Lip Gloss for my mom

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
krenee

Lip Gloss for my mom

Post by krenee » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:19 am

I am going to get my mom a gloss and a sample size blush as part of her Mother's Day gift. My mom does not wear much makeup. She will not wear any eye makeup at all because she says it makes her eyes itch. She'll wear a little foundation, a little blush, and sometimes lipstick and that's it. So, I don't think bright colors would be for her. I am trying to decide on a gloss that is not "too much" of anything (too bright, too pink, too peach, too red, too brown etc) that she would wear and a blush that would sort of complement it (one of the more subtle blushes, probably.) Not over-the-top and "Wearable" would be best for her. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Jen, Mikie?
~*mikie*~

Re: Lip Gloss for my mom

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 am

It's hard to say! What I think is subtle because of my coloring may seem more striking to others with paler skintones. Maybe my experiences will come in handier as gals unwittingly get summer color,lol. Hard to go wrong with DateBait or LoveLure, Climax & Foreplay, in my book..but again, based on my own coloring. What's your mother's coloring like?
2433751279_c450c04dac_m.jpg
2433751279_c450c04dac_m.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Mikie- Your enthusiasm on the brighter colors has definitely gotten my attention! I am trying to go there more often myself as a result. I thank you for easing me out of my 'safe' zone. Also I am sure I will feel more comfortable wearing them when I get some color this summer!

Karmen- If she is not normally a makeup wearer I would probably go with a matte blush. Is her coloring similar to yours? I know you are pretty neutral but a bit darker than I am. Blushes in the sheer matte range are Flirt, Jamie, Cocoaberry. These are foolproof and easy to apply for the fair to medium gals. If her coloring is darker than yours you might want to try the more pigmented ones which would be Vixen and Pretty Plum. The darker blushes take a bit more attention to the amount used if you are in the fair to medium range. I would add Tart Light there, but she may be shocked by the color in the jar (it is lovely on, though.) My blush staple is Climax. It does have a slight shimmer, but not as much as some of the others.

For lippies in the subtle range to go with them:
Flirt is the pinkest. I would go with Breathless.
Jamie is the in between pink and brown. I would go with Birthday Suit.
Cocoaberry is the brownest, but still not really brown. I would go with Skinny Dip.
Really any combo of the above would work well. I would also wear Climax with any of these.

I did this swatch for Eva awile back and it happens to have all of them on there. The thing to remember on the lippie swatches is that they will be a bit different on your lips. This is more for comparison of colors.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
krenee

Post by krenee » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Jen, I love your swatches! I am so glad you're a friend, 'cause you always have them when I need them. :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking on what she might like.
My mom has a lighter skin tone than me. (I don't think she's overdone the sun in her day like I have!) If I am light medium to medium beige, she is probably light beige. She has darker hair than me too. I have medium brown hair and she is more of a soft shade of black.
Truthfully her coloring probably isn't that far off from yours Jen - although I think you have a warmer skin tone/more yellow than she does.
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:23 am

Karmen,
I think any of those blushes will work very well for her in the sheer range. I am glad I could help!
Faves-
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat May 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey Karmen

I'm not as experience as most people on this forum (only been wearing makeup for a coupe of months now) but for lippies for your mum I would recommend either gold blush (its an almost clear/light colour) or damsel (not as natural looking as gold blush, it has more of a kick to it). But if your in doubt you can't go wrong with clear lip gloss.

Mothers are always picky about their makeup aren't they :D

Also mikie - Love the photo of you and karen. You look very comfortable with all the cosmetics in front of you :lol:
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sat May 03, 2008 4:24 pm

i agree with most of the suggestions

goof-proof lippies:gold blush(almost clear pinky shimmer), birthday suit(sheer nude) or jaybird (sheer reddish nude),pout (perfectly pink), and i would add breathless and infatuation to the list.

goof-proof blushes: cocoaberry(sheer and beautiful), sassy (perfectly peach) which is similar to rich, bronze beauty, and lovelace, and climax really does look good on everyone (i've used it on a lot of skin tones from goth white to mediterranean olives and tan)

Love Lure is a great finishing powder with a hint of color.

You might look at thr gifts under $10 section. There's a basic set with perfecting powder, angel glow, and a clear lippie and then a warm set and a cool set with coordinating lippie, shadow and glow
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun May 04, 2008 9:49 am

Foreplay is another one that's worked on everybody I've put it on, which surprised me - it's not too warm for me, either (I'm way more pinky than gold, despite the lighting in the pic).

If Berry Crush is a bit cooler (I'm waiting on the post) then it's GOT to be a knockout shade. I think Berry Nice would work on anybody, too.

Jaybird strikes me as more of a lipstick variety of Birthday Suit though it's still got a glossy finish - between a gloss and a lipstick.

And Pout is my all-time favourite perfect pink.

For blushes - Climax is pretty universal, and Flirt is another one of those shades that seems to pick up the best in everyone's skintone. I'm betting Tart Light would, too (haven't had a chance to test it on anyone but me), though it might be off-putting to your mum because of how it looks in the jar - but it's a worthy contender.
krenee

Post by krenee » Sun May 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!!
I *think* (at the moment) that I am going to go with Breathless and Flirt. They have that pinkish-ness that she may like. Unless I change my mind before I (finally) get the order placed (hopefully this evening.) I need to get that done, don't I?! beings that Mother's Day is next weekend - !
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun May 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Breathless and Flirt are great choices. I think it is hard to go wrong! Happy Mother's Day, Karmen's Mom!!!
Faves-