Zero waste packaging?

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
EtherealJane

Zero waste packaging?

Post by EtherealJane » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi! I know I have a somewhat odd request, but is it possible to implement some sort of zero waste packaging? I have recently pared down many of my belongings, including makeup (I now ONLY have my faves, which are all SN). I've also started moving towards a more zero waste lifestyle. Essentially, I'm avoiding plastics as much as possible, because even though plastic is recycleable in theory, there's not much the recycled stuff can be used for, and a LOT of it does to the landfill.

Is it possible to purchase some items in glass containers (or perhaps have it as an option)? I realize with shipping and transit it may not be a practical solution. If that's the case, is it possible to mail in our old containers and have them be reused? I'm not sure what would need to happen, health and sanitation wise, to be feasible, but that would make me feel better! Even if I could use my own empties again somehow, my eco-conscience would be clear.
c_ell0

Re: Zero waste packaging?

Post by c_ell0 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I second this! I feel so bad wasting packaging.
karen
Site Admin

Re: Zero waste packaging?

Post by karen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

There really isn't a great way to do zero waste with mail order. The jars are made of PET- so they're pretty tough, and reusable around the house. I've used them to hold tiny things- earrings for travel, the occasional pill, herbs, or I add a few grains of rice, and make them into a cat toy. They're handy to have around especially if you're going zero waste.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten