Using loose powders for lips and blush...how?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
fluttershy

Using loose powders for lips and blush...how?

Post by fluttershy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm

I've heard people talk about utilizing loose powder shadows on their lips and cheeks. How is this done? I received "Anywhere" - a really lovely pinky, plummy red matte in my last order, and I don't think it would be well suited for my eyes. How can I put this to use?
Xarata

Re: Using loose powders for lips and blush...how?

Post by Xarata » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 am

For cheeks, you just use it the same way you would any powdered blush. For super-pigmented shades a fiber optic brush makes it easier to apply in a natural-looking way.

For lips, you generally need a base of some kind. You can use any clear balm. Some people dip the balm in the powder and apply, most apply the balm and pat on the color, smoosh it a bit and reapply. You can try mixing the color into the balm before application, but i find it difficult with wax based balms

You can also use something like a clear sticky gloss(liquid) or a just straight castor oil (which will not be very moisturizing but will work very well). For those you put a drop or two on a mixing palette (i mix on the back of my hand) and shake some powder into the liquid, mix it smooth, and paint it on with a lipbrush. Something like SN's coy will take a red plum and mute it into something of a vintage rose color. SN offers a clear liquid gloss and a milky liquid gloss that are both great for that.
*I prefer liquid bases for turning pigment into lipstick, but i also recommend using a liner (even if it's just a clear wax liner) with liquid lipcolor

Update:
Anywhere makes for a much cooler toned purple/mauve lippie than I would probably wear, but I'm also pretty warm. I demo'd with SN's Coy because I don't have clear, but SN's clear isn't fundamentally all that different from a liptar (they both use castor oil and a second more moisturizing oil- SN's will be more moisturizing, and liptar stays put longer)

(This is way more gloss than you need, I was just doing a demo)
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
yogingineer

Post by yogingineer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Where does this Anywhere come from? Was it a GWP? It's gorgeous.
7 Ivory: 1.5 BG: 0.5 Olive... for now...
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm

it was a GWP about a month ago
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow, thank you for putting so much time and effort into that reply. It was so informative! It looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth to utilize it as a lip color, but maybe I can pull it off as a blush (or find some way to use it on my eyes).
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 am

fluttershy, maybe you can use it as sort of a transition colour between the crease colour and the browbone highlight, to add a pop of colour to an otherwise neutral eye. i have seen this done on youtube a lot and have recently tried it out with watermelon - a bright pinky coral (or watermelony, actually) colour i was also just able to use as a blush until then.
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 am

bellatete wrote:fluttershy, maybe you can use it as sort of a transition colour between the crease colour and the browbone highlight, to add a pop of colour to an otherwise neutral eye. i have seen this done on youtube a lot and have recently tried it out with watermelon - a bright pinky coral (or watermelony, actually) colour i was also just able to use as a blush until then.
That might work, I'll have to look up some youtube videos! It would be a useful skill to have and put some more colorful shades to good use.