Project Pan

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
bellatete

Project Pan

Post by bellatete » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am

after watching numerous videos on youtube about "project pan" - don't even know how i stumbled upon this topic to begin with - i recently started my own project pan. i just have way too much makeup and skincare products, and i really miss that feeling of using up things. back when i started using makeup and i only had one blush, i actually used up the whole thing :o

so, 2 weeks ago i went through my stash and picked out products i want to use up. i will (try to) not buy makeup until i've used them all up. i am allowing myself other purchases though (like makeup brushes hehe, and skin care essentials if i run out of them).

my initial project 17 pan:

- a baked bronzer from a german organic drugstore brand (alverde) --> i bought this as a limited edition and it was number 02, then they made it part of the permanent collection and i thought "oh, now there's also a lighter shade (01)" so i bought it, came home and figured it was the same bronzer :? i don't even know if i should publicly admit that it happened a second time over :oops:
- an apricot pressed blush (alverde) --> yay, there's actually a pan to be hit!!
- a lip plumping lip gloss (alverde)
- a dark grey mascara (alverde)
- a diy pressed eyeshadow quad (all neutrals), before the jojoba oil i used for pressing turns
- a mix of golden and translucent cloud finishing powder samples (first SN product on my list!!) --> i use this to set concealer under my eyes and around my nose and mouth
- a honey hand cream (l'occitane) --> i'm really negligent when it comes to using hand cream so i'm forcing myself to use this one up (there's also more where that came from)
- a faux bb cream which is really just a not-so-great tinted moisturizer (lavera) --> i'm nearly done with it, so i'll use it up and hopefully forget about it soon
- my current mineral foundation mix (mostly SN) so i can finally give the jar a good wash
- babydoll blush sample (SN) --> a sample should be possible to finish, right?!
- petal blush sample (SN) --> i already have a full size, so this one has to go
- blonde brow cream sample (SN)
- a caramel kisser slicker (SN) --> i have way too many lippies for my own good, so i picked one that is easy to wear on a day-to-day basis to have a fair chance of using it up
- the nananana boo boo vegan lipstick gwp (SN) --> because greedy little me also ordered the black label version as soon as it came out :oops:
- peanut butter lip balm (SN) --> i'm a lip balm hoarder, and i had to start somewhere
- penthouse cream shadow (SN)
- trixie lip stain (SN) --> i will definitely re-purchase this eventually, but first i want to see if i can finish it :D

i felt like i could still commit to more using-up, so yesterday i nominated 13 more items:

- purity spot treatment (100% pure)
- super fruits concentrated serum (100% pure)
- a foot cream (alverde)
- a diy lip balm (used as a foot cream)
- a pressed powder foundation which i used to love before i went all natural (dianne brill) --> i just hope i don't fall back in love with it :S
- finishing dust sample (edm) --> to replace the cloud powder sample, once it's used up
- sunlight rice finishing powder (edm) --> to replace the finishing dust sample, once it's used up
- black mascara (essence)
- a honey beeswax lip balm (no real brand)
- tropical eyecare serum (nonique)
- black willow post-shave tonic (sn) --> used as a facial toner
- hair elixir (sn) --> used as a facial toner
- lip click bubble gum lip balm (sn)

there are so many more products that i really want to use up eventually, but for now i think 30 is a challenging enough number.
i know that i will get a major thrill out of striking things off my list when they are used up!!

is anyone else (planning on) doing something similar? i would be really interested!
cclee00

Re: Project Pan

Post by cclee00 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Wow. I read your list and thought "that's so many things!" And then I realized I could EASILY make a longer list for myself. I have many body washes, several natural soap samples, and a couple shampoos and conditioners, just in my shower. Then skincare, like two or three toners, and a couple of moisturizers, eye creams, lash serum, etc. Lots of hair products. Lots of body lotions. Lots of perfume. And we won't even go into the makeup. (I am a serious beauty junkie!) I try to finish the samples of SN things like blush, but they really do last so long! I'm always afraid that trying to focus on using things up takes all the fun out of using it, too. And some things, like the lotions, were bought specifically because I love the scent (I don't usually buy lotion otherwise) or color, and several items no longer exist, so I'm afraid of using them up and then not having any more! I know it sounds so ridiculous, but I kind of have a hard time letting go. How do you do it?
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:08 am

cclee00 wrote:I'm always afraid that trying to focus on using things up takes all the fun out of using it, too.
as i said, i really enjoy the feeling of using up products, and while it's relatively easy to finish skin care and hair care, and to a certain extent foundation and concealer, i haven't used up or even made a significant dent in any colour products like blush and eyeshadow for years. i also realized that, since i started my little project, i am looking forward to doing my makeup every morning with a purpose (i mean, other than make me feel pretty and presentable), and i almost feel sad when i have nowhere to go on the weekend.
cclee00 wrote:And some things, like the lotions, were bought specifically because I love the scent (I don't usually buy lotion otherwise) or color, and several items no longer exist, so I'm afraid of using them up and then not having any more! I know it sounds so ridiculous, but I kind of have a hard time letting go. How do you do it?
i can totally relate to that!! i am a horrible hoarder, especially when it comes to limited editions, or when the discontinuation of a favourite product is announced. the brand i mentioned - alverde - is notorious for discontinuing products for the sake of making shelf space available for new product releases. many times it was a holy grail of mine that got kicked out, and when they announced it on facebook i went and bought all that was left in the shops near me. that's why for my project i picked products that i either don't particularly love (but on the other side don't hate enough to just toss them) or that i should be able to re-purchase once my project is finished.

perfumes, however, are a tricky subject, as scents carry so many emotions, and nothing makes you remember a specific event or time better than smelling the perfume you used back then. i have a few that i absolutely love, but once they are finished i won't re-purchase because they are made by companies that still test on animals :(
i didn't include any perfumes in my project pan because a) i don't have that many, and b) they don't really go bad. and my signature scent - an all natural, organic perfume i discovered right before my wedding - gets used up and re-purchased frequently anyway, because i use it often and it always brings back lovely wedding memories :D
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Well, I did something like that some time ago (I didn't know it has such a fin name) and now I have one shower gel, sscrub, shampoo and conditioner per bathroom. And just one greasy day moisturizer, one night one, one serum, one eye product and one cleanser. And buy another whet I am about to finish one of the bottles. And I was almost honest to myself and made 3 boxes of makeup - every day, for special occasions and the waiting list for the new home. My specialoccasion box is quite huge and some of the beauties from there are just for owning them :-) but you all know how great it is :-)
What I like about it: I do not feel guilty on having so much stuff and being afraid not to use it in time. There is space in the baths. Actually there isn't I have kids, but still... And this approach helps me survive my personal financial crysis as now I can afford much less than I used to.
So good luck ladies!))) let us know how it goes!
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 am

since it's nearly the end of march, i thought i'd do a little update on my progress:
bellatete wrote:my initial project 17 pan:

- a baked bronzer from a german organic drugstore brand (alverde) --> hardly any progress noticable
- an apricot pressed blush (alverde) --> i hit pan on this seriously hard-pressed blush about 2 weeks ago, but the hole is barely getting bigger since then
- a lip plumping lip gloss (alverde) --> i think i've used about half of it
- a dark grey mascara (alverde) --> should be on its last legs, mostly because i've had it for a long time (starting to smell a bit funny)
- a diy pressed eyeshadow quad (all neutrals) --> the lightest shade is nearly finished, and i've hit pan on one of the medium shades
- a mix of golden and translucent cloud finishing powder samples (first SN product on my list!!) --> finished
- a honey hand cream (l'occitane) --> finished
- a faux bb cream which is really just a not-so-great tinted moisturizer (lavera) --> about 2 more uses in it (i had to cut the tube in half to get all of it out
- my current mineral foundation mix (mostly SN) so i can finally give the jar a good wash --> i used approx. half of that up, but there's still a good amout left
- babydoll blush sample (SN) --> no significant progress since i was mostly working on that pressed blush
- petal blush sample (SN) --> no significant progress since i was mostly working on that pressed blush
- blonde brow cream sample (SN) --> nearly finished, but these sample droplets last forever!!!
- a caramel kisser slicker (SN) --> ugh, i've started to dislike this lippie :( suddenly it pulls very pink on me. also, out of curiosity, i twisted it all the way out and shockingly there's still sooo much left of it
- the nananana boo boo vegan lipstick gwp (SN) --> no significant progress here
- peanut butter lip balm (SN) --> finished
- penthouse cream shadow (SN) --> not much progress yet, but i found out that this gives a lovely bronzey glow when mixed with my moisturizer, so i will be using it like that once i've finished the too dark bb cream
- trixie lip stain (SN) --> not much progress here either

i felt like i could still commit to more using-up, so yesterday i nominated 13 more items:

- purity spot treatment (100% pure) --> finished
- super fruits concentrated serum (100% pure) --> finished
- a foot cream (alverde) --> finished
- a diy lip balm (used as a foot cream) --> finished
- a pressed powder foundation which i used to love before i went all natural (dianne brill) --> as expected, i really started to love this one again, so i did make quite a bit of progress on it
- finishing dust sample (edm) --> finished
- sunlight rice finishing powder (edm) --> finished
- black mascara (essence) --> no progress, as i was working on the alverde mascara
- a honey beeswax lip balm (no real brand) --> dent is getting bigger, but this will still take me a while
- tropical eyecare serum (nonique) --> no real progress
- black willow post-shave tonic (sn) --> finished
- hair elixir (sn) --> nearly finished
- lip click bubble gum lip balm (sn) --> haven't started on this one yet, while i'm working on the honey lip balm
on top of that i used up 21 additional beauty (and beauty-related) products, like skincare and makeup samples, hairspray, nail polish remover, blotting papers... so yeeeyy :D
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Fri May 02, 2014 3:48 pm

one month has passed - time for another progress update :D
bellatete wrote:my initial project 17 pan:

- a baked bronzer from a german organic drugstore brand (alverde) --> hardly any progress noticable
- an apricot pressed blush (alverde) --> there's quite a lot of pan showing now, but it will still take me ages to completely finish it
- a lip plumping lip gloss (alverde) --> i think i've used about half of it
- a dark grey mascara (alverde) --> haven't used this at all last month, maybe i should really just toss it
- a diy pressed eyeshadow quad (all neutrals) --> there's still a very thin rim left of the lightest shade and i'm trying to use this bit up as my inner corner highlight, and i've finally hit pan on the darkest shade which i use as eyeliner almost daily
- a mix of golden and translucent cloud finishing powder samples (first SN product on my list!!) --> finished
- a faux bb cream which is really just a not-so-great tinted moisturizer (lavera) --> finished
- my current mineral foundation mix (mostly SN) so i can finally give the jar a good wash --> finished
- babydoll blush sample (SN) --> i used this only twice last month
- petal blush sample (SN) --> finished
- blonde brow cream sample (SN) --> finished
- a caramel kisser slicker (SN) --> ugh, i've started to dislike this lippie :( suddenly it pulls very pink on me. also, out of curiosity, i twisted it all the way out and shockingly there's still sooo much left of it
- the nananana boo boo vegan lipstick gwp (SN) --> no significant progress here
- penthouse cream shadow (SN) --> still not much progress here
- trixie lip stain (SN) --> not much progress here either

- a pressed powder foundation which i used to love before i went all natural (dianne brill) --> pan is getting bigger and bigger, so i'm guessing this will be finished by the end of may
- black mascara (essence) --> i've been using this almost daily, but since this was a very wet formula to begin with it's still going strong
- a honey beeswax lip balm (no real brand) --> i've finally hit pan but there's still so much product left
- tropical eyecare serum (nonique) --> i started using this as a face moisturizer so it should be done quickly
- hair elixir (sn) --> finished
- lip click bubble gum lip balm (sn) --> i made this my tv lippie (what i apply while watching tv) and since then i've already hit pan :D
with this update i've used up exactly half of my 30 project pan items. as last time i also finished quite a few other beauty products, like a sample each of malibu miss and tahiti sweetie (i used these to darken a foundation mix that was too light), a lush face cream and some other skincare products.

let's see how i progress from here on out, since there's a few items that will take me really long (like the baked bronzer and the lippies...), but i think i'll allow myself a tiny littly sn shopping spree for reaching 15/30 :P
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:01 pm

it's almost 2 months later, but the progress is slowing down, so i wanted to give myself a little more time before i report back... and this time, with photos :D
bellatete wrote: - a baked bronzer from a german organic drugstore brand (alverde) --> this product is surprisingly pigmented, and on my fair skin i only need a little bit. but i'm committed to use it more now that it's summer and i need to match my face to my ever so slightly tanned body

- an apricot pressed blush (alverde) --> i gave this one a bit of a break in order to use up babydoll

- a lip plumping lip gloss (alverde) --> i melted it down in some hot water, and there's about a quarter left. i only use it once a day, before i leave the house

- a dark grey mascara (alverde) --> i finally tossed it, the smell was just too dodgy :?

- a diy pressed eyeshadow quad (all neutrals) --> not too much progress here

- a faux bb cream which is really just a not-so-great tinted moisturizer (lavera) --> finished

- my current mineral foundation mix (mostly SN) so i can finally give the jar a good wash --> finished

- babydoll blush sample (SN) --> finished

- a caramel kisser slicker (SN) --> i am back on using it, but there simply is no safe way to see how much is left

- the nananana boo boo vegan lipstick gwp (SN) --> i used this in conjunction with babydoll, and reapplied frequently during the day, but same with caramel, i'm too scared to twist it all out and then it might not go back in again

- penthouse cream shadow (SN) --> i only just started putting this back into my routine

- trixie lip stain (SN) --> i only just started putting this back into my routine

- a pressed powder foundation which i used to love before i went all natural (dianne brill) --> finished

- black mascara (essence) --> finished (it started to flake during the day so i figured it was time to toss it)

- a honey beeswax lip balm (no real brand) --> finished

- tropical eyecare serum (nonique) --> finished

- lip click bubble gum lip balm (sn) --> there's some progress, but not much
there are now only 9 products left on my list, but these will be some tough cookies. i am also adding in new products (not newly bought, though) as replacements for things i used up, like lip balm and mascara, but in the spirit of eventually finishing this project, they don't count towards my (sort of) no-buy :mrgreen:
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 am

time for another update on my project pan. since i didn't manage to finish any of my products in the month of july - as anticipated, the last few products would take a bit longer, but also i was on vacation and really wanted to use some fun holiday products - i wanted to wait out the whole month of august to see how far i can get. so here it goes...

- a lip plumping lip gloss (alverde) --> finally finished :D i dug out every last bit with a lip brush, when the doe foot applicator wouldn't reach the bottom of the tube any longer. it was just a small one but i feel super proud!!

- caramel kisser slicker (SN) --> finished to the very last bit with a lip brush... so happy!!

- nananana boo boo vegan lipstick gwp (SN) --> finished this one as well with a lip brush

- lip click bubble gum lip balm (sn) --> thanks to a recent bout of hayfever, my nose and lips were in constant need of moisturization, so all of a sudden, it was gone :mrgreen:

- a baked bronzer from a german organic drugstore brand (alverde) --> this product is (nearly) invincible!! it just won't quit. i use it every day to contour and generally give my face a bit of colour. it's great when i fake tan, since my face always seems to stay lighter than the rest of my body. but i finally see a bit of the terracotta pan showing on the edge of the darker side, so that's motivating.

- an apricot pressed blush (alverde) --> similar to the bronzer, this blush keeps going and going. mid august i decided to repress it, so it's easier to get an even application, so the photo shows the before (right) and after (left) of that. the colour didn't change, it just looks like that because of different lighting.

- a diy pressed eyeshadow quad (all neutrals) --> i finally finished the last few crumbs of the lightest colour (bottom right) and cleaned out the pan with alcohol in preparation of pressing another light eyeshadow in it to use as a highlighter with the rest of the quad. i'm using the dark brown (top left) almost daily as a liner, and only just recently discovered how lovely the light grey (bottom left) looks in the crease. the only colour i probably won't be able to use up is the shimmery taupe (top right), since this shadow developed a bit of a funky texture, almost like a cream shadow :?

- penthouse cream shadow (SN) --> i mix 2 swipes of this with my sunscreen everyday to give a bit of glow, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the end... i even took the label off to see better, but it just looks full :cry:

- trixie lip stain (SN) --> i use this everyday before i leave the house. when i noticed that the doe foot applicator didn't come out fully coated anymore i peeled the label off to reveal... it's near the end!!

- a dark grey mascara (alverde) --> finished/tossed

- babydoll blush sample (SN) --> finished

- a pressed powder foundation which i used to love before i went all natural (dianne brill) --> finished

- black mascara (essence) --> finished/tossed

- a honey beeswax lip balm (no real brand) --> finished

- tropical eyecare serum (nonique) --> finished

i will not wait until the 5 remaining products are finished, but rather roll them over into my new project pan starting today, and just keep working on them. let me know if anyone's interested in the new list of nominated products ;)