Totally lost it, am I warm, neutral or cool? :-o

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Lillpinglan

Totally lost it, am I warm, neutral or cool? :-o

Post by Lillpinglan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 am

Hello,

I have been away for awhile but just got reminded of Silk Naturals again. Can't believe I forgot about you! I have bought tons of lippies throught the years and need to get new ones since the old ones now have an unpleasant smell/taste. Anyway, I am totally confused about if I am warm, neutral or cool toned. What to do? I remember that I e-mailed a photo years ago, to get some help. Can't find the message though. Used to hear that, since i have red/strawberry blonde hair, and do not easily get a tan, i must be WARM. A few other times, more recently, I hear that i might be cool or neutral.

Advice? I remember that I really liked "CULTURED", "Eden, "Breathless", "Summer Fling", "Maiden" and "SOFT", Briarwood, and SAINT TROPEZ among the lippies.

"Operative" looked terrible on me, also "Bloom", "Ginny, "Rhapsody", "Temptation", "Unforgettable". "Strut" is too matte.

Silver jewellery look better on me than gold.

Advice on what color-family to choose from when it comes to lippies? Need something "my lip color but better". Nude-ish, nude-pink-ish and reddish? Thanks in advance! :)
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (82.97 KiB) Viewed 14459 times
JenW

Re: Totally lost it, am I warm, neutral or cool? :-o

Post by JenW » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:15 pm

At first glance, the pic shows me you lean warm. However, lighting is everything, and often shows colors incorrectly.

The other information you gave leads me to think you must be pretty neutral/slightly cool. The strawberry blonde hair would actually lead me to cool toned (think Nicole Kidman). The not easily tanned could go either way, but seems to fall cool toned most of the time. The colors of lippies you like are definitely in neutral ground, although some colors can go either way. A preference for silver jewelry usually indicates cool tones.

I don't think I would have suggested you are warm toned unless you only sent a pic, and I have been the color person for ages.

What formula are you looking at? Some of the colors you liked are still around.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Lillpinglan

Post by Lillpinglan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks a million for such a quick answer! :D

These are the ones that I am curious about;

Petticoat- nude pink cream- Garter - SS

Shenanigans- Nude Pink- ALG

Canoodle-Nude YLBB- Velvet Matte Lipstick*

Fashionista- nude wine shimmer VLS

St. Tropez nude pink SS*

Ambitious- Medium Pink Nude HG*

Curious- Nude Plum Shimmer HG*

High Roller- just right red- VLS

Mischievous- MetallicRed- Velvet Matte Lipstick*

Could you tell if any of these would suit me?

I have golden and rose golden jewellery too, but never use them since they seem to blend into my skintone. On clothing I often wear navy. Bright white is better than off white.
4wheel

Post by 4wheel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:27 am

Based on your gold and rose gold blending into you skin and the outdoor picture you look very warm to me. Neutral colors are good for both warm or cool. HTH
BE the Light - Shimmer and Shine!
shiny

Post by shiny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 pm

In natural sunlight, are the veins of your wrist blue (cool) or green (warm) of sort of both (neutral).

If you're cool, then warm-colored clothing like yellow-green, orange-red, burnt orange, goldenrod, khaki won't flatter your skin. If you're warm, then cool pink, lavender, blue-greens and bluish-reds won't flatter you.

Most people aren't purely cool or warm, but "neutral-leaning-cool" or "neutral-leaning warm."

Within the color family that works best for your coloring, do you look best in dark, medium or light colors? Whatever it is, look for corresponding dark, medium or light lippies.

Karen gives a lot of detail in her lippie descriptions. You might find this article helpful, too. Replace DOT with a .

blogDOTsavvyistDOTcom/2015/01/13/how-to-choose-flattering-lipstick-colors/
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:27 am

Lillpinglan wrote: Petticoat- nude pink cream- Garter - SS

Shenanigans- Nude Pink- ALG

Canoodle-Nude YLBB- Velvet Matte Lipstick*

Fashionista- nude wine shimmer VLS

St. Tropez nude pink SS*

Ambitious- Medium Pink Nude HG*

Curious- Nude Plum Shimmer HG*

High Roller- just right red- VLS

Mischievous- MetallicRed- Velvet Matte Lipstick*
I have seen them all except Mischievous. Definitely St. Tropez. Curious kind of reminds me of Eden, but more plum and less pink. Ambitious looks like a good fit. Petticoat might be a little on the pink side.

If you said Strut, a VLS, was too matte, I hesitate to recommend High Roller, Fashionista, and Canoodle as the formulas of the VLS and Velvet Matte are not as glossy as the others you mentioned. This would also include Mischievous.

Red is more challenging. Not too pink and not too warm. I kind of think Strawberry Fields, but it will be more of a sheer red. If you do want a red with some coverage, I would give High Roller a try.
Faves-
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 am

Another good one might be Ripple. It is the same color as Canoodle in a little bit glossier formula.
Faves-