Essential oils?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
feyith

Essential oils?

Post by feyith » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Karen, would it be too much of a trade secret to ask what brand of essential oils you use for your lovely scent flavorings? I'm just looking for something to mix with Epsom salt for anti stress baths and could use any advice about what's good/bad?
karen
Site Admin

Re: Essential oils?

Post by karen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

Pretty much the cornerstone of most of the EO blends is a French lavender essential oil that I get from the farmer in France when we go to visit my MIL. She lives about 5 miles from the prime lavender growing part of France, and we try to visit either during or just after harvest so we get almost straight from the still.

Another great place to get them is eBay. As shady as that site is sometimes I've never been burned on a small volume EO purchase. Most of our suppliers sell it by the pound, and you'll never use it up in a million years.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Heidiv

Post by Heidiv » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 pm

I wanted to wait until Karen answered since she's who you posted to. I just wanted to give you a little advanced warning as well. Please don't smell an e/o right straight from the bottle. It can trigger an allergic reaction. There are also some oils that are skin irritants and you have to be careful with how much you use. I agree Lavender is nice if you like lavender but some such as Peppermint, Cinnamon, Clove are well known to cause skin irritation if too much is used. I'm sure there are more but those are ones off the top of my head.

Heidi
feyith

Post by feyith » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you both very much!

I found this storefront and will have to do some more research about what each ingredient is supposed to do and skin irritation.

http://stores.ebay.com/RibbyRue

I also noticed these two sets on Amazon and wasn't sure if it there's a catch.

http://www.amazon.com/Therapeutic-Essen ... roduct_top
http://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy-100- ... roduct_top

Anyone have experience with either seller(s)?
Heidiv

Post by Heidiv » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with those sellers. I make soap so most of my eo's come from soap supply companies since I tend to use a bit more :P I don't have much experience other than Lavender, Spearmint and Lemongrass (super.. super strong). The citrus e/o's don't tend to stick in soap so I haven't tried those in awhile but I do know that I love, love the scent of sweet orange :) It's great in other products.

One other warning I thought of is to wear gloves when handling the straight e/o. If you were to get it into a cut, another chance for a severe reaction. Wintergreen is another no no in skin care. I guess it's always best to research each oil for your specific application.

I am sorry if I'm telling you something you already knew but in case someone else didn't know and it saves them some grief, I thought I'd add the little I have learned.

Heidi
feyith

Post by feyith » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

No, I really appreciate the info. I love sweet orange and lemon type scents too.

I saw this article with some recipes. Any thoughts on eucalyptus and/or ginger?

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsle ... rbaths.php
Heidiv

Post by Heidiv » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am

Well, I think Mountain Herbs is a great place to start for a recipe. I personally haven't ordered from them but I have heard great things. Eucalyptus can be a little strong (imo) so for instance for me, I'd probably err on the side of caution and add the stronger ones last and a drop at a time until you find a comfort level for your senses. I'd love to hear what you try, good luck!

Heidi
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I use many essential oils, as I dabble in aromatherapy. Heidiv has a great point about irritation, but I must admit I have never heard her advice before and I personally have never experienced any irritation. A great book to try if you're starting out in aromatherapy is Valerie Ann Worwood's "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy."

I have purchased a number of Eden's Garden essential oils, like the first Amazon link you posted, and while I don't remember if it was exactly the same set or seller, I can say that the oils are wonderful. Affordable, fragrant, and highly useful.
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Also, if you don't mind purchasing commercial products, both Dr Teal's and Village Naturals make wonderful epsom salt bath products at cheap prices. You can find them at most grocery and drugstores, I believe, or Amazon.
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I like to purchase from birch hill aromatherapy, they offer tiny sizes, which is very convenient if you just need a little bit and don't want a whole big bottle. they also sell blends I like.
I like to use wax tarts in a warmer with some EO blends added, to make a candle type thing, without actual fire or artificial fragrance.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com