What sunscreen do you use?

beautifulplanet

What sunscreen do you use?

Post by beautifulplanet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:27 pm

I'd love to know what sunscreen fans of Silk Naturals use. I'm struggling to find one that works with my skin and isn't full of nasty stuff. Thanks!
bellatete

Re: What sunscreen do you use?

Post by bellatete » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm

i have been using only natural cosmetics for years no, so i have never tried those fancy chemical sunscreens specifically for the face. my skin is sensitive and oily/combination (jackpot!!), and i hate the feeling of thick creams (mineral sunscreens tend to be on the thicker side) on my face.

what i do instead: i mix some sheer zinc powder into my foundation. i know it hasn't been tested for spf and no such claims can be made officially, but it got my fair, easily-burning skin through a 2 week beach vacation without any burn!!
shiny

Post by shiny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 pm

A nice, wide-brimmed hat.
beautifulplanet

Post by beautifulplanet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Oh, I'm new to all of this. So just mix in a tiny bit with liquid foundation? Thanks!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 am

beautifulplanet wrote:Oh, I'm new to all of this. So just mix in a tiny bit with liquid foundation? Thanks!
It would be easier (and much less messy) to use it as an all over face powder.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 am

beautifulplanet wrote:Oh, I'm new to all of this. So just mix in a tiny bit with liquid foundation? Thanks!
sorry, i forgot to mention that i am using sn mineral foundation (powder), not liquid. when i mix a new batch, i simply replace some of the ivory with sheer zinc powder. that's it.

but as jenw mentioned, if you are using liquid foundation, then just top it off with a dusting of sheer zinc. you will get a more even sun protection like that, and it acts a bit like a setting powder, too ;)
beautifulplanet

Post by beautifulplanet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Ahhh, thanks so much. Maybe once I get my moisturizer figured out (I ordered some samples) I can try mineral foundation again. It hasn't worked on my aging skin....
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Re non-chemical sunscreen. I hear rave reviews about the sunscreen from Snowberry. Since it's a New Zealand company I simply cannot justify the carbon footprint though. I draw the line from importing SN from the US. :lol:
I tend to use SN zinc powder, last year I had no problems on Tenerife, just mixed it in my foundation and on top of it just to be on the safe side. :D
I use for my body and if swimming for my face OY (Organic Young) face the sun SPF15, it's a British wide spectrum organic sunscreen, it spreads nicely and there is no whiteness afterwards. It would be great to find a more affordable alternative mineral sunscreen though.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Heidiv

Post by Heidiv » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 am

I use Josie Maran's spf 40+ daily moisturizer. I just started wearing it about 3 months ago but it's really been great for winter protection. My skin is normal with drier cheeks for reference. Since I have melasma (hyper pigmentation) I feel I need to use something with proven SPF for sunscreen, every day without fail. As far as sunscreens go, I won't use a chemical type, my skin just doesn't agree with them.
MagRo

Post by MagRo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I use Devita (great for mixing with foundation, though I saw they have a new tinted version). I also touch up with some zinc powder- I'm so white it doesn't really show on my skin, I keep a little shaker of it in my bag when I'm out and about. And hats, lots of hats.