New Blushes: HELP~!

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Rhys

Re: New Blushes: HELP~!

Post by Rhys » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:51 pm

Those FO brushes look perfect for blush - I ordered two of them yesterday. In the meanwhile I've been making do with some floofy brushes I found at Walgreens when I was in the States (about the same price). They aren't dense, which is good when it comes to me and blush because I'm pale, but the FOs look like they'll be a lot easier to work with in terms of precision, and I can keep the floofies for finishing powders, etc. (you can never have too many brushes, and while I love the ones that Karen sells, floofy brushes are useful for some things, too).

In the 'bad example' department, as in 'I'm running out of room for my make-up!', I have full-sizes of Tart Light and Babydoll already, and samples of all the other new ones. Of course, were it not for samples, I probably never would have ended up with full sizes of Rich (a clever marketing ploy of Karen's - I didn't even ask for it, the sample just turned up in an order, and I found it did indeed have more pink than it looked like on my computer, it wasn't pure peach), Bronze Beauty, Cupid, or Flirt to go with Climax (how many blushes is a girl supposed to need, after all? <wink>). Then there's the glows. And all the FPs. And nearly all the eyeshadows. And 20-some of the lippies. Don't you love how with minerals you don't have to agonise over finding the one, perfect, all-occasion blush because you really can't spend more than $30 and even that seems like an awful lot to pay for it?

Only one face, so many colours. But sample something that strikes your fancy every now and again, even if you think you might not be able to pull it off - after all, we're only talking a dollar here (for makeup? yup, it's true, I still can't get over that). I'm surprised that I can wear slightly tan/peach blushes in summer instead of my strictly cool/plum palettes, but I can. And samples are great for the little makeup bag in your handbag or for travel. And if you really can't wear them, they're nice gifties for your friends who can, and you won't have to be an addict alone anymore :mrgreen:

They're also handy when you do makeovers on people who never wear makeup because 'it's too complicated and it looks fake'. Well, good minerals (like Silk Naturals) aren't complicated and don't look fake, and oh, I love the look on their faces when I've given them just a subtle touch of colour and glow and they see themselves in the mirror :D
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 am

THIS FORUM IS PURE EVIL.

I ran a search for "Cupid" thinking, oh, maybe I'll try a little sample of that next time, and what do I find? Rhys whispering in my ear, "just buy them all... sure, go ahead. They're only a dollar. Really, they'll all look good on you." Dang it, people, I just added like... seventeen more samples to my wish list!

This is really getting to be a compulsion. Like gambling or something. It's horrible.

THANKS GUYS. Just keep it up.

Okay, but since we're on the topic of blush...

Can anybody help me with finding a really subtle blush OR glow for pale skin? I have the craziest undertones imaginable. I even had the ladies at Prescriptives stumped when they were mixing my custom foundation last year. Sooo I am hard-pressed to say "yellow" or "peach" or "apricot" but I DO know with certainty that I am NOT "pink". All true cool pinks look like doggy doo-doo on my skin. I really like the Disco eye shadow for summer but in the winter it will be too warm for me.

Help with like, five pale warmish-but-not-too-warm shades of blush?

I tried Heavenly glow and it looks okay but I think it is maybe too dark, perhaps, and not enough peach or yellow?...but again I am not entirely sure.

I added to my list (but would like advice):
Poppy
Cupid
Maybe Baby
Sassy
Rich
Bronze Beauty
Jamie
Climax
Vixen
Lovelace

Just wondering where to start with the samples. Again, I am very, very pale. Appreciate it!
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:54 am

i haven't gotten around to trying a few of the newer blushes (i have them, i just haven't used them yet. lol)

Sassy-possibly my favorite blush. it's the perfect peachy pink blush.
Rich- same as sassy but with shimmer
Bronze Beauty- I liked it ok but i like others more. lol
Jamie- very pretty and wearable
Climax-This isn't a wow blush to me but what makes it special is that it's wearable on every skintone.
Vixen-Very pretty but you need to use a FO
Lovelace- An amped up version of sassy. I don't know whether to say it's pinker or oranger so we'll just say it's more intensified color. Very pretty- use with a FO.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 am

Thank you!!! I will start with Rich, Sassy, Bronze Beauty, Climax, and Jamie. I don't own a FO nor do I want something pigmented enough to require one.
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Zeebs!
I am very fair-(13white,1ebony,1warm gold) and I love Vixen. I don't even use a FO brush. I just start out with a couple of grains and work up as needed. It gives a really pretty reddish flush. (Looks FAB with Jaybird lippie!)

hth,
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:57 am

Zeebs-
Have you tried Angel glow? It is one that you can add to any look to glow it up. Cupid will be more of a blush on you.

I will add what I know of the ones not covered by Sam.
Poppy-I love this color! I just bought a full size. It is a reddish peach and will require a light hand (or a FO), but it is a great summer color.
Maybe Baby is a great one for everyday. It has a neutral undertone (brownish peach) but less brown than Jamie, and is great for fair skin.
Cupid is a bit more colored than Climax blush, but runs along the same colors.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 pm

Petal might work (hey, I'm supposed to whisper enabling things in people's ears - eh - that sounds kinky, doesn't it? ;) )

It's not really a pinky-pink, it's a warm glowy thing, but even I can pull it off. And don't forget Beach Bunny!

Heavenly I think would be good for you if you mixed it with a bit of Angel (see, those samples are handy sometimes!), or maybe a little Perfecting Powder mixed in will tone it down enough.

I still don't have Maybe Baby or Poppy samples yet - there's a package for me at the post office, but with the holiday week-end here, I won't be able to grab it til Wednesday or Thursday. But they look like they'd be good on warm skin, and Jen's awfully good with colour recommendations.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 am

Okay, ladies, I can be of more help now that I got my FOUNDATION KIT in the mail today!!!

I am satisfied with the following recipe for summer (I have a pretty good tan - for me - which is still pale to most people - right now):

7 scoops white
1 scoop ebony
1/4 scoop buttery gold

I do not know what that means to you but I will tell you, Whisper, Sapphire and Taupetastic eyeshadows were just kinda okay, Disco rocks my world for summer tan, Capricious and Rare Berry lippies are good, and Foreplay was bleccchh so I need to return it... oh, and the Envy eyeliner was really not so hot on me.

I normally have a devil of a time finding a blush - and have never found the perfect one. I usually have better luck with bronzers. Now that I've mixed my own foundation, I realize that is probably due to the yellowness, eh? I really appreciate all your help. Hope the extra color info helps for further recommendations!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 am

Zeebs-
I am glad you found your mix. Don't be surprised if it turns out you need to lighten it up a bit with some more white. If you find it looks a bit muddy or orangeish, it just means it is a little too dark.

I pulled out my Disco. It really is pinker than you might think. I am basing my recommendations from here on out based on it, because I know you really like it. For blush since you are on the fair side, and don't normally wear it, I'd go with Flirt, Petal, and Maybe Baby- Flirt being my first choice. Also, Climax might work for you. I am thinking you might like Nekkid and Highbeam eyeshadow. They are a few shades lighter than Disco, but just as much fun. Highbeam is peachier than Nekkid, so Nekkid would be my first choice. I am wondering if you thought Whisper was too coolish for you personally, or did not have enough color.

I have also gone back to the lippies. I am thinking you will not be happy with Pout, and am a little surprised Foreplay does not work for you. I think you really will like Gold Blush (it is a little pinker and very sheer in comparison to Foreplay). Toffee might be good, too. Not as playful, but a great lippie for your dramatic eye days. Berry Crush is like a more subdued Capricious, but has lots of pigment. Sarrah is a sheerer version of Rare Berry; this might be another great choice. I do think there will be a few possibilities in the new ones, too.

I hope I have helped a little!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:58 am

Jen, is Nekkid really similar to Disco?? It looks terrifying in the photos. Pastel pink scares the bejeezus out of me.

I think you might be right about lightening the foundation - I already lightened it to 7 scoops white from 5, which seemed to help. Today I will be wearing it all day instead of just tinkering so I will keep that advice in mind as I judge it.

As for Whisper, it looks really grey and chalky on me, kind of white and flat. I suspect it is too cool.

Taupetastic I have trouble with for a different reason - I think it is warm in the wrong way. Too peach or orange, maybe? I don't know a lot about judging colors. Taupetastic ends up looking grey and dead on me. I can wear it, but it's not my favorite neutral. It doesn't really come to life for me.

Sapphire is as good as blue ever gets - I am generally incapable of wearing blue unless it has a fair amount of green in it, both for eyeshadow and for clothing. Greens are my best color. I am completely and utterly unable to wear pastels for clothing except for a rich, spring green or a medium warm yellow. Cool anything makes me look like a zombie. My best clothing colors are burgundy, warm greens or kelly greens, rich browns, and royal purple. I can also wear pumpkin and mustard, but they are not my best colors. The right blue can be very good but it must be the right blue - generally like a cerulean color, a very slight greenish hue to the blue in a medium shade.

Egad. Thanks for all your help everyone - this is very tricky to do over the web! Especially since I already have trouble finding makeup when I can try it on :)