Replace Menage?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
egerandi

Replace Menage?

Post by egerandi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm rediscovering Menage (buttercream formula), but the stick went bad a while ago. I love the nude plummy color and the decent (not sheer) coverage on my lips. I have other nude-ish colors that turn more pinky like centerfold and maiden and hey baby, so I'm wondering if there is an existing plummy nude in that coverage range out there that I'm not aware of?
Fashionista is one of my other favs when I need something plummy, but it's a bit much color sometimes.
bellatete

Re: Replace Menage?

Post by bellatete » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 pm

yep, my menage also turned bad on me some time ago :(

bobbi was the first thing that came to my mind, then cultured. also mirage turns slightly plummy - or mauve actually - on my lips.

i swatched a few of the lippies you mentioned, next to my suggestions (except bobbi, which i cannot find at the moment :? ), in the following order:

fashionista - hey baby - maiden - centerfold - cultured - mirage - birthday suit* - jaybird* - breathless*

* stumbled across those colours while searching for bobbi, so i thought i swatch them too ;)
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:47 pm

bellatete wrote:yep, my menage also turned bad on me some time ago :(

bobbi was the first thing that came to my mind, then cultured. also mirage turns slightly plummy - or mauve actually - on my lips.

i swatched a few of the lippies you mentioned, next to my suggestions (except bobbi, which i cannot find at the moment :? ), in the following order:

fashionista - hey baby - maiden - centerfold - cultured - mirage - birthday suit* - jaybird* - breathless*

* stumbled across those colours while searching for bobbi, so i thought i swatch them too ;)

Oh, thanks for the swatches!
Maiden, Centerfold and Breathless are pinkish on me. Never really considered Jaybird or Birthday Suit, as they are more brown than I would like them, but maaaaaybe :)
I was digging around and found some old sticks of Bobbi, Cultured and Mirage, so I'll check those before I toss them... I really have to clean up my stash :D
kchalbi

Post by kchalbi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Have you checked out Strut from the latest release? On me it doesn't seem quite as dark as the swatch, and it's definitely got more coverage than the glosses. I cannot compare it to Menage, but it is listed as a plummy nude.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

kchalbi wrote:Have you checked out Strut from the latest release? On me it doesn't seem quite as dark as the swatch, and it's definitely got more coverage than the glosses. I cannot compare it to Menage, but it is listed as a plummy nude.
Hmmm, it looks a little bit like Fashionista, so it's worthy of my attention :D
Thanks for the tip!
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:38 pm

MIrage and Cultured look like exactly what I was looking for, yay! I'm going to have to put in a replacement order for the new formula soon.