Strawberry Spritz - allergic reaction

Springfairy

Strawberry Spritz - allergic reaction

Post by Springfairy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 am

I just got my latest SN haul including a sample Strawberry Spritz a few hours ago. I have a no makeup day, so I only had the oatmeal serum and the firming moisturiser put on in the morning and the cucumber peptide eye cream. I sprayed on Strawberry Spritz on the left side of my face and in a minute I got red spots and some red swelling around my eyes and a slight burning feeling. Waited 15 minutes then sprayed the right side of my face. Same reaction. As far as I know I'm not allergic to strawberries. I need all the moisturising I can get as it is winter, so it would be a bummer if I couldn't use this product.

Anyone had a similar experience? Would it be possible that it's a first reaction or just a reaction to the other products on my face though I put them on hours ago? I'm wondering about this because of the ambivalent relationship my skin has with the cucumber peptide eye cream which I can't wear with some other creams on my face, in the corner of my eyes or on the lid, only under the eyes, as it produces the same redding puffing reaction from time to time but not always.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Oxana124

Re: Strawberry Spritz - allergic reaction

Post by Oxana124 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:03 pm

What about Aloe, have you used it before with no allergic reaction? That is another thing besides strawberries that people can be allergic to.
If you are looking for something for dry skin this winter you should check out the new Botanical Hydration Serum (although that also has Aloe, so you should make sure first you are not allergic to that ingredient).
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 pm

I've had similar reactions to both the cucumber serum (you'll read the expression "panda eyes" a lot with that one. Big red welts around your eyes) and serums in general. The serums seem to tighten my skin in a way that causes a reaction. My solution (which is pretty effective for me and has led to great results with the cucumber serum) is to always make sure my face is moisturized. For serums, this means applying my moisturizer first (which isn't technically the correct order) or my preferred method which is to mix everything i want to use in the palm of my hand and apply it all together. I still live by the KISS skincare routine (Keep It Simple, Sister!), but I always mix in a drop of body oil and a squirt of blemish buster for my normal routine. and apply the eye serum after my moisturizer has soaked in.

Skincare really is all about what works for YOU. I have sensitive skin and i will mention that i have a problem with my immune system in that it is overactive and attacks everything (which means i don't get sick very often but have had some really unpleasant reactions). I recently spent 4 months with an allergy to cold temperatures(caused by an antibiotic) that gave me extreme hives (like chicken pox from my scalp to the soles of my feet. My whole body including my face and the palms of my hands) anytime i was exposed to temperatures below 65 degrees. Since it's really easy to upset my skin these days, I generally only use really gentle stuff for myself. I use the lavender lotion (basically lavender and olive oil) as my moisturizer, and 90% of the time "washing" my face (outside a shower) means a washcloth and water. I can use blemish buster and awesome sauce but BHA and AHA will totally harsh my skin. My rec. is to go slow- start with the gentlest things you want to use everyday first and then see which specialty serums your skin can handle. See if moisturizing helps for you. It's definitely a necessity for me

oh, I also recommend doing your "experimenting" at night so any reactions happen with a good window away from work hours and have time to tone down before you have to go out in public. The worst reaction i ever had to a serum was a mild chemical burn-type reaction to super serum and i had to go out with a red face, but at least it wasn't full on flaming when i went to work.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:57 am

Thank you both for the great advice. I've sprayed it on again a few times during the day and at night with mixed results, sometimes the same rash appeared other times nothing.

Oxana, I'm not allergic to aloe, have the aloe serum as a sample and no problems.

Sam, sorry to hear about your allergies, I know how it feels. I had similar reactions (hives, horrible itching etc.) after I got treated with antibiotics for Lyme disease. For about a year if ingredients were not fresh in food or water was too hard or certain detergents used I rashed out really bad and this was the time allergies to mainstream makeup and creams started (these remained). I'll mix everything up and see what happens. I have from time to time the same reaction to super serum and the facelift serum, so I only use these at night on a clean face. The super serum turns my face red and the redness, toned down a bit, but sometimes keeps for a day or two. When I tried the sample I didn't have this reaction so I have the full bottle but sometimes no reaction, it's very odd.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."