Combining serums. Need advice!

jbrooke

Combining serums. Need advice!

Post by jbrooke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi! I can't seem to choose the right serum/serums for my skin due to so many options:) I am 38 and have normal skin with an oily t-zone. I have some wrinkles beginning and sun spots. I am getting some acne that I need to get rid of but am not typically very acne prone in general. As far as sensitivity, I think I am somewhere in the middle!

I am tempted to go with the Vit C serum and Super Serum. But the Momma's Helper sounds good and so do many of the others. How can I possibly choose? And if I get 2 or 3 can I combine them?

Thank you so much!
JenW

Re: Combining serums. Need advice!

Post by JenW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Generally, you want a treatment serum and possibly a hydrating serum if the treatment serum is not quite hydrating enough. I must have both in the winter, and can usually get by with just a treatment serum in the warmer months. It depends on your skin and climate.

Choose one from Mama's Helper, Super Serum, Awesome Sauce (in approximate order of strength/sensitivity causing: start with Super Serum...then Awesome Sauce...then Mama's Helper.....then Vitamin C Peptide....Vitamin C has fewer active ingredients, but the peptides are not recommended for pregnancy.) For the more hydrating ones...Oatmeal, Green Tea & Aloe, or my new fave- the Botanical Hydration Serum. An example of why I use Mama's Helper- Renovage seems to make my rosacea flare up.

It all depends on your skin's sensitivity level. You could combine them, but it is overkill. If you wanted two maybe a stronger one for day, less stronger for night, or the reverse. Some can't use the stronger ones......Mama's Helper is probably the most gentle, but still packed with great ingredients. The other problem with having too many different ones on hand.....it takes longer to use them up. They are not heavily preserved like commercial products, so using them up within 2-6 months is ideal, and the smaller numbers are recommended for products with Vitamin C to take advantage of their full potency.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
jbrooke

Post by jbrooke » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the great info! Maybe I'll start with Super Serum and the Hydration Serum. Do you think the sample sizes are enough to reveal any results? Just curious!

Thanks again!!!
Jen
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 pm

It should be enough for about two weeks of use. I can't say you will see major results in that time. However, you will be able to determine if you have a sensitivity problem. Some do see noticeable results right away, though. It will likely take a few moths to see the major differences.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
jbrooke

Post by jbrooke » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks so much for the insights! Very helpful:)