Ordered ebony...maybe need a corrector?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Kareng311

Ordered ebony...maybe need a corrector?

Post by Kareng311 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:38 am

Hi Jen! you seem to be the expert here. So i've been using mineral secrets foundation in "oatmeal" (photo attached) and this seems to be perfect for me. But i want to switch companies. It is quite neutral and quite light. I am not pink at all, though. Tend to have some gold undertones (but not really yellow yellow) so i orded the ebony kit because it said it was neutral and light. When i ordered, i didnt see a swatch but now found one And it seems like it will be quite pink. I ordered it but havent received it yet...what do you think? I also recently went to mac and they matched me with NW13 which is a tad light and pink but ok match for my winter skin. Thank you for any help!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (193.27 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (193.27 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
JenW

Re: Ordered ebony...maybe need a corrector?

Post by JenW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:44 am

I know it makes sense that you can match foundations by looking at a pic of the actual product, but you really can't. The opacity of the base powder really makes a difference. I am not familiar with the line you mention.

However, a sample kit probably would have been a better place to start. Ebony is on the slightly cool side of neutral. From your description and the information I can glean from their website, you will probably fall Olive or Buttery Gold. You might be able to get by with a Yellow booster, but I think you need more golden tones and that will be in Buttery Gold.

That light of a shade might work if you are looking at our Original formula with Ebony. Try it 1:9 color to white.

Also, don't try to match the actual product. You will have to try it out. Try them side by side on skin of you want, but just looking at the jar won't be a good comparison across two product lines.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Kareng311

Post by Kareng311 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you. I know it can be so hard to tell from photos and powder. Ugh. So are you saying it would be better to try a fresh mix with no ebony at all? And just do buttery gold? Or would it be smart to maybe test a small batch mixing the two? I'd hate to waste all that ebony, but i am definitely not pink or orange and dont want any of that in my mix. I'd prefer to err on the side of yellow. But i think i'll order a sample kit in the meantime and see what i can do before i mix a big batch. I have time as my current foundation will last several more months. I feel so stupid for ordering ebony, though. I should've done more research! :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:30 pm

I think I answered in your email! The photo really helped.

You are in the very fair side......in that case yellow will probably have to be added back in. It is the first color to dilute itself out.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com