I'm really new to this! Blue-grey eyes + cool skintone help

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
fluttershy

I'm really new to this! Blue-grey eyes + cool skintone help

Post by fluttershy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm a pretty new-ish customer and had a lot of fun trying out some fun colors in my first purchase, but I really want my next selection of eyeshadow colors to work for me!

I have blueish-grey eyes, super pale skin, and cool undertones. At least... I think I do. I am not very adventurous or daring and just like nice everyday looks. I typically curl my lashes and just put some brow cream along my tightline, so no real eyeliner or mascara use.

What kinds of colors or combinations would work best for someone with my sort of coloring?
Attachments
face.png
face.png (267.24 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
shiny

Re: I'm really new to this! Blue-grey eyes + cool skintone h

Post by shiny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Welcome to the board!

Our eyes are similar color, but my skin is a little more medium and neutral- not quite as cool. I like to create a very natural, soft eye using two colors with a liner. My favorites are browns, taupes and greens, nothing shimmery.

I use a medium depth color on the outer 1/3 of my eyelid and in the crease for contour, with a highlighter on the inner 2/3 of my eyelid and under the brow. Your eyes aren't nearly as deep-set as mine, so you can probably enjoy more color on your eyelid than I can. My favorite colors are:

For crease and contour:
Eu-taupe-ia
Stag
Danny
Mink (nice for evening, too, and it makes a great liner)

Highlighter under brow and on lid:
Bristol
Restless
Goddess

Cameo, Tru Luv and First Kiss might work, too.

Hopefully people smarter than I will chime in.
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 am

That's really helpful, thank you! I really like mink, it looks nice! A lot of the colors you mentioned do seem kind of warm, and I don't know if I'd be breaking some kind of cardinal makeup law if I wore warm colors with a cool skintone, haha.

I love using Cloudberry and Goddess for my highlight colors. Lately I've been using Sari as an all-over-lid color, then with a teeny tiny blended smattering of action on the very outside corner and Goddess as a highlight for the browbone and inner corner.

From my first purchase, I got
  • Cloudberry
    Goddess
    Propinquity (I enjoy using this as an all-over color too)
    Sari
    Fierce (thought reds and coppers might be nice with blue eyes, but I haven't figured out how to use this without looking like I've been crying)
    Heat (Same as above, it's so intense!!!)
    Action
    Early (a really pretty teal-ish green that was a free sample - I thought it'd be too much, but I actually really like it! I put it on the outer 2/3rds and use Goddess as a highlighter again).
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I also wanted to ask (and was thinking of editing my reply but... I think the forum ate it? I haven't seen it appear yet), is there some kind of rule against combining matte and shimmery shadows in the same look?
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:59 am

fluttershy wrote:I also wanted to ask (and was thinking of editing my reply but... I think the forum ate it? I haven't seen it appear yet), is there some kind of rule against combining matte and shimmery shadows in the same look?
There are no rules about combining finishes.

We do moderate the first several posts of new board members. It is part of our measures to keep out spam. You should be able to see them from here on out.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:23 am

JenW wrote:
fluttershy wrote:I also wanted to ask (and was thinking of editing my reply but... I think the forum ate it? I haven't seen it appear yet), is there some kind of rule against combining matte and shimmery shadows in the same look?
There are no rules about combining finishes.

We do moderate the first several posts of new board members. It is part of our measures to keep out spam. You should be able to see them from here on out.
Oh!! Thank you for letting me know. I wasn't entirely sure how that worked. :)
shiny

Post by shiny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Brown contrasts with blue eyes and makes them come alive. But all browns aren't necessarily warm. Some are cooler, some are warmer.

Eu-Taupe-ia is pretty neutral- not warm or cool. Stag actually has some pink in it. It isn't as warm as say, Terra, which is one of my best colors.

Here's a pic of (from L to R) Eu-Taupe-Ia, Terra, Stag and Mink, with Bristol in between them and Restless across the bottom.
-
taupes.jpg
taupes.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:51 pm

shiny wrote:Brown contrasts with blue eyes and makes them come alive. But all browns aren't necessarily warm. Some are cooler, some are warmer.

Eu-Taupe-ia is pretty neutral- not warm or cool. Stag actually has some pink in it. It isn't as warm as say, Terra, which is one of my best colors.

Here's a pic of (from L to R) Eu-Taupe-Ia, Terra, Stag and Mink, with Bristol in between them and Restless across the bottom.
I actually just purchased the brown quad earlier today thinking that might help too! I also grabbed "Naughty", "Forgery", and "Kind", since they looked cooler.
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

fluttershy wrote:Is there some kind of rule against combining matte and shimmery shadows in the same look?
I just wanted to jump in here, even though Jen already answered, there's definitely no rule. In fact, mixing finishes is encouraged! A matte highlight with a shimmer lid is totally cool, or vice versa. For me, at least, makeup rules are guidelines, not commands. Makeup is about fun and about self-expression. Sure, there's the days you want to look pretty and just enhance your features, but the days when you might feel like wearing bright green eyeshadow and hot pink lipstick are also fine. So if you find something that's a little out there but you like, go for it! As I speak, I'm wearing Mayhem, the pretty plum lippie that I couldn't resist. I slapped it on because I'm out with my brothers running errands and it's a 'practice run.' You're pretty, and your semi-neutral coloring means you can probably get away with more! ;) So play with makeup and have fun!
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

This was some great feedback! I'm still learning new things and getting a hang of the basics. I received my recent order yesterday and tried out the Elegant Brown Quad. I still have a lot to learn... (and I think my eyebrows are a bit frightful looking, now that I take a good look).
Attachments
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG (251.01 KiB) Viewed 8492 times
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG (244.61 KiB) Viewed 8492 times