Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:27 pm

UmEnis wrote: Jen, if you are out there, how much buttery gold would you suggest? what would a smidgen be in a full batch? .25 like Annika? I think the original question might have gotten lost among the others over the holidays. I know you recommend the yellow color booster, but right now its not possible for me to get any.
Ah, yes, it did get burried. I am sorry I missed it. This is why I appreciate a gentle nudge every now and again.

How big is your full batch (did you use larger spoons)? What ratio did you use in your full batch? Also, do you have more Ivory on hand?

I can definitely give you an idea of where to start....I do recommend adding a little at time. Also, the Buttery Gold has the golden/brown foundation component that is missing in the Yellow Booster, so it might be necessary to add a little more Ivory.

ETA: I just reread your post......Was your batch 1:12 with Olive? if so, you might want to add a half scoop of Buttery Gold and about 2 more scoops Ivory if you have it.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Lillpinglan wrote:Hi!

I just found out about Silk Naturals, I'm eager to try it out! What colours would you recommend? Foundation, concealer, blush, eye shadows... everything! :)

I've heard that i have "spring colours". My hair is reddish/dark blonde, my eyes are grey/blue, my skin is light. I do not tan easily. I tend to look my best in bright pink, turquoise but warm shades. I think I have yellow undertones, but I have no idea if I also have pink ones..

I have tried BE foundation, "Light", which I think worked for me.

I don't have a picture with me without make up, but this one may give you a hint?

Thank you,
/Lillpinglan
I am thinking Warm Gold. You will probably be at a 1 scoop color to 7 Ivory. For undereye concealer Light Peach Sleep in a Jar. For spot concealer, you can mix foundation a little lighter (and maybe even heavier) that what you end up using. For example, if your ratio in Original Coverage Ivory is 1WarmGold:7Ivory, you can mix up a concealer in about the same ratio in Medium Coverage and it will be slightly lighter.

Blush...for a natural look Maybe Baby, also give Satisfied a try. Finishers...try Date Bait or Tempt Tryst.
Eyes...this one is always tough for me to narrow down. Do you ligke brights, shimmers, mattes, neutrals? That will help me! One that I think you need is Purr.
Faves-
Lillpinglan

Post by Lillpinglan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:01 pm

JenW wrote:
Lillpinglan wrote:Hi!

I just found out about Silk Naturals, I'm eager to try it out! What colours would you recommend? Foundation, concealer, blush, eye shadows... everything! :)

I've heard that i have "spring colours". My hair is reddish/dark blonde, my eyes are grey/blue, my skin is light. I do not tan easily. I tend to look my best in bright pink, turquoise but warm shades. I think I have yellow undertones, but I have no idea if I also have pink ones..

I have tried BE foundation, "Light", which I think worked for me.

I don't have a picture with me without make up, but this one may give you a hint?

Thank you,
/Lillpinglan
I am thinking Warm Gold. You will probably be at a 1 scoop color to 7 Ivory. For undereye concealer Light Peach Sleep in a Jar. For spot concealer, you can mix foundation a little lighter (and maybe even heavier) that what you end up using. For example, if your ratio in Original Coverage Ivory is 1WarmGold:7Ivory, you can mix up a concealer in about the same ratio in Medium Coverage and it will be slightly lighter.

Blush...for a natural look Maybe Baby, also give Satisfied a try. Finishers...try Date Bait or Tempt Tryst.
Eyes...this one is always tough for me to narrow down. Do you ligke brights, shimmers, mattes, neutrals? That will help me! One that I think you need is Purr.
Wow, thank you tons for such a quick response! :) I heard that I have to mix my own stuff, I think that I have to study a bit before i place my order. :)

Eyes.. I'm totally lost when it comes to using eye shadows, so I guess that I need neutrals... I want my eyes to look clear, awake, highlighted.. young.. ;).. After that picture was taken I have had another baby and haven't slept for four months. I sooo need a make over! :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Lillpinglan wrote: Wow, thank you tons for such a quick response! :) I heard that I have to mix my own stuff, I think that I have to study a bit before i place my order. :)

Eyes.. I'm totally lost when it comes to using eye shadows, so I guess that I need neutrals... I want my eyes to look clear, awake, highlighted.. young.. ;).. After that picture was taken I have had another baby and haven't slept for four months. I sooo need a make over! :)
Mixing is fairly easy. You will need to make sure you order some type of sample kit. They will include a jar and a small scoop. The scoop is just a smaller version of what you use in your kitchen. I usually level it off on the side of the sample baggie, and tap the contents of the scoop into the jar. Once all the scoops are in there to meet your ratio, you put the lid on and shake. Then you can test it on one side of your face. It does take several minutes to meld with your skin and it will most likely go on looking light.

The Mixed Metals colors are great neutrals in eyeshadow. Tawny, Papyrus, Heather, Burnished...plus Purr (or Sandy if you want a less sparkley version)!

Congrats on the baby....and I hope you get some sleep, soon! My baby is 10 and I sleep well right now.....we will see how I do when he is driving :shock: ......
Faves-
stefami

Post by stefami » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:23 am

Hey Jen,
I tried mixing some of the Vegan formula the other day, and noticed that the color it was when I put it on was the same as it was several hours later. In other words, my Vegan mix did not darken after melding into my skin. Is that normal or am I just imagining things?

Thanks!
UmEnis

Post by UmEnis » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:16 am

Lillpinglan wrote:
I ordered Tawny and really like it (i have a little baby too). I will sometimes do a "no makeup" look using tawny in the crease and a lighter neutral on the lid with brown eyeliner instead of black.
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 am

stefami wrote:Hey Jen,
I tried mixing some of the Vegan formula the other day, and noticed that the color it was when I put it on was the same as it was several hours later. In other words, my Vegan mix did not darken after melding into my skin. Is that normal or am I just imagining things?

Thanks!
I have to admit that my experience with the vegan formula is limited since it just came out in the last several months. I obviously need to pull my samples out and play a little more. I do know the colors mix very similarly, but it makes sense that it would perform slightly differently since the ingredients are a little different.
Faves-
viel

Post by viel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Jen,

I 'd like to try Silk Naturals. Please give me your suggestions on what to order.
My haircolor is original dark blonde. I want to look natural.

Thanks!

/viel
bild 001.jpg
bild 001.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi veil,

I think you will be an Ebony. Your ratio will be 1 scoop Ebony to 10 or so Ivory. Since you want a natural look, I would also try a sample of Date Bait Finishing Powder and Flirt or Maybe Baby Blush. For lips Maiden or Breathless Organic Gloss. For eyeshadow, Sandy and Frenchie, plus maybe a liner like Truffle for a matte brown, or Chocolate Twinkle for a shimmery brown. Or you could go with a brow color that can double as an eyeliner...we do have samples of the brow colors. You will probably be best with Golden Blonde.
Faves-
brandiwine

Post by brandiwine » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi! I would love some help on my foundation. I am currently wearing Golden Fair from EDM. It is a good match and I know there are a few girls here who also wear it that have posted their successful mixes. Here's where it gets weird. I am a cool all the way. I look horrid in yellow, orange, or green, I look better in silver jewelry, and I burn if I even look outside without sunscreen. So I'm really confused about what my undertones are and where to start my mixing. Maybe I just though that Golden Fair was my match. Here is a picture of me without makeup on(taken in indirect sunlight). Please excuse the unruly eyebrows and morning hair. The red mark in the middle of my forehead is a birthmark. It never goes away but is usually easy to cover with makeup. Thanks so much