Having reaction and not sure to which product

tellerspoint

Having reaction and not sure to which product

Post by tellerspoint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm

I've been using SN Apricot Cleansing oil and Oatmeal Serum for quite some time with no problems. I went for a while without toner and recently reordered the 2% BHA (historically no issues even with the new formulation), and for the first time also ordered the Firming Moisturizer.

Feeling all SN'y I used everything together the other night and again the following day. On that second day the cotton ball with toner felt a little "rough" but I kept on. On the third day I got a reaction. My face became very red and stingy with small bumps. It looks like a sunburn especially at my temples to the sides of my eyes, all around my eyes (itchy!) and feels rough all over my face. I stopped everything. I have soothed my face with cool washcloths and put an olive oil/beeswax balm lightly over all to help calm things down. Today I decided to try just the serum to see if that could reduce redness. Hard to say if it helped. In general, things are slowly getting better.

Now, was it the Renovage moisturizer? Should I be using it less than once daily, or stop? Hope not and I am doing a patch test on my inner arm. So far, nothing. Was it the combination of the toner and moisturizer? I've read the Renovage is powerful and I typically don't react unfavorably to topicals. I have no allergies to aloe. My reaction is surprising, not to mention uncomfortable. I trust I will heal. In the meantime, thoughts or advice are most welcome. Thanks.
JenW

Re: Having reaction and not sure to which product

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

My first guess would be BHA three times so close together. It is more of an every other day, or once a day kind of thing once you are used to it.

It could also be the Renovage, but I really think it is the BHA.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tellerspoint

Re: Having reaction and not sure to which product

Post by tellerspoint » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks, Jen. I went to the dermatologist because I had a concern this was setting the stage for future sensitivities where there used to be none. He looked at everything and agreed that it's most likely the toner.

I'd like to share the rest of what he said in case it can help others. Keep in mind that everyone's different, folks and that this is general information. Future patch tests are best done behind the ear vs the inner arm (where I was always taught to do it) because it's thin like facial skin vs. the thicker skin of the arm. Give it a couple of days to react. He brought up something I had only thought of with bodily injuries but not in terms of my face: as we get older we don't bounce back as quickly or easily and that includes healing from skin reactions. Lastly, he said that a soothing, healing OTC product is a 1% hydrocortisone ointment (not cream) used after a cool compress.

My skin feels and looks almost normal again. I wore makeup today and I looked ok albeit with a bit more crepe-y look to my eyes and slight dryness overall. I've used the toner only once and will use it much more infrequently than I am used to. The new moisturizer seems to be ok. I'm glad about that!