Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
viel

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by viel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 am

What do you think? I really don't know. I have a blend of 1 Ebony, 0.5 Buttery Gold and about 11 or 12 Ivory, medium cover. To much white? I'm also wearing some mascara and eyliner, but no blush. I took the picture in daylight, standing by the window. I'm looking at the snow in our garden.

Thank you!
Attachments
DSCF1593.JPG
DSCF1593.JPG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 am

viel wrote:What do you think? I really don't know. I have a blend of 1 Ebony, 0.5 Buttery Gold and about 11 or 12 Ivory, medium cover. To much white? I'm also wearing some mascara and eyliner, but no blush. I took the picture in daylight, standing by the window. I'm looking at the snow in our garden.

Thank you!
If anything, just a little too much white. Blush or Bronzer can sometimes help if a foundation is too light. I think I would try leaving out at least one scoop of the white next time. Maybe even two. Otherwise, the tones look really good!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
sima

Post by sima » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:53 pm

JenW wrote: Olive will add a slight green, but quite a bit of brown/red. If the yellow is good, adding Olive in will make it so you need quite a bit more white. If you add more white, the yellow will be off.

Was Buttery Gold too yellow? Or not yellow enough? The answer to that will help in figuring out what adding Olive will do.

I will make sure the ingredients for the vegan foundation can be more easily found, but the only difference between the ingredients for the regular foundation and the vegan foundation is the silk. The ratios are a little different, though. In the winter time some ingredients might be more drying than they are under normal conditions.
Let's see if I can answer your questions properly. I tried 1:5BG this morning, you can see the result in the image below. It was hard to say whether it was yellow enough. I felt like it was too dark (brown) for me too see the yellow at all. Since I want my face to go approximately with my chest, 1:5BG is just too dark. And comparing with my chest, it seems not yellow enough. So the answer is maybe it's not yellow enough? What do you think, looking at the picture?

I also attached a photo with nothing on at all, hoping this will solve all the mysteries. I would say I look paler on the pictures for some reason. Maybe because of the snow all around.

-Sima
Looking at the image: left side is 1:5 BG - you can see a patch on my cheek that is a bit thicker, I wanted to see the color properly. Right side is 1BG:0.5Tempt Tryst:6Ivory
Looking at the image: left side is 1:5 BG - you can see a patch on my cheek that is a bit thicker, I wanted to see the color properly. Right side is 1BG:0.5Tempt Tryst:6Ivory
foundation_on.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
No makeup on at all, outside (on the balcony), no flash.
No makeup on at all, outside (on the balcony), no flash.
no_foundation.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 pm

sima wrote: Let's see if I can answer your questions properly. I tried 1:5BG this morning, you can see the result in the image below. It was hard to say whether it was yellow enough. I felt like it was too dark (brown) for me too see the yellow at all. Since I want my face to go approximately with my chest, 1:5BG is just too dark. And comparing with my chest, it seems not yellow enough. So the answer is maybe it's not yellow enough? What do you think, looking at the picture?

I also attached a photo with nothing on at all, hoping this will solve all the mysteries. I would say I look paler on the pictures for some reason. Maybe because of the snow all around.

-Sima
The 1:5 is definitely too dark. I think you will be closer to 1:8. I also think it is a little too yellow, but that could be remedied by adding a little more white, as yellow is the first color to dilute out (red/pink is usually the last, brown somewhere in the middle). I do think Buttery Gold or Olive from looking at your pic with no makeup. The olive tones in Buttery Gold or Olive base will help with the redness in your complexion to get a match closer to your chest. A ratio for Olive is about 1:12. I don't think the pink is the foundation. There is some pink in your skintone. Also, I think most skintones in your depth wash out in the winter time. Your recipe from winter to summer will not be the same, even though they will be close.

In looking at the pics again, I really think Olive. I don't see a whole lot of yellow in your face, but maybe slight in your chest and neck. It could be that your face skintone is just a little pinker. The olive might tone down the pinkness that is in your face to bring it to a closer match to your chest. It is at least worth a try. (Your skintone looks very similar to mine.)
Faves-
sandymc64

Post by sandymc64 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi, my name is Sandy. I'm brand new here and really interested in trying the foundations. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in the cool category, I have a lot of pink undertones, but I'm not terribly experienced with mineral makeup and definitely not with mixing, but I'm willing to try it, with all the great reviews for this makeup. I'm adding a picture, if I could get some suggestions for what color I should try.

Thanks so much
Sandy
Attachments
misc 027.JPG
misc 027.JPG (53.48 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
hmmiller

Post by hmmiller » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi :) I just ordered the deluxe sample kit and I have no idea what color I should start at. Any suggestions? thanks!

I also have a lot of red discoloration on my cheeks that is really hard to cover because of the texture
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 pm

sandymc64 wrote:Hi, my name is Sandy. I'm brand new here and really interested in trying the foundations. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in the cool category, I have a lot of pink undertones, but I'm not terribly experienced with mineral makeup and definitely not with mixing, but I'm willing to try it, with all the great reviews for this makeup. I'm adding a picture, if I could get some suggestions for what color I should try.

Thanks so much
Sandy
Hi Sandy -

I'd say start with the original formula, probably 1 ebony to 10 ivory - you may well need to lighten it by a scoop or two, but it's easier to lighten than to darken. Grab an extra sample bag of ivory - you're pale, so you'll go through a lot of it. The upside is that a sample bag of ebony will last you FOREVER - I just finished the ebony sample bag I bought for myself three years ago (yes, I'm pale too).
Last edited by Rhys on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

hmmiller wrote:Hi :) I just ordered the deluxe sample kit and I have no idea what color I should start at. Any suggestions? thanks!

I also have a lot of red discoloration on my cheeks that is really hard to cover because of the texture
Just so you don't feel ignored! I want Jen to have a look at you too, because your chin looks cool-toned, and the rest of your face looks a bit warmish in that picture. I think it's the combination of my not-so-great monitor and your picture lighting. But Jen'll be here in a bit, I'm certain.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm here....buried in snow, and it won't stop. Had to run out for more hibernation supplies. ;)

Sandy- I do think Ebony is a good place to start for you. I think I might start at 1:9 and add more white if you need it.

hmmiller- Try Warm Gold at 1 scoop color to about 10+ White. I agree that you look a little coolish toned in the pic, but it is inside with only natural light for a light source. If the Warm Gold mix won't do the trick, we can adjust from there.
Faves-
sandymc64

Post by sandymc64 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:48 pm

thank you so much Rhys and Jen. I'm so excited to try this. You both are so great to get back with me so quickly. I'm off to order.

Take Care,
Sandy :D