Tips from anyone before I start mixing my foundation?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Grayburn

Tips from anyone before I start mixing my foundation?

Post by Grayburn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm

I have just received my foundation kit and actually am a little afraid to start mixing because I might screw up! How do I choose between the 3 shades (warm gold, buttery gold, ebony)? How do I know which one to start with first?

For your reference, I'm a Naughty Korat in Meow, golden light in EDM.

Thanks for your help!
Grayburn
grayburn.blogspot.com
JenW

Re: Tips from anyone before I start mixing my foundation?

Post by JenW » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Since you are a Korat in Meow, I am guessing you will be a Warm Gold unless you do have some yellow in your undertones (then you would be a Buttery). Since you are a 'Naughty', that seems to be running about 1 scoop Warm to around 6-8 White. I'd start with the 6. It is a little easier to lighten (in your case) when you have a fairly close starting point. You will know right away if it is too dark. You will also need a good light source, and probably want to check indoor as well as outdoor light if you have the option.

Level off the scoops on the side of the baggie and put the contents in the jar. Before you put the sifter on, put the lid on and shake it up well. I have found you get a better mix without the sifter and can more easily change the color if it needs it. Once you think you have a pretty good match, then add the sifter in.

For testing on skin, I generally put lines near my jawline with an eyeshadow brush that has been well tapped. Add a scoop of white if you think it is too dark and remix. Once you think you are close, you can 'live in it' for a day or so to decide if it needs to be lighter or darker. I also love that if I decide it is too dark or light on any given day, I can change it!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com