Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:06 pm

sweetjasmine wrote:Hi Jen,

I need your help again. Now that I've discovered that I'm a yellow/peach mix...I would like to salvage some previous mixes where I used Olive. What do you recommend me adding to a 1 olive: 13 ivory mix to achieve a yellowy-peach tone? Should I add some peach, wg or ebony to the mix?
It will need yellow more than anything.

You can always one scoop per recipe of the 1Olive:13 white mix to the mix that works......it is close to the right depth. 1 scoop of the mix you mention above to one batch of your current recipe.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
sweetjasmine

Post by sweetjasmine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 am

Thank you, Jen! You're the BEST!!! :D
carro

Post by carro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 am

This is warm gold as you suggested, about 1:10 (lost count :oops: ).
Maybe too light? It didn´t look as yellow as I thought when mixed with that much white but ebony really turned pink when mixed With a lot of white.
Still don´t think it is a perfect match, but I can´t put the finger on it.
What do You think, any changes?
carro

Post by carro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:40 am

Adding two pictures with the rest of the makeup with two different lightings, no flash. Flirt as blush.
Looks better than just the pic with just the foundation.
What fininsh should I use? Also would like to add some glow, maybe one of the perfecting glows?

Don´t mind the messy "morning-hair".
Thank You for Your time!
sima

Post by sima » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

JenW wrote:Hi Sima, and Welcome to the forum!

I think you are on the right track with the Buttery Gold. As for the turning pink......is it possible it is not olive enough? There is some degree of olive in Buttery Gold, but you might need a touch of Green Booster. I have a feeling if you tried our Olive, it would not be yellow enough, and you would need to add Yellow Booster. We do have several who once wore Buff Perfect that now wear an Olive mix.

This is the driest time of the year for powder foundations. Do you use any types of mist for your face? What about your skincare routine? You just need to be sure you are adding hydration to the skin and sealing it in somehow. I know I have to be extra vigilent about hydrating the skin in the winter.
Thank you for your answer Jen, and sorry for not getting back sooner. I commute to another city right now and barely have the time to try things out in the daylight =)

In my previous message I forgot to add that I had a sample of Tempt Tryst and what is funny is that the yellowness of it is very similar my skintone's! Can you describe the color mix of Tempt Tryst? Maybe I can imitate it to fit me.

What I did was to do a 1BG:0.5TT:1Perfecting Powder:1Ultimate Luxury Powder:1 Zinc Powder:3 Ivory mix which became a good match, and also felt a bit less dry - not sure if I imagine it. It was definitely less pink than the BG-only mix. I will experiment with it further. I would like to have it a little bit lighter.

If I add some Olive to my mix - which other colors will it boost (other than green)? Will it add up to a lot of red? Right now I want to avoid sending for a Green Booster, so any suggestions on getting the green there are welcome =)

Regarding my skincare routine - I don't have one, or I have a very simple one. If I hydrate it is with an Aloe Vera cream/gel from Forever Living (I can really recommend it!). Since I haven't had to think about this with EDM even in winter, I was thinking it was an ingredient I may be sensitive to, even though the ingredients of SN are few and natural - anyone else that had this experience?
I tried to find a list of ingredients for the Vegan Perfect Harmony Foundation thinking I should try that, but found only a list for "Vegan Perfecting Powder" - is that the same thing or something entirely different? (Since above it was the ingredients list for "Perfecting Powder").

Thanks for the input so far!

-Sima
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm

carro wrote: This is warm gold as you suggested, about 1:10 (lost count :oops: ).
Maybe too light? It didn´t look as yellow as I thought when mixed with that much white but ebony really turned pink when mixed With a lot of white.
Still don´t think it is a perfect match, but I can´t put the finger on it.
What do You think, any changes?
I really would not say it is too light. But I do think there is something just a little off. I think you need less peach and more yellow.....Can you try Buttery Gold in about the same ratio?

Your pics where you have added in the rest of your makeup look really good, even though the match isn't quite as good as it could be.

For adding a little glow, the Perfecting Glows would be good. Another thing that some do is to add a few scoops of Glow Foundation base in place of a few of their Ivory scoops in their foundation recipe.
Faves-
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm

sima wrote:
Thank you for your answer Jen, and sorry for not getting back sooner. I commute to another city right now and barely have the time to try things out in the daylight =)

In my previous message I forgot to add that I had a sample of Tempt Tryst and what is funny is that the yellowness of it is very similar my skintone's! Can you describe the color mix of Tempt Tryst? Maybe I can imitate it to fit me.

What I did was to do a 1BG:0.5TT:1Perfecting Powder:1Ultimate Luxury Powder:1 Zinc Powder:3 Ivory mix which became a good match, and also felt a bit less dry - not sure if I imagine it. It was definitely less pink than the BG-only mix. I will experiment with it further. I would like to have it a little bit lighter.

If I add some Olive to my mix - which other colors will it boost (other than green)? Will it add up to a lot of red? Right now I want to avoid sending for a Green Booster, so any suggestions on getting the green there are welcome =)

Regarding my skincare routine - I don't have one, or I have a very simple one. If I hydrate it is with an Aloe Vera cream/gel from Forever Living (I can really recommend it!). Since I haven't had to think about this with EDM even in winter, I was thinking it was an ingredient I may be sensitive to, even though the ingredients of SN are few and natural - anyone else that had this experience?
I tried to find a list of ingredients for the Vegan Perfect Harmony Foundation thinking I should try that, but found only a list for "Vegan Perfecting Powder" - is that the same thing or something entirely different? (Since above it was the ingredients list for "Perfecting Powder").

Thanks for the input so far!

-Sima
Olive will add a slight green, but quite a bit of brown/red. If the yellow is good, adding Olive in will make it so you need quite a bit more white. If you add more white, the yellow will be off.

Was Buttery Gold too yellow? Or not yellow enough? The answer to that will help in figuring out what adding Olive will do.

I will make sure the ingredients for the vegan foundation can be more easily found, but the only difference between the ingredients for the regular foundation and the vegan foundation is the silk. The ratios are a little different, though. In the winter time some ingredients might be more drying than they are under normal conditions.
Faves-
JJones

Foundation help please :)

Post by JJones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey!
I have just recieved my mineral foundation but am having a bit of trouble getting the colours right. I am quite pale and eyes are blue (if this is relevant!). I apologise my skin is not looking its best in the uploaded photo. Any help is very much appreciated!
Thankyou, Jasmine
p.s i am new to this posting thing so please lemme kno if it has been done incorrectly. Cheers!
Attachments
P2040405.JPG
P2040405.JPG (477.74 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
lody

Post by lody » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 am

Hi :) I'm thinking of trying silk naturals. I've been color matched to a mac nw25 but nc30 looked nearly invisible on my face too. I'm also posting a picture (I might look a *tad* pinker than I normally do on it). Which color bases do you think I would do best with?

viel

Post by viel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 am

Hi Jen!

I forgot to thank you for your quick response! :oops:

My skin looked rosy with the ebony mix. I added 0.5 scoop of warm gold and some more ivory..
In the picture I posted it does not show that I am bit yellow (or golden, or something) on my neck.
Sandy fair from EDM is a close match, but something is missing.

I guess I will come back to you soon, with a picture to get some more advise.

Thanks again! You are the best!

/viel