Correct amount to add to a bigger jar??

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
almmaaa

Correct amount to add to a bigger jar??

Post by almmaaa » Mon May 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I just found my shade and would like to know how to I calculate how much I am going to mix when I get the full size baggies and jar? I'd like to know this first before I go ahead and purchase them. Also what I mixed in the sample jar was one little scoop of warm gold and 4 of the white powder. How would that translate to the full size jar??
THanks hope my question isnt confusing LOL.
Alma
JenW

Re: Correct amount to add to a bigger jar??

Post by JenW » Mon May 05, 2008 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, Alma!

Since your ratio is pretty close in number, the easiest thing for you to do is to use a larger measuring spoon. I would recommend a 1/4 tsp. You can measure the one part Warm Gold, and the 4 parts white into your jar and mix without the sifter just as you did to find your ratio. Then add the sifter in later. It just allows the powders to mix more thoroughly. I am not sure I would go to a larger spoon, as you will need space for the powders to mix. If you think there is enough space to go up a spoon next time to 1/2 tsp (or double your volume) and have mixing space, it might be worth a try.

For those of us who have ratios that are farther apart (like 1 to 10), we need a few spoons to get our ratio in larger amounts. The spoon from your kit measures 1/32. A standard 1/4 tsp is equivalent to 8 small scoops, and if you are lucky enough to have a Dash (1/8 tsp) measuring spoon it is equivalent to 4 small scoops. In the 1:10 scenario, I measure [one small scoop of dark + (1/4 tsp White + 2 small scoops White)] about three times. Mix according to the directions above.

Another thing to remember is that you can lighten or darken as needed. If you have any other questions, we are happy to help.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
almmaaa

Post by almmaaa » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi and thank you for the welcome. You have answered my question I appreciate it.
One more question do the minerals have an expiration date?
Thanks again
Alma
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm

I am pretty sure minerals have a very long shelf life as long as you do not touch a brush to the container. There is silk in all of the powdered products from Silk Naturals, and silk is organic. I would plan on a shelf life of two years or so, maybe a little longer.
Faves-
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Tue May 06, 2008 1:28 am

yeah i do about 30 scoops white for a full size jar(i'm a 1:10)
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue May 06, 2008 9:30 pm

If you're doing 30 scoops of white, you might as well use a level teaspoon. That's what I do, anyway - it's a lot quicker.

One teaspoon = 32 scoops. I toss in 2 ebony scoops, and about half a scoop of warm gold to warm it up a little. It's still *slightly* darker than my natural skintone, but just by a tad. I wanted something a little less ghostly than I am that wouldn't look fake and this does the trick.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 pm

The teaspoon would so work for me with Ebony. I am currently a 1:8 plus a little Ebony (I have seeeeen the sun!! :D). 4 scoops Ebony and 1 teaspoon white (= 32 small scoops). Thanks Rhys!
Faves-