Laser hair removal and skincare best practices

fluttershy

Laser hair removal and skincare best practices

Post by fluttershy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm beginning a 6-ish session long laser hair removal journey with my arms--it's something I've wanted for a REALLY long time, so to actually start this is very exciting for me!

Has anyone here ever gone through laser hair removal? I was advised to gently exfoliate (not right after, a few days later) the area as hairs that have been killed will come to the surface and fall out. Between gently exfoliating and moisturizing, I think I'll be all right.

Would an AHA or BHA toner be better? I currently have the AHA toner, but I have never used the BHA one. I'd rather chemical exfoliation because I think it would be must gentler, and I want to be extra vigilant with the healing process because this is a big deal for me! It's a long process, so I don't want to mess this up.
bellatete

Re: Laser hair removal and skincare best practices

Post by bellatete » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

i think the aha toner has more exfoliating properties (as in "removing dead skin cells from the surface"), however, the bha toner is said to help against (post hair removal) breakouts. jenw (or other skin care gurus) please correct me if i'm wrong ;)

i have never tried laser hair removal, but i epilate my legs quite frequently and i always used to get spots a couple of days afterwards. i am now using the black willow aftershave immediately after epilation and also for about a week after, mornings and evenings after showering and before moisturizing, and tadaaa, no more breakouts :D

good luck with your laser sessions!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 pm

bellatete is right. AHA is for surface, BHA for clearing the pores. As with anything, go light at first and proceed with caution. Discontinue use if you have issues. The black willow aftershave would work, too.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

I already have plenty of the AHA toner. Do you think that would be okay to start with, or would it be better to try the aftershave?
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I am kind of leaning toward the aftershave to clear out the pore. From the action they recommend it sounds like they want the pore cleared rather than surface exfoliation. Still, I am not an expert on this. This is just my educated guess.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com