Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
estellelynn

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by estellelynn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Hello! I'm relatively new to Silk Naturals, but after trying some of the Silk Naturals skincare products, I'm hooked! I purchased a sample of the medium coverage foundation and mixed a batch of 1 Buttery Gold: 11 white. It is a spot-on match along my jawline and around the edges of my face, but as the day goes on, it seems to get ever so slightly too yellow in the center of my face. So, I decided to try 1 Olive: 1/2 scoop Buttery Gold: 12 white, and it was the opposite - perfect in the center of my face but not the right color as it came to the outer perimeter/jawline. Is there something I can do to either one of these recipes so I don't have to use two different mixes? Or am I not applying/blending correctly (which is quite possible!)?

For reference, MAC NC20 is close. Nars Sheer Glow in Gobi is a 100% match. I have pretty strong yellow undertones (except in the center of my face, I guess!), hazel eyes, and light brown hair.

Thanks so much!!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 am

estellelynn wrote:Hello! I'm relatively new to Silk Naturals, but after trying some of the Silk Naturals skincare products, I'm hooked! I purchased a sample of the medium coverage foundation and mixed a batch of 1 Buttery Gold: 11 white. It is a spot-on match along my jawline and around the edges of my face, but as the day goes on, it seems to get ever so slightly too yellow in the center of my face. So, I decided to try 1 Olive: 1/2 scoop Buttery Gold: 12 white, and it was the opposite - perfect in the center of my face but not the right color as it came to the outer perimeter/jawline. Is there something I can do to either one of these recipes so I don't have to use two different mixes? Or am I not applying/blending correctly (which is quite possible!)?

For reference, MAC NC20 is close. Nars Sheer Glow in Gobi is a 100% match. I have pretty strong yellow undertones (except in the center of my face, I guess!), hazel eyes, and light brown hair.

Thanks so much!!!
The first thing I would try is adding just a little more white to the second mix. It seems to me that the second mix should require more white. Olive base is much more intense than Buttery Gold. For similar depth in medium coverage, it takes 8 white in Buttery Gold, or 12 white with Olive. Your Olive mix also has some Buttery Gold in it, so it might need even a few more. I would add 2-6 scoops more of white. Hopefully, that will solve your problem.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
estellelynn

Post by estellelynn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for your help, Jen! I ran out of my white sample while experimenting with other mixes, so I will try adding more white to the mix when I reorder. Have a great weekend!
Ryene Astraelis

Post by Ryene Astraelis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi! I joined because I am having difficulty mixing up a suitable foundation with the kit. I find that many foundations from companies are too saturated; they end up looking very pink, orange, or yellow on my skin. I've tried Olive from various brands, and they don't quite work either.

Here is a pic. It's slightly old, so I am probably darker now, but I think it gives a good idea of my current overtone. (If you look at the area around my armpits, that's closer to my untanned complexion.)

JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Ryene-

Our Olive is less green/yellow than most. I still think Olive. Maybe even Ebony (because of the way you describe other companies being too 'other' colored).

Olive 1: to about 8 white
Ebony 1: about 2 white
Faves-
Ryene Astraelis

Post by Ryene Astraelis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 am

JenW wrote:Ryene-

Our Olive is less green/yellow than most. I still think Olive. Maybe even Ebony (because of the way you describe other companies being too 'other' colored).

I find SN's Olive blend a bit pink against my skin. Is Ebony even pinker?
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

Ryene Astraelis wrote:
JenW wrote:Ryene-

I find SN's Olive blend a bit pink against my skin. Is Ebony even pinker?
It is more neutral than Olive, but yes, it might still be too pink.

If you find Olive too pink, I am not sure where to direct you, next. Warm Gold will be too pink, Buttery Gold, too yellow. Olive and Ebony are our most neutral shades.....Olive on the slightly warm side of neutral, Ebony on the slightly cool side of neutral.
Faves-
oceanid

Post by oceanid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:24 am

Hello! I ordered the sample of medium deep cream concealer #4, and it is a perfect color match. #4 cream concealer has the right amount of yellow, beige and peach for me. However, I have trouble with mixing the right color of foundation. Would you please help me for foundation recipe?

Thank you for your great help ;)
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 pm

oceanid wrote:Hello! I ordered the sample of medium deep cream concealer #4, and it is a perfect color match. #4 cream concealer has the right amount of yellow, beige and peach for me. However, I have trouble with mixing the right color of foundation. Would you please help me for foundation recipe?

Thank you for your great help ;)
What have you tried? It kind of looks close to Buttery Gold at about a 1 scoop color to 5ish white. Or maybe Warm gold 1:6ish.
Faves-
nfig

Post by nfig » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Thank you so much for the recs!
Last edited by nfig on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.