Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Chocolatebliss

Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by Chocolatebliss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I have just been introduced to Silk Naturals and am really keen to try them. Trouble is I have no idea where to start. I've posted a couple of pics in the hope that you'll be able to get me started. My face has a bit more colour than my neck and rest of me, purely from day to day incidental sun exposure. Generally I can't take much sun before I burn (especially here in NZ). My skin type is oily, so I also have large-ish pores. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attachments
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 121231 times
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 121231 times
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm

I think Ebony will be closest, but you might want a little yellow in there, too. I would still get a sample kit plus Yellow Booster. I know you are overseas, so you also might consider a white foundation refill. The formula I think will be easiest is Original.

My guess is 1 Ebony: 9 white : 1 Yellow Booster.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Chocolatebliss

Post by Chocolatebliss » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks so much! I'll give that combination a try.
chocolatestrawberry

Post by chocolatestrawberry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi JenW! I'm so excited to receive your help. I just ordered the All-Purpose sample kit (plus the peach and deep ebony samples) and am seeking help in matching! I have the notoriously tricky to match South Asian (Indian) skintone-- both warm and cool, somewhere between MAC NC40 and NC42, darker on the T-zone, fairer on the cheeks. Nose also often appears red. Tempt Tryst leans a little yellow on me, and Tahiti Sweetie, reddish.

[Removed pictures]

Thanks in advance for your advice :)!!
Last edited by chocolatestrawberry on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 am

chocolatestrawberry-
Olive.

I think this is the color for you. Try 1 scoop color to about 8-10 white.
Faves-
chocolatestrawberry

Post by chocolatestrawberry » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Wow! I thought it was going to be way more complicated than that! Thank you so much Jen!! I'm excited to try it out!

Follow-up question, if you don't mind-- does the color need to be changed in any way if we are also using the all-purpose foundation as a concealer? (i.e. does a green powder need to be added if it's covering blemishes/peach color for undereye circles) And do you recommend applying it dry as a concealer before powdering all over or mixing the foundation with a medium like water or a moisturizer to make a it a cream concealer?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help! I'm so excited to have found Silk Naturals recently, I've switched over all of my makeup to SN!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 pm

chocolatestrawberry wrote:Follow-up question, if you don't mind-- does the color need to be changed in any way if we are also using the all-purpose foundation as a concealer? (i.e. does a green powder need to be added if it's covering blemishes/peach color for undereye circles) And do you recommend applying it dry as a concealer before powdering all over or mixing the foundation with a medium like water or a moisturizer to make a it a cream concealer?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help! I'm so excited to have found Silk Naturals recently, I've switched over all of my makeup to SN!
For concealers it really is just playing with it to see what happens. Usually, it goes on more heavily just by using a different brush. We have some that use the heavy formula to mix a concealer. It actually is brilliant to add a little green booster. I never even considered that! For peachy under eye concealers, we do have samples of those. The concealer color on the peach concealers is just peachy, where there is some brown in the Peach color base for foundation. Water might work for application, and mixing in a little moisturizer as you are using it might work, too. I did try premixing a powdered concealer in my eye cream once. All it did was demulsify (the water phase separated from the oil phase), so just proceed in small batches.
Faves-
chocolatestrawberry

Post by chocolatestrawberry » Thu May 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks! You were right on about the foundation color by the way, Olive was definitely the perfect base. The all-purpose foundation isn't giving me the kind of coverage I need to use it as a concealer, though, so I'll definitely check out the heavy foundation because the cream concealers don't suit my skin color.
Travnikova

Post by Travnikova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 am

Hello :)
Please, can you help me with choosing my colour of foundation?
I think I will order medium coverage. But I wanted to ask - is it possible to have my own package of samples - I mean I would like to try vegan too, so can I get two samples medium ( ivory and colour) and two vegan (ivory and colour) ?
Thanks so much for your answer! :)

Foto - I couldn t take it more truthful, I have a little bit yellow undertone, so I took my hand too. In the summer is my tan usually bronze.

Have a nice day. 8-)
Attachments
silk naturals.jpg
silk naturals.jpg (396.52 KiB) Viewed 120877 times
silk n.jpg
silk n.jpg (380.97 KiB) Viewed 120877 times
silk.jpg
silk.jpg (432.86 KiB) Viewed 120877 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Travnikova,

Our samples are prepackaged. I know I have a pretty good system of predicting foundation shades, but I am not always right, so you might need those other colors. When you do order the sample kits and figure out the formula you like, you may be able to order just the white foundation refill for a few rounds before needing to order the full size foundation kit.

In looking at your pictures, you might be an Olive (1 scoop color to about 15 scoops white) or a Yellow Booster plus Ebony(1 scoop Ebony: 1 or 2 scoops Yellow Booster: 9 to 11 scoops white). I do think the yellow will help with redness.
Faves-