Lipstick Sealer - pretty, pretty please!

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
freesilk

Lipstick Sealer - pretty, pretty please!

Post by freesilk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I love, love, love the lipsticks and glosses I've purchased from SN-but there's one problem-they come off my lips almost immediately!

If I drink some water or eat something, the color is gone. And since I eat and drink things throughout the day, I end up only having the effect of the lipstick for a few minutes after applying my makeup in the morning before it comes off. Since I'm really not going to re-apply my lipstick ten times throughout the day, I've pretty much given up on wearing lipstick altogether. I've looked at Ulta for a lipstick sealant, but it seems like all the long-lasting sealers on the market are formulated for their specific brands of lipsticks-and before SN I've never really found a lipstick I liked.

Would it be possible to make a sealant-even if it wasn't all-natural?

Thanks!!!
Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so. - Belva Davis
karen
Site Admin

Re: Lipstick Sealer - pretty, pretty please!

Post by karen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:17 pm

I had one waaaay back when- and when I went searching today it looks like they haven't changed much. They're essentially alcohol with some cellulose that forms a film. I remember the one I had really burning, but it sort of worked. I think I have a supplier where I can get them in bulk, but I know that some drugstores, or Sally Beauty supply have them too, and they're not really expensive (less than $5).

I'll ponder how I could make one without alcohol- because that stuff just stings, and it's a little bit drying.

The trick I learned from my Aunt Helen (a life-long Avon lady, and just one of those old-school classy women) was line, apply lipstick, and then blot- but with the tissue over your lips apply just a light dusting of powder. That works pretty well. It doesn't hold up through a meal, but it should last you a bit longer.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
freesilk

Re: Lipstick Sealer - pretty, pretty please!

Post by freesilk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks, Karen! 8-)
Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so. - Belva Davis