Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm

nfig wrote:Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me out with color suggestions for foundation. I have no idea if I am warm, cool, or neutral. I used Silk Naturals a couple of years ago then switched to a tinted moisturizer for awhile. I have come to the conclusion that my skin looks so much better with Silk Naturals (skin care and foundation) so am back! I don't remember what my previous recipe was. I think I used ebony. I was hoping someone could look at my pic below and suggest what I should buy?
Olive or Ebony. Ebony will be 1 scoop color to about 8 or 9 white. Olive will be one scoop color to about 14-16 white. You are pretty much neutral.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
amandavenner

Post by amandavenner » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (123.25 KiB) Viewed 56053 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (123.25 KiB) Viewed 56053 times
Hello, I was hoping for help deciding what foundation to start with. I think my skin is fairly pale with warmish undertones, and I've been wearing BE Fairly Light for years now (sorry I don't have more to go off of). This is what I look like in the natural light from my window (I can't figure out why it has rotated/how to fix it, sorry).
Thank you!
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:09 pm

amandavenner-

I can't really narrow it down to one. It could be Warm Gold or Olive. Warm Gold will be about 1 scoop color to 8 or 9ish white. Olive will be one scoop color to about 14+ white. I would get a sample kit just to be sure.
Faves-
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi, Jen!
Hope for your advice. I have had many good matches as I used to change my hair color from black to red to blond and I was getting very tanny in summer and very pale in winter, but now I am always blond and limited my exposure to the sun and I find myself recreating my ratio from the signature. But it is quite complicated. Is there a way to make is simpler or it is ok? (Actually I have simplified it a little already, but want to check). Thanks in advance!
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Die Marchen wrote:Hi, Jen!
Hope for your advice. I have had many good matches as I used to change my hair color from black to red to blond and I was getting very tanny in summer and very pale in winter, but now I am always blond and limited my exposure to the sun and I find myself recreating my ratio from the signature. But it is quite complicated. Is there a way to make is simpler or it is ok? (Actually I have simplified it a little already, but want to check). Thanks in advance!
Well, Ebony and Buttery Gold add neutral tint for the first and yellow plus a little olive for the second. Obviously, you need a little more yellow than that with the Yellow Booster and Liberty. I can't really see where you can cut it much. The Beach Bunny probably adds just a touch of warmth back in.....
Faves-
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 am

JenW wrote:
Well, Ebony and Buttery Gold add neutral tint for the first and yellow plus a little olive for the second. Obviously, you need a little more yellow than that with the Yellow Booster and Liberty. I can't really see where you can cut it much. The Beach Bunny probably adds just a touch of warmth back in.....
Sorry, I don't understand the first and second(I do not use Olive or you mean olive?). Do the ingredients fight each other?
I used to wear Ebony based mix + yellow booster with red hair and then Buttery Gold with yellow booster when I had greenish blond hair. Now I'm back to my almost natural hair with just some highlights and had to bring some ebony back as my foundation lacked something. I tried Olive several times but it was bad. I also tried Sleep in a Jar as a yellow ingredient and it worked great :-) As for Beach Bunny I've added it to perk myself up a little. To make tannier.
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Die Marchen wrote:
JenW wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand the first and second(I do not use Olive or you mean olive?). Do the ingredients fight each other?
I used to wear Ebony based mix + yellow booster with red hair and then Buttery Gold with yellow booster when I had greenish blond hair. Now I'm back to my almost natural hair with just some highlights and had to bring some ebony back as my foundation lacked something. I tried Olive several times but it was bad. I also tried Sleep in a Jar as a yellow ingredient and it worked great :-) As for Beach Bunny I've added it to perk myself up a little. To make tannier.
I did not mean Olive color base. Buttery Gold is comprised of olive tones and yellow tones.
Faves-
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 am

Oh, got it! Thanks a lot!
oceanid

Post by oceanid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 pm

JenW wrote:
oceanid wrote:Hello! I ordered the sample of medium deep cream concealer #4, and it is a perfect color match. #4 cream concealer has the right amount of yellow, beige and peach for me. However, I have trouble with mixing the right color of foundation. Would you please help me for foundation recipe?

Thank you for your great help ;)
What have you tried? It kind of looks close to Buttery Gold at about a 1 scoop color to 5ish white. Or maybe Warm gold 1:6ish.

Thanks Jen! With your help, I'm now able to find my perfect match foundation: buttery gold 1:6 white
Also, "cream concealer #4 medium deep" is a must have for MAC30 girls like me. It totally covers dark spots, blemishes, under eye circles without being cakey. It lasts all day too! Love it <3 ;)

Again, thank you so much!
jloudu

Post by jloudu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,

I just got one of the foundation sample packs (vegan formulation, if that makes a difference) and am a little lost when it comes to finding my color. Here are a couple pictures of me in natural light. If anybody has any ideas for a good starting mix, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 55275 times
Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 55275 times