is really saturated, and you do risk the Mimi factor!

I did want to do kind of a Miami Beach/Coral and Turquoise kind of look so I used Vanilla to highlight under the brow, Quiver from lashline to crease, 5th Ave blended out in the V, and Peacock cream liner.
I used Tiger Lily eyeshadow as a matte peach blush(fab on warm fair skin!) and Temptation kisser slicker over a coral lipstick. I wore white jeans and a salmon top.
I think this is really a *statement color*. Maybe not something I'll use a lot, but when I do wear it, it'll be fun.

Wear it with your shirt on Friday, but sparingly!

HTH.
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
LionT

Post by LionT » Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Thks for the description! It really sounds like a "statement color"!
Early spring mix:
2WG+2BG+1ebony+1/4 olive+ 36ivory
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 am

Not sure if it helps, but I wore mine with Poly as crease and upper lash liner, but blended out both colors pretty well. I wore Truly lippie with Forever blush. I was wearing a teal top and jeans to work, and I don't think it was too much. You could also use Twister instead of Poly.

Another option would be Boom on the lid and crease with 5th Ave - I've done that with Twister, nicely blended out, and it worked.
You could maybe try to combine it with Earth too: it's neutral enough, and has a bit of turquoise in there to work.

Tip: try a few combinations on the back of your hand first, and don't forget to use the same primer there if you use any on your lids,
to make sure you get the same effect.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 am

I always like a peach and blue look, peach as a wash, and blue/teal in the crease, and foiled as liner. If you don't want it to be too intense (particularly if you are wearing blue) you could just foil it as liner with a more neutral shadow.
Having said that I don't have 5th ave!
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Thu May 20, 2010 7:56 pm

I wore it today as a crease color with Vanilla from lash line to brow, black mascara, a bit of black liner smudged in well, Climax blush, and a sheer gold lip gloss. I was going for simple as possible as I was in a hurry, and it worked well...that's as close to a "wash" look as I'd get with it though, otherwise you may look like Mimi! :lol:

I didn't use a primer because I wanted the color to blend out really well. It looked really pretty and summery, though on some people all that Vanilla may be too light. 5th Ave. blended out to look more aquamarine on me than I initially expected. It was a nice surprise (since I'm a huge aquamarine fan) and made it more wearable than it looks in swatches. I was wearing a multi colored shirt that has green, black, blue, and gray in it, with jeans.

So, I'd suggest trying it out tonight before you wear it tomorrow just to see how the color looks on your skin, that may inspire you enough to know which color you want to see it with! I think it would make a great summer eye look with either peach (I wear Sizzle that way), light brown, or even a cool gray. Let us know what you come up with!

ETA: I wear glasses, the frames I was wearing today are silver toned and the eye look didn't clash with them at all or make my eyes look overwhelmed...a problem I have sometimes with wearing colorful eye looks and my glasses. HTH!
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Thu May 20, 2010 8:01 pm

I had a first, quick play with 5th avenue today as the most sensational pearlescent liner around the inner corner of my eyes, with Rollick lining the outer corners and a smudge of Romp on the lid. Lashings of black mascara and it all came together superbly. I never thought I could ("should", really) wear bright bolds.

Thea's collection is such a triumph because the textures are so very wearable. Perfectly pitched between pearl and shimmer, not too much of either, so they look fresh, contemporary but easy-to-wear springtime casual in daylight, and yet they sizzle sumptuously in electric light. Very accomplished for a first collection, especially because being mid-30s, so many bold mineral colours from other brands can be down-right unattractive and unflattering to ageing eyes... ahem :oops: but these have the same trustworthy SN hallmark of being flattering and fun and wearable. Did I mention wearable?!

Can't wait to try the greens tomorrow.
lilychemgirl

Post by lilychemgirl » Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 am

Darn you all, I think I need to buy 5th ave now :( I have avoided so far because I am trying to cut down on eyeshadows (at least until I wear the many, many, unused ones in my new-and-unused makeup drawer.
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
Ladybug914

Post by Ladybug914 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I am wearing it today as a liner with Earth on the lid and Shantung as a highlighter on the brow bone. It is a fun pop of color! I will try to post a picture in the FOTD thread later. I am off to the dentist right now.
StargirlDi

Post by StargirlDi » Fri May 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I wore it as a wash with black liner and it wasn't too scary!