Topical vitamin D?

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
Xarata

Topical vitamin D?

Post by Xarata » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52 am

When summer hits, I spend a lot of time outside. All that vitamin D means my skin looks incredible. However, as the weather gets colder and I spend less and less time outside, my skin starts to look worse and worse, by winter's peak I look terrible- and not just because i'm pale. Would love a gentle winter serum/moisturizer with vitamin d. The ones I use are rose serum and awesome sauce and I've been using shea and aloe lotion as a moisturizer, but any gentle one is good too.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
kchalbi

Re: Topical vitamin D?

Post by kchalbi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 am

My skin is the same way! I always take extra vit D in the winter, but I'd love it in a serum too!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 am

You might be onto something here...I've never actually seen it for sale as an ingredient. There's a cream available for people with psoraisis, and a super expensive serum.

I'll plonk around with it and see if it does anything for my skin. I'm getting that winter dull too.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
cristy_amk

Post by cristy_amk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:43 am

LOL I'm jumping on the bandwagon here! My skin is already looking rough :(
ludmila

Post by ludmila » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 am

There are in fact several reasons for our skin to look worse in the winter (e.g. low humidity, winds, central heating, hot baths/showers, lower liquid consumption, limited physical activity, dietary changes...), vitamin D deficiency may be just one of the many contributors, considering that UV radiation can still reach us in a cloudy day and moreover, our body can accumulate and store vitamin D overtime...
Still, a concentrated vitamin D serum sounds good, but I would rather use it in the summer along with some antioxidants. I've seen a few moisturisers with vitamin D, it's actually more popular in sunscreens, but I'm not sure about its concentration in those creams and I wonder if it's enough to do any good :?