Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
jbone1390

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by jbone1390 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27 am

Hi! I just got a couple of sample kits in the mail and I'm a tad overwhelmed at where to begin. I wore Olive Fair back when I used Everyday Minerals, and I think I used medium-light and medium when I used Bare Minerals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 am

jbone1390 wrote:Hi! I just got a couple of sample kits in the mail and I'm a tad overwhelmed at where to begin. I wore Olive Fair back when I used Everyday Minerals, and I think I used medium-light and medium when I used Bare Minerals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would try our Olive or Warm Gold. It is hard for me to do anything with depth because Olive Fair was pretty fair, and as far as I know the other shades are not. Olive Fair is close to 1Olive:12-15 white. The medium ranges are 1Olive:8-12. For Warm Gold in the fair range is 1WG:8-10, in the medium range it is 1WG:6-8 white.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
sshaannon

Post by sshaannon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I've never tried Silk Naturals before, but I am hoping to find something that will work for me! Bare Minerals Fairly Light is too orange, Bare Minerals "Light" is much too yellow and too dark. Meow Cosmetics' Siamese was too pink. My skin is a creamy yellow / beige that is not yellow nor pink... I have yet to find a foundation match! The closest I have ever worn was MUFE #117... Any suggestions?
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:10 pm

sshaannon wrote:I've never tried Silk Naturals before, but I am hoping to find something that will work for me! Bare Minerals Fairly Light is too orange, Bare Minerals "Light" is much too yellow and too dark. Meow Cosmetics' Siamese was too pink. My skin is a creamy yellow / beige that is not yellow nor pink... I have yet to find a foundation match! The closest I have ever worn was MUFE #117... Any suggestions?
Welcome!

And I would try the Olive range. It sounds like you are mostly neutral. If I remember, Siamese is kind of cool toned. The things you said about the other company led me to Olive. Not too yellow or too orange. You will probably need around 1 scoop color to about 12-14 white if Fairly Light was too orange and Light too dark. If you then decide it is not yellow enough, you can add a little Yellow Booster in.
Faves-
AprilT

Post by AprilT » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Hello! I am a new SN customer and received my lovely haul of goodies a few weeks ago. I basically ordered a bunch of samples of this and that to try out. I would like to say I LOVE the foundation!! You don't know how hard it is for me to find a 'perfect' match. I usually have to spend too much money buying 2-3 different shades of foundation just to blend in the right match. A bit about myself/skin: I am 35 and recently (the past 2 years) my skin went downhill.. My face erupted with adult acne/cystic acne. I never had juvenile acne, I guess this is paybacks.. or stress/hormonal. My face is a bit under control now but suffer from scarring. It has been hard to find something to give me great coverage without having a heavy makeup look. I am also very pale (porcelain/ivory foundation user) with a bit of redness. I am cool toned. I have green/blue eyes, reddish blonde hair. I purchased the medium and heavy coverage. The heavy coverage works best and it covers beautifully! My face routine: moisturizer, L'Oreal oil control primer, Sonia Kashuk hidden agenda concealer (I let these set for a few minutes), SN oil control primer, sleep in a jar extra light peach, SN heavy foundation 9 white: 1 and a pinch Ebony, perfecting finishing powder. This matches/covers quite well but is lacking a bit of color. My chest is darker/redder from being sunburned many times in my youth, I do add foundation to that area. I like a mostly matte look but want a bit of a glow. I purchased the Angel and also the glow foundation but not sure how to incorporate them for highlighting and glowing up my look? Also any suggesting or adding a hint of color to my foundation? I'm not sure what the peach powder would do? Thank you. I'm adding a photo ugh I am awful without makeup :(
Attachments
1653668_10202507205634719_302920922_n.jpg
1653668_10202507205634719_302920922_n.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 64276 times
1962811_10202507205954727_1323796722_n.jpg
1962811_10202507205954727_1323796722_n.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 64276 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi AprilT,

I really can't tell much from the pic. I need photos in daylight if possible without a light behind.

However, from your excellent description, I am thinking Peach might work better than Ebony. It tends to run a little more intense in color, so you will need less of it than Ebony.

For highlighting with Angel, the usual method is to apply some with a blush brush to the high points of the face (forehead, cheekbones, maybe some on the chin). For Glow Foundation, usually one replaces a few of the scoops of white in the foundation recipe for a slight all over glow. One or two for a slight or semi-matte finish, up to half of the whites for more of a sheen.
Faves-
AprilT

Post by AprilT » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Thank you JenW for the reply. Sorry about the pics, I was unable to get some with natural light. I will order some peach and try that. I have been using the Angel as a highlighter and I do love the results. Next time I will add some Glow with my white to see how that looks. I just can't speak enough on how much I love the foundation! I researched best heavy coverage foundations for acne and tried almost every one on the list (besides Dermablend) and had mediocre results. I stumbled upon Silk Naturals in an internet search and I am SO glad I did. I will post a pic later of my 'finished' face. You can barely tell I have acne/scars. And it doesn't look cakey or heavy. My only issue is not being able to 'fill in' my pores and 'ice pick' scar marks. I have a few in my cheek area. I use both L'Oreal HD primer and SN oil control primer. I think I need to research more to find another primer. But hey, I can't have a perfectly flawless face so I'm not complaining on what I have now with SN. I have my confidence back thanks to these products :)
AprilT

Post by AprilT » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 pm

I uploaded a few more pics in the best 'natural' light I can get. It's about 10 degrees outside. My face has a lot of redness. I'm a pale/pinky kind of gal. How much peach should I add to my foundation? What would be the right mix? Like I said previously, I use the heavy foundation 9 white: 1 and a pinch Ebony. Thank you :)
Attachments
1622240_10202537367228740_1191369038_n.jpg
1622240_10202537367228740_1191369038_n.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 64261 times
1779700_10202537367748753_488873517_n.jpg
1779700_10202537367748753_488873517_n.jpg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 64261 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 am

AprilT,

I do think the Peach is worth a try. It is also very intense compared to Ebony. My daughter is a very pinky pale, and she is like a 1:24-30 in Original Formula. You will probably be close to that, but since you are going with Heavy Coverage, try 1:15 and go up from there adding 2 scoops at a time.(also, you should see your posts right away from here on out)
Faves-
AprilT

Post by AprilT » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Thank you JenW. I will place an order for the peach. I feel like a mad scientist mixing my concoctions lol I also want to add for anyone who may be reading these thread posts.. If you are still hesitant on trying the foundation, don't hesitate! I never go to bed without washing my face and last night I fell asleep with my face on. I woke up and everything was still in place and NO breakouts. I truly believe this is better for my skin than the other foundations. Don't ever stop making Silk Naturals PLEASE! ;) I will be a customer for life!