The Cream Foundation Thread

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

The Cream Foundation Thread

Post by karen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:58 pm

So the cream foundations are on the site, and it seems like a lot of you are sampling them right now. I thought I'd create a thread to put the info, and answer questions if you have any.

My biggest piece of advice is to let it warm up. Let the packaging warm up, let it warm up on your skin a bit, and then see how you like it.

The sample pods aren't exactly ideal for them- it's really designed to function well as a stick, but you should be able to get a few uses out of it, and see how the colors work.

For blending I favor the black black blending sponge, but also like the white flat top kabuki. Fingers work just fine too.

You might need to play around with the finishing powders depending on what finish you like. I've been happy with Perfecting Powder, Sheer Zinc, and the Cloud Powder. The Cloud Powder is designed to give that "classic" powdered skin look...I ran across some old pics of my Grandmother, and decided to see if I could knock-off the Cody Air Spun she used to use. It comes close.

Enjoy!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Lalama

Re: The Cream Foundation Thread

Post by Lalama » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I have to say that I love the new cream foundation! This is my first day wearing it, just got my package in the mail last night. It has lasted 10 hours and hasn't faded at all. I wore vitamin C serum underneath, the cream foundation on top of that and dusted a little powder over and it and it has stayed matte for my whole work day without drying out my skin. I actually find that if I wear powder with mica in it, it irritates my skin, but in this cream formula version I have no irritation at all! For reference I am 1 olive: 12-13 medium coverage white and a smidge buttery gold and I am wearing N30 and looks like the perfect match-though I will try my other samples. Thank you!
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:08 pm

I am wearing it today and really liking it so far. It is tedious to apply from the little sample pod because you have to keep dipping your finger in there, but once I get a full size it won't be a problem at all, it will probably be really quick and easy to glide the stick all over your face and then blend. I used a beauty-blender dupe sponge to blend and it worked very well.
The color I am wearing G20, seems like a really great match, I will still try the others I got just in case, but I think this will be the one.
I really like the coverage, it seems like it is quite build-able, I applied enough for about medium coverage and was very happy with that, it looked nice and natural on my skin.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
Maeva

Post by Maeva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I am stunned by how nice it looks!
I usually wear only a layer of Silk Powder dusted over with Flattery, as I do not care for the mask-like finish of foundation. The other problem I have with foundation, including powdered foundation, is that it sinks into the fine lines on my face after a few hours, which makes my face look heavy and tired.
The HDCF is different. It blends beautifully and matches my skin tone nicely. The velvety finish is all it is boasted to be. Even 7 hours later (and counting) it still looks smooth and pretty fresh. I am really impressed!
I find it easier to blend if I apply it when my skin is still slightly tacky with moisturizer. The Cloud Powder "locks" it in place. Done.
My natural matching shade is G02, but G03 perks me up a bit without looking fake. I may try G04 for evening makeup.
You are truly an alchemist Karen. Thank you!
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
4wheel

Post by 4wheel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 pm

I played with mine today and if I apply the cloud powder then applied N50 to my face with a flat top brush and finished with a lighter layer of cloud it look great all day. Thanks for making a great winter foundation...its winter here to
day with all the snow and this is a great timing to bring your newest creation out. :D :D :D
PS I love love love the eye colors in the grab bag...thanks again!
BE the Light - Shimmer and Shine!
naughtykittens

Post by naughtykittens » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 am

I'm loving this so far! I'll definitely be buying a full-size or two when I figure out what my best shade/s is/are. I got the two lightest gold tones, and Karen wasn't kidding when she said the lighter tones are REALLY light. I think G30 will be a good match, it's on the way.

I haven't used liquid/cream foundation in forever (and it never really worked for me) so I'm especially pleased this seems to be working so well for me. Thanks so much Karen!
Maeva

Post by Maeva » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:17 am

Here is a question: Do the ceramic microspheres alone, or together with the titanium dioxide, confer any sun protection? Is there a liberal amount of titanium dioxide in the formula?
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
Mairi

Post by Mairi » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:07 pm

I have a question too. What ARE ceramic microspheres? What are they made of and what function do they serve? I've never heard of it before.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:47 pm

It does have a fair amount of titanium dioxide in it....but if I'm going to be in strong sun for more than a few minutes I wear my sheer zinc powder to top it off. I haven't "battle tested" it on vacation yet, but the sheer zinc is a winner for me.

The ceramic microspheres are similar to the silica ones- they blur lines, but where the silica is porous, and absorbs a ton of oil (or water) the ceramic ones don't, so they work better in a cream formula, or for drier skin. They're made out of a mineral, but it's definitely a space age lab product.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
robinbird_22

Post by robinbird_22 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm jumping topic a little here since you are talking about the new microspheres. I hope that's okay.

I love SIAJ, but I find it too drying under my eyes sometimes. Theoretically, could I add some of the cloud powder to it to make it less drying?