Advice for newly diagnosed breast cancer?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
zooeyblue

Advice for newly diagnosed breast cancer?

Post by zooeyblue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi All. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. The good news is that it is very small and very curable. Because of my age and family history, I was a candidate for genetic testing. I'm waiting on those results before moving forward with a surgery decision. Today, I met with a plastic surgeon to learn about options if I choose to have bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I did not like him, period. I have friends finding referrals for me now.

My question: What advice do any of you have regarding reconstructive surgery and finding a good surgeon? My other option could be to have a lumpectomy followed by radiation. If anyone can give me feedback on that as well, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. ;)
~Tracy~
JenW

Re: Advice for newly diagnosed breast cancer?

Post by JenW » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I don't have any advice. But I want you to know that I am sending you big hugs. I am so relieved at your prognosis! Please, take care. And yes, find a doctor that you are comfortable with!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the hugs, Jen. I've scheduled consultations with two more plastic surgeons. I may not even need to go that route, but I'd like to know my options. As for the one I met with last week--I don't want him NEAR me with scalpel. At least now, I have a better idea of what questions I want/need to ask.
~Tracy~
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm

A little late on the thread but I am sending positive thoughts your way.
zooeyblue

Re: Advice for newly diagnosed breast cancer? --Update!

Post by zooeyblue » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm

A year ago, I was in a completely different place. I had surgery last September to treat breast cancer. I chose to go with a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction, mainly due to heavy family history and being relatively young. Unfortunately, I developed an infection that turned out to be MRSA. After weeks on multiple antibiotics, we thought the infection was gone, but it returned. I had to have emergency surgery last October to remove the tissue expanders and the infection. I did not have to have chemo or radiation due to the mastectomy choice, but I have to take Tamoxifen for 5 years total (approximately 4 1/2 years left!). It's been a long road to recovery, and there are still a few rough days, but I'm cancer-free at this point. Eventually, I will revisit reconstructive surgery. Honestly, I don't know that I really want to go through expanders, implants, and probably multiple revision surgeries, and I'm taking some time to decide what is best for me. Currently, I don't have a flat chest, due to the last surgery. My thoughts now are to have surgery to make everything nice and flat, and get a cool tattoo. Done. I spent the last 15 years with large breasts that I was uncomfortable with, so being able to actually wear cute clothes again is a plus now!

To all you ladies: A mammogram saved my life. I didn't have a lump. The cancer was so small that it only showed up on the mammogram. So, if you are due for a mammogram and putting it off, DON'T. Also, find out your family history. My mom had breast cancer, too, and our pathology reports were very similar. My surgeon confirmed that when we reviewed them together. If you have a close relative, see if you can get a copy of those reports, if needed. After some research, my mom discovered five great-aunts of hers who were all sisters, and all had breast cancer. There are other relatives scattered along the way, too. Take care of yourselves! ;)

If you have questions and want to ask me, I'll be happy to talk. You can PM me, if you like.
~Tracy~
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Yay for being cancer free!!!!! If you decide to get a tattoo I'll come hold your hand! You've also convinced me to make getting a mammogram a priority. I cancelled it over the summer because stuff, and things, but I'll reschedule one this week.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten