Trying to find the perfect combination for me

Kitten

Trying to find the perfect combination for me

Post by Kitten » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:02 am

I usually have oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. While I absolutely adore Mama's Helper as a serum, I think it is a bit too drying on its own because I'm currently using prescription Retin-A at night to control my acne, along with a topical acne medication and oral antibiotic. All of that together can make my normally greaseball skin kind of flakey.

I love a good antioxidant serum, and I'm currently looking at my options. I'd really like to continue the Mama's Helper because it does not irritate my skin at all, but I think I might need a light moisturizer to use over it. I am just so lost as to which one to start with- there are so many wonderful ones! I do not do well with lots of jojoba oil- other than that, I can do just about any non-comedogenic serum. Any advice as to which one I should go for?

I am not in need of anything intense or powerful since I don't have any signs of aging to deal with yet. It's all just prevention for me right now.
JenW

Re: Trying to find the perfect combination for me

Post by JenW » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 am

I would try any of the simple moisturizers like Emu, Hemp, Raspberry since you are using. I'd probably try Hemp first. Argan & Goji might work, too.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the help. I ended up trying both hemp and the raspberry moisturizer, but my skin keeps flaking. I wonder if maybe I should use a different C serum because I am on so much stuff that could dry my skin out and maybe Mama's Helper isn't really right for me right now. Should I maybe consider a different serum?
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

The flaking..... If I remember what RetinA does, it pretty much can flake the skin as a side effect. You can play around with serums trying to find something that will reduce the flaking, but I am not sure one will be better over another as long as you are using the RetinA.

A simpler C serum might be worth a shot. I use the Vitamin C Peptide one, myself when my skin is being super reactive.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com