Can we layer serums?

pinkpomelo

Can we layer serums?

Post by pinkpomelo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 am

Hi Karen,

I want to try the oil control serum, but I also need hydrating. My surface is dehydrated, but below that, I'm "normal". I rarely break out, but my problems are enlarged pores and ruddiness from the veins, and lots of black/white heads.

Will anything bad happen if I use the oil control AND the hydrating ones?

Or if I layer the DMAE serum with the oil control?

I don't want to end up cancelling each other out. I'm intending to try out the DMAE as an all over face and eyes serum (I have bad eye bags & dark circles). But I also want the oil control element because my chin and cheeks get greasy through the day.
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
eekypooh

Re: Can we layer serums?

Post by eekypooh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 am

hahaha pinkpomelo, my face is the exact opposite...
my cheeks, esp the skin below my eyes are always dry, while my nose and forehead always seem to be very reflective after the first hour of washing/putting on make up

The place I used to go for facials told me that I had oily skin on the surface but was dehydrated beneath ...?!?! not sure what they were rattling on about..but got persuaded into buying some super expensive nano serum that was supposed to help my skin absorb my moisturizer better, it did seem slightly (only slightly) better after using that nano serum but it may have also been a placebo. Now Karen's serums.. after 2 weeks of using them, even my DB (dear bf) commented how nicely my skin was coming along..
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

Sure! Put the DMAE on first- let it dry completely, and then put the OC serum on. The emulsifier in the oil control serum does not like to get along with most actives, namely the sodium PCA that's in the serums, but I love the way that emulsifier feels so I used it in the OC serum. FWIW there's tamarind in the OC serum- so it should help with hydration. In theory you don't need to double-up the OC with a hydrating serum, but sometimes the more the merrier!

Eekypooh- that happens to a lot of people, I tend to get an oil slick, combined with flaking around my nose in the winter...essentially you just need more hydration, and most of the time the surface oil clears up on its own once the hydration issue is solved. I'm glad to hear that they're working!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
pinkpomelo

Post by pinkpomelo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks so much, Karen, for the advice. I'm going to get 1 each of everything and try it out with my friends. I already told them to go find tiny containers :) I'll get more of the DMAE cuz the more matured ladies in church deserve a bit of pampering.

I'm hoping the OC will be enough because I know my lazy self, if I have to wait for a layer to dry, I'll probably do it for a week and then fizzle out -- haha!
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:07 am

I'm lazy like that too...I usually put a serum on, eat breakfast, and then do my makeup- either that or you can do the OC serum in the morning, and the DMAE at night.

That's so sweet that you're passing it out in church! Every woman deserves a little something special.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
elianne

Post by elianne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:40 pm

eekpooh: I have the same skin as yours. Oily but dehydrated underneath. Using heavier creams seems to help so far but my skin still looks tired esp during winter. Which of Karen's serums have you been using?