Lippie Shade??

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
luscious

Lippie Shade??

Post by luscious » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi..i wanna try the glosses and lipsticks..but i dont know what shade to get..i read that birthday suit is nude..but other reviewers said that its dark. im fair and i prefer nude lippies or light colored pigmented lippies (pink,peach)..as dark colors make me look totally made up and old for my age. Can you please suggest shades that are nude (nude for my shade) or light colored ?? also brown doesn't look nice on me. thank you so much! :)
JenW

Re: Lippie Shade??

Post by JenW » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Welcome to our forum, first of all. It would also help me to know some of the rest of your coloring (like hair, eyes).

As far as Birthday Suit being dark, I really don't think it is. I am not fair, but only a little darker than that, but my features are dark. I usually fall between medium and fair somewhere. I actually am wearing it in my avatar. If you want to see the pic larger, find the FOTD thread under General Makeup Talk. Other Nudes are Skinny Dip and Toffee, with Toffee being the lightest of the nudes mentioned. Jaybird is a reddish nude, and it is pretty pigmented. One really good color between nude and pink is Breathless. One good peachy pink color is Darling. I hope I have helped a little.

The lipsticks have quite a bit of pigment, but are still wearable. In your case, I really recommend starting with a gloss.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Brown lippies make me look dead :-/ so I hear you! I own Birthday Suit but its use is limited to "can't get away from my desk" times. For a nude lippie, for *me*, I find Breathless to be it. Take a look at Gold Blush & Darling...the *swatches*...as they'll give you a better idea than the concentrated color of 'in a tube' or pot. The sheerness of those 2 make them very wearable...like a wash of color, not "heavy" color, if you know what I mean. Looking at Karen's swatches gives a really good indication of whether something will work or not. Let me know what you choose! I love a LOT of them, but you specified light/nude/pinky/peachy & those 3 come immediately to mind.
Breathless=nude on me, but better
Darling=sheer peachy
Gold Blush=sheer pink with a kiss of gold

mikie
Last edited by ~*mikie*~ on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:08 pm

I think we really need to know your coloring in addition to having a fair skintone. I can't wear lippies as pink as Mikie can. She has a lovely medium-deep warm skintone. Generally, she can carry off those brighter colors and look absolutely perfect, and not made up at all. While Breathless is 'nude' on her, it is about as pink as I can go. I am one step up from fair and pretty neutral. Also, Birthday Suit is not brown on me. It is probably my favorite nude!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 pm

My favorite nude lippie is Skinny DIp. I have warm medium skin tones and usually wear peach blushes or blushes that tend to be more on the orange side of color than the pink ones. Breathless is about a pink as I go also. So in answer to your question, alot of what will be a nude lippie on you is going to depend on the rest of you coloring.

Hollis
luscious

Post by luscious » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks so much ladies..:) my lips is kinda big so too much color makes me look so made up plus brown is really not flattering. I love nudes and i love wearing pink colors.. i think ill try what mikie suggested..thank you so much. :)

Here's a pic and my lippie at that moment is a sheer nude mauve pink lipbalm according to our local mineral brand. Its still a little dark good thing its not that pigmented that i am able to wear it.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:48 pm

The one you're wearing in that picture looks like Damsel does on me, or maybe Ashley. Those might be good bright pinks for you, though they're a bit more sheer than the one you've got on. Pout is my perfect pink sheer lippie. Somebody suggested Gold Blush, and that's another good bet. I can't wear peachy lipgloss normally, but if you can, Darling is a lovely peachy-pink. Foreplay seems to look good on everybody, so that's worth a try, too. If you wanted to go pinky-blue (not as weird as it sounds), maybe try Seedy.
luscious

Post by luscious » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:58 pm

hi..ive got a sample of damsel and on me its much darker than the one im wearing. i love peachy pink shade but peach by itself seems not right for me..
clara

Post by clara » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I have to say that Birthday Suit looks like brown death on me, so I've been using it to tone down really out-of-control colors--kind of brings them down to a more nude version of themselves, but I definitely can't use it on its own. I'm Asian and I have light skin--I don't really remember what my SN ratio is but with MAC I'm an NC25 or so, and I have pretty pigmented lips which may also contribute to how dark it looks on me. I've been looking for a good nude color too but most of them look really funny on me, and I've been finding that nudes with a hint of pink or red are best on my coloring. You look like you have sort of similar undertones so I hope this helps a bit. If you want to try one of the dark nudes maybe Jaybird would work--I haven't tried it yet because I'm not a big fan of dark lip colors, but it may work.