Stonewashed Nudes Palette on Warm Skintones

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
seraphim

Stonewashed Nudes Palette on Warm Skintones

Post by seraphim » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum but I need some help!

Ever since I first came upon SN, I've been lemming the Stonewashed Nudes dupe but being a student, I waited and decided to read up on the pallet before making the plunge.

In one review, they said that the palette was more for cool skintones, so being Asian and more golden-warm toned, I was wondering if this was the case, and if anyone else who is warm toned have tried it and what you think about it. I am not the bold colour kind of a make-up wearer so such a neutral and classic palette really grabbed my attention when I saw it.

If I get it, I will probably go all out and get the three complementing SN colours as well, so any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated =)
Last edited by seraphim on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JenW

Re: Stonewashed Nudes Pallet on Warm Skintones

Post by JenW » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:38 pm

I am not as warm toned as you. However, I do find that most of the colors fall very neutral or very close on both sides of neutral. I can't imagine anyone not being able to wear this palette, including a golden warm. It is very universal. The dark brown (Basalt) is really more of a warm black. The two warmest would probably be Aztec and Quartzite. Bone is basic for anyone. I find Slate as a slightly warm gray, rather than cool, but it works for even my 'coolest' friends :) . Moonstone is a taupish gray, and Terra is a true taupe. Both of those are very neutral. I am neutral in the winter and warm up quite a bit in the summer and can wear these colors always. They are a great starting point for any look.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
seraphim

Re: Stonewashed Nudes Palette on Warm Skintones

Post by seraphim » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks Jen! It seems like it's more on the warm side from what you're describing =) That's a relief...I think I am pretty settled on getting these...haha it's just a matter of when....

A kind of off-topic question...has anyone pressed SN shadows before? Since this pallet is so universal, I want to press them into a palette (hopefully I'll find one with 10 slots) so that it's more easily accessible to use on those rushed days (since it will most likely be used for those days, being a neutral and all).
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

Hi, Seraphim! You might want to ask the question about pressing e/s in the Chit Chat section as a separate thread so it doesn't get missed ~ in fact, there might be a thread here already somewhere,LOL! ;)

I'm not particularly cool...sometimes look cool
6k mikie.jpg
6k mikie.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
,sometimes much warmer
mikie & TK.jpg
mikie & TK.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
. I am not normally "drawn to neutrals" but find the BB Stonewashed Nudes Pallette to be amazing! They look SO ho-hum in the jars :roll: that I couldn't believe they'd be amazing when applied but they *are*. There's something downright *wow* when they are applied together. They are a GREAT investment to my way of thinking!

mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
seraphim

Post by seraphim » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:35 pm

thanks mikie! aww I love how you have your pictures with (I assume?) your pets! So cute! ^^

Would anyone happen to have any EOTD's using the palette? I've checked the FOTD thread but I'd like to see some beautiful close ups with some whole face looks with the palette colours. I understand that you should only use 2-3 colours each time though =) I read somewhere that Bobbi Brown intended for it to only be worn two colours at a time...
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm

seraphim wrote:Would anyone happen to have any EOTD's using the palette? I've checked the FOTD thread but I'd like to see some beautiful close ups with some whole face looks with the palette colours. I understand that you should only use 2-3 colours each time though =) I read somewhere that Bobbi Brown intended for it to only be worn two colours at a time...
So far I have been the only one putting up FOTD/EOTD. Where are the rest of us, Beauties? I will try to start adding some, though! I love neutrals, I have just been trying to expand my comfort zone a little!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
seraphim

Post by seraphim » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:59 pm

JenW wrote: So far I have been the only one putting up FOTD/EOTD. Where are the rest of us, Beauties? I will try to start adding some, though! I love neutrals, I have just been trying to expand my comfort zone a little!
Yah I saw all your lovely FOTDs, Jen! I would love to see some close EOTD's too since you have gorgeous eyes =) Hopefully I'll be able to get some up too, but I'm still figuring out my SN foundation mix so I'd like to get that down pat before posting one so I can have a nice all SN FOTD =D I already use mainly SN Blushes and glows anyways =)
clara

Post by clara » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:08 pm

If you end up getting it, tell us how it turns out on you :) I've got warm skin too--I'm Asian--and I've been thinking about getting the palette.

As far as pressing, minerals are harder to press because they don't have any binders--if you use the MAC Pigment method with rubbing alcohol, the moment you try to use it it'll all turn into powder again. If you go on YouTube, Enkore has a video on pressing mineral makeup--he has a whole channel of stuff, I think. I believe he uses something from MAC to do it, but you can buy samples of it through Stars Makeup Haven or something like that.
seraphim

Post by seraphim » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks for the tips Clara. I've tried pressing minerals before...but the last few all fell apart so I'm kind of scared now...I think I just wasn't pressing them enough...I used the rubbing alcohol method...I was just wondering if anyone had done SN one's specifically because of the different ingredients...but I don't know how big of a difference it would make.

I really do want to buy the set...but I'm on a budget to save right now...so it is a matter of when and how much I can cut back on other things in order to afford it (altogether with shipping to Canada it'll be just under $40 for the set plus the three complementary SN shades).

I'm wondering if I need ALL the shades as well...maybe I can just pick 4 from the palette...but they ALL look so nice! ><

[edit] OKAY for sure I am getting this! haha I just went around looking for EOTD's of this on other forums, and found one that's of the actual Bobbi Brown palette (but I trust that Karen's duped them so that I can get the same quality and look from SN's)

Check out this thread from MakeupTalk:
http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/f11/bo ... 58376.html

And this image sold me:
Thanks to Thais :)
seraphim

Post by seraphim » Sun May 18, 2008 5:44 pm

My order FINALLY came and I did swatches. I'll post them here for reference so that you can see them on a warmer undertone. The pictures are taken in sunlight (during sunset actually) so the colour temperature is warmer too (did not plan this, that was just when I got home to find the package).

From left to right: Bone, moonstone, aztec, quartzite, terra, slate, basalt, beach plum, scallop pink, caperberry

Here is the review that I posted on my vox :)

My verdict? I LOVE THEM!!! Every single one! If I had to pick a favourite...I think it would be moonstone. A beautiful light grey to taupe colour (I really like taupes...they're so unique looking) that works wonderfully as an all over wash as well as a single eye shadow. Next would be bone. It's the perfect highlight colour that allows me to blend away any harsh lines to mesh into my skintone. As you can see from the swatch, you can hardly SEE it! haha it but there is a tiny bit of shimmer that catches the right amount of light.

Judging from the jars, the middle three browns all look really similar, but once swatched I could see their subtle but beautiful differences. All of these work beautifully as a single shadow colour and also work well with each other. If you use these three together in any duo combination then you can really build depth with them. I like how they each have their own respective shimmer levels too.

I loooove LOVE basalt as a liner shade. I use my ecotools eyeliner brush and I can really push the colour into my lashline and it looks so soft and natural but defines the eye nicely. It STAYS so well too!

Beach Plum is a great outer V shade that adds a little pop to the nudes. Scallop pink is the most shimmery out of them all and it can work as an all over wash as well as the highlight shadow up to the brow bone. Caperberry is an excellent smokey eye shade with a touch of olive green but has enough brown so that it looks like a typical smokey eye.

Here is an EOTD of caperberry, Quartzite and Bone with Basalt as a liner. They blend SO well! I don't think I've ever used such blendable shadows before.

What I love the most about this palette is the low shimmer (and sheen of the mattes) that each shadow produces (minus basalt since its a liner shade). I can apply them with a light hand or really build up the colour with more layers.

They are SO versatile! The only bad thing is that these came on the weekend where my first assignment paper is due and I totally procrastinate by going off to play with these xD I am procastinating right now as I write this too! haha but back to work! Hope the review has helped! Now I just have to figure out the best way to store them so that I can grab them on those rushed mornings.