Tan skintone recs

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Lulu23

Tan skintone recs

Post by Lulu23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

So I've ordered several times from SN but this is my first time on the forums. I needed some help from you experienced SNers on recommendations for me: I'm quite tan (about NC 40ish in Mac) and swatches that look darker on the website show up light on my skin. So buying eyeshadow online becomes a bit difficult. What would you recommend for:

- a medium-dark taupe eyeshadow for a smokey eye look? I'm looking for a sheen but no visible sparkles or glitter please!

- medium-dark khaki/ green-gold eyeshadow with shimmer but no visible particles

- eyeshadow similar to MAC Expensive Pink. I tried Impact and it was too glittery

- a duo chrome eyeshadow

- any blush that would look nice on me, without carmine and f&dc colors. I generally prefer blushes that don't look dark on me as it looks like my face has sunken in!

- lip color similar to Bobbi Browns Guava (if you google it, I'm looking for something like how it does on Temptalia!

- bronze lip color

- magenta or dark pink lip color that won't show up as purple on me

- any other recommendations from you girls out there that have similar skin tones!

For reference I am of Indian origin and in my early twenties.

And for anyone else out there who loves SN and needs help finding good colors for coloring like mine (tan skin, brown eyes, pigmentation around mouth) these are colors from SN I love:

-Aria lip color. I always have this in my purse. Really soft natural color! Texture is perfect for my dry lips
-Lois lip color. If you want to go a bit lighter without looking washed out, this lipstick is very opaque and looks great!
-Velma lip color
-Fashionista lip color
-Orbit eyeshadow: good all over wash and even as an inner corner highlight
-Envy eyeliner: sounds weird I know, but somehow I feel like this particular color makes my eyes look bigger
-Sleep in a jar medium: covers around the mouth pigmentation really well.
kinjali22

Re: Tan skintone recs

Post by kinjali22 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi LuLu,

I'm also Indian and know how hard finding colors can be! I float between Urban Decay Bulletproof in the summer and Urban Decay Bodyguard in the winter. My olive undertones really come out during the summer.

I haven't experiment to much with the eyeshadows but have you tried the eyesight finishes? Glitter eyeshadow doesn't look right on my but I really love SNs eye lights especially Fusion. It has a goldish overlay that comes out depending on the light but it's sublte. I wouldn't classify it as a dark taupe...it's more medium? But that's all relative to skin tone :)

For lips,
Say No More is a really pretty burgendy pink. It can chage color a tiny bit depending if I put a nude lip liner underneath. I learned I need to do that as my lips are both no the same color.

Strut is another really pretty color that goes nicely with olive skin tone. I think it's a nice "nude". i say "nude" because it's not a wipe out color from your lips nude. It has some depth but I need that for my skin tone. Thanks to Jen for helping me with the color descriptions!!

Cream puff is favorite when my skin tone is super light, otherwise it doesn't really show up. It's a sheer pinky nude.

Electra is a recent lippie I got that works too! I can't really explain it other than it has micro sparkly particles that are not chunky that are super pretty.

Allure is a medium peachy color but depending on your skin tone it may be a tad light?

Oh and for a face highlight, Close up is awesome!!!!! Super fine particles that offer a suble natural glow.

I think that's it for now, there's probably a ton I'm forgetting, but I'll update this thread when I remember!