Can I mix my Vitamin C serum with my Moisturizer?

SillyRabbit

Can I mix my Vitamin C serum with my Moisturizer?

Post by SillyRabbit » Mon May 26, 2014 4:57 am

I use both the Super Serum and the Mama's Helper Serum (on alternating days).

I was wondering if these serums can be mixed with my daily moisturizer without reducing their efficacy and effectiveness.

I'm usually in a rush in the morning and being able to mix the serum(s) with my moisturizer saves me time, and it also allows me to evenly spread out the serum all over my face.

I know that PH levels come into play here but i'm not sure on the details, so i'd appreciate if anyone with more knowledge could let me know.

The moisturizer I use is La Roche Posay Toleraine Fluid if it matters.
JenW

Re: Can I mix my Vitamin C serum with my Moisturizer?

Post by JenW » Mon May 26, 2014 6:08 pm

I usually don't recommend mixing things that have differing bases. Our products are more of a gel base, and I am guessing that your moisturizer is more of an emulsion. The mix of the two will likely mess up the balance of the emulsion and the water parts will separate from the oil parts. You could try it, but I recommend only using about a days worth and letting it sit to see what happens.

A better option that might work is to mix them up daily in your palm and then apply. (Pump a little of each into your hand and then mix in your hands and apply.)

In my opinion: If you layer three things, it is likely that you'd save less than 2 or 3 minutes and it is not worth compromising your product by mixing them ahead of time.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
SillyRabbit

Post by SillyRabbit » Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 pm

JenW wrote:A better option that might work is to mix them up daily in your palm and then apply. (Pump a little of each into your hand and then mix in your hands and apply.)
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post, but this is what I was asking about; mixing a few drops of serum with my moisturizer in my hands and then spreading it evenly across my face.
JenW wrote:In my opinion: If you layer three things, it is likely that you'd save less than 2 or 3 minutes and it is not worth compromising your product by mixing them ahead of time.
So would mixing them in my hands still compromise the product?

I want to get the full benefits of the serum but I would really like to cut the time it takes to apply the serum, then wait a few minutes for it to set in before then applying my moisturizer, (and then there's sunscreen after that!)
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

If you are going to layer them one right after the other, there isn't really much difference to mixing in your palm and applying. If you were going to store them mixed in another container for a few days, it might.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com