Need help with basic makeup

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
kpaul293

Need help with basic makeup

Post by kpaul293 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello,
I have never been into wearing makeup due to harsh chemicals in products you would normally find in store. But recently I found Silk Naturals and now I want to be able to get into the whole makeup thing. I have black hair, black eyes, medium brown skin (on a scale of light brown to dark brown, I am somewhere in between. My face is a little lighter than the rest of my body). I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the foundations of what I need.

Please note that I dont even own makeup brushes. My knowledge of makeup is 0. So I would need help with the basics in terms of selecting the right foundation, blush, lipstick, etc etc. I just want to know what shades will look good on me and how to apply makeup (the order) and everything I need to purchase for that. Please help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS: Please dont tease me for not knowing how to apply makeup :D Thanks!

Karen
JenW

Re: Need help with basic makeup

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

How about if you start small?

Maybe try something for your lips and something to define your eyes? Maybe a fluffy brush and just a finishing powder? Is there any way you can email me a picture? (My email addy is in my signature....)

I am sure others would love to help, too! If you don't mind!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
shiny

Re: Need help with basic makeup

Post by shiny » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi, kpaul! No one here will ever make fun of you for wanting to learn how to wear makeup. Here are some things I've learned that've helped me find my best colors. I hope it's not too long:

Know whether you are cool, warm or neutral. If you look best wearing gold, and colors that lean more towards yellow than blue then you are warm. If you look best wearing silver, and colors that lean more towards blue than yellow, then you are cool.

The font color grid to the right of the "Post a reply" box is a perfect example. The colors on the left are warmer, the colors on the right are cooler.

Most people are neutral but will lean a little more cool or warm. So when it comes to choosing, say, a brown eyeshadow, if you are warm then pick a warm brown. If you are cool, pick a cool brown. If in between, pick a neutral brown.

Same goes with lip colors. There are cool pinks and reds, warm peaches and reds, and those that are in the middle.

Then consider how much color and contrast you can wear. Some people can wear a lot of rich or bright colors with high contrast. Bold red and black is high contrast. These people can wear bold black eyeliner, intense eye shadow, red lipstick and look great!

Other people do better with more subtle colors and lower contrast. Soft pink or peach, softened colors like dusty blue rather than bright blue, and gray rather than black is low contrast. These people look better in medium, more natural colors with lower contrast.

Maybe look up some makeup tutorials online. When you see a face whose coloring and features resemble yours and you like the look, learn how they did it. For example, I found a tutorial on how to do eyeshadow for deep-set eyes with hooded lids and it made shopping so much easier!

The great thing about Silk Naturals is that everything is so affordable you can afford to experiment. Karen's product notes about warm/cool, light/dark, etc are very helpful.

I hope this helps. Have fun!