What to wear with Dark Arts? + Some questions

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
wonny

What to wear with Dark Arts? + Some questions

Post by wonny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 am

Hi! I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on which color(s) to wear with Dark Arts? I have been eyeing it for a while now and my birthday is coming up,so... :P I wanted to wear it with Mahalo/Envoy/Teacher's Pet but they all seem to have been discontinued.. Even Hero, which is in the color family I don't think I'm brave enough to wear yet.

I'm new to eyeshadow so I'm slowly trying to build up my collection, but I have NO CLUE how to tell what goes with what? If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Should Dark Arts be worn with colors like Posh, Cream, Goddess, Vanilla, and the like? I don't have any of those yet, but amIdoingitright. Or are Vanilla and such only "highlight" colors (which goes only in inner corner and browbone from what I understand..?)? Do I wear just these two colors..?

How the heck do you wear colors like Fearie/Fairy Dust/Doubloons.. that are "multifaceted"? Alone? I just got Stick 'Em as a gift and I tried it with Gelt and it made it POP, so shiny and bronzey and beautiful! I can't wait to try it with other shadows, especially these "multifaceted" or "duochrome" ones.
bellatete

Re: What to wear with Dark Arts? + Some questions

Post by bellatete » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:03 am

i like to wear colours like dark arts as one colour washes, sort of like a one colour smokey eye.
i might use something like bone on the browbone (but rarely) or a soft brown to blend out the crease a bit.

there really are no fixed rules as to what goes with what ;) you can definitely try any of the other highlight colours in place of mahalo/envoy etc. but you might wanna consider a matte one to combine with dark arts, which is a shimmer, to make it more wearable. i would say that any of the naked basic clone sets would work nicely around dark arts.

i basically do the same with faerie and fairy dust (and other lighter "complicated" colours): i put them all over the mobile lid, preferably over primer, and blend out the edges either with something like bone or with a clean brush. the only difference: with light colours i have to wear a dark liner, otherwise my eyes "disappear" :? fairy dust is such a pretty colour, though!! it's one of my oldest shadows and i still adore it :mrgreen:
wonny

Re: What to wear with Dark Arts? + Some questions

Post by wonny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 pm

bellatete wrote:i like to wear colours like dark arts as one colour washes, sort of like a one colour smokey eye.
i might use something like bone on the browbone (but rarely) or a soft brown to blend out the crease a bit.

there really are no fixed rules as to what goes with what ;) you can definitely try any of the other highlight colours in place of mahalo/envoy etc. but you might wanna consider a matte one to combine with dark arts, which is a shimmer, to make it more wearable. i would say that any of the naked basic clone sets would work nicely around dark arts.

i basically do the same with faerie and fairy dust (and other lighter "complicated" colours): i put them all over the mobile lid, preferably over primer, and blend out the edges either with something like bone or with a clean brush. the only difference: with light colours i have to wear a dark liner, otherwise my eyes "disappear" :? fairy dust is such a pretty colour, though!! it's one of my oldest shadows and i still adore it :mrgreen:
:o One color wash! Wow, I never thought of that.. I'm so used to not having colors, especially dark ones, around my eyes, I may have to work up the guts to try that. Ahh, I see! *takes note*

Oh! For some reason I thought only lid/highlight colors could be shimmery or matte and the accompanying crease colors needed to be matte, and never the other way around.. Thank you, you're giving me lots of ways to try experimenting. :lol:

This Bone sounds really useful. I think I will pick it up as well.. Also, thank you for letting me know how to work with these beautiful colors. You're making me want to get Fairy Dust too!! Ahh! And part of the scare/appeal is that I won't be sure what these cool colors will look like since photographs aren't supposed to be doing them justice!

Thank you so much for replying! I tried watching some eyeshadow videos on YouTube and it's like.. Wha??? That color DOES NOT look like it would go with THAT one! But once the guru puts it on, they're absolutely beautiful together. Sorcery!! What is this!? Lmao.