The Diet/Self-Improvement Thread

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
egerandi

Re: The Diet/Self-Improvement Thread

Post by egerandi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Oh, haha, yeah, it's difficult when bf eats late late, and offers the goodies. I stick to my evening tea, thank you very much :) And I'm sure you all saw the Slimquick commercials, when the guy switches to diet soda and loses a lot of weight... so much more difficult for us, the 'cushion' is built-in by nature, hehe.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 am

Spent the last two days moving furniture up and down stairs. Think I burned about a million calories. Also injured myself a few times so I guess on the health front I came out behind.
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Weigh in day, and I'm down 2 lbs, since the last 2 weeks. 1 pound a week isn't going to set a record, but at least it is a healthy loss. :)
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:30 pm

That's great! A pound isn't that easy to lose- it's 3500 calories, and it sure beats gaining a pound. Week 2 is getting a bit more difficult- I think we miss red meat, so I'm trying to figure out a way to add that back to our diet without going overboard.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Yes Hollis! Losing is always a great thing no matter how much! Way to go!

Red meat is something I have tried to eliminate before. I am so bad at it. Especially when I start exercising. I just crave red meat. I have cut back, though.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Try using 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 veggie crumbles (like Morningstar) when making things like spaghetti, lasagna, tacos, etc, if you want to reduce the amount of red meat you eat. It's hard to tell the difference!
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I crave red meat also, but try to limit to 1-2 times a week. I try to do a lot of salad's and soups at lunch, and then eat whatever hubby cooks for supper. Usually it is chicken, pork chops, ham and beans, or mexican food. Since I have no control over the menu most days, I really just work at limiting portion sizes and also at trying to eliminate sweets,and snacks. So far so good.
Hollis
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 am

Good call on stretching the red meat- I did a meatloaf tonight with some bulgar, lots of onion, and mushrooms. It was yummy, and not really a gut buster like the regular stuff I make.

Thank you so much for talking us into a Wii- we bowled and played tennis tonight. This diet is really getting to be fun- between the ice skating and the Wii- I can't remember when we spent so much quality time together, and we're really enjoying it.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

I love my Wii, I know I helped talk you into it. I really does improve quality time together, and makes exercise in some form fun. Don't ask me to play tennis or baseball with you however, I have absolutely NO hand eye cordination, so when I am trying to hit a computorized baseball or tennis ball it becomes a real challenge,, Then again, maybe I should volunteer as everybody would burn calories laughing.

My husband says he won't box with me, I keep knocking him out, I tell him it is because I have an unfair advantage in that I work with people who are swinging at me constantly. ( remember I manage an Alzhiemers unit).
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I love this thread! It is keeping me out of the kitchen even as we speak.