Hair care and skin care advice

Springfairy

Hair care and skin care advice

Post by Springfairy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 am

Hi, I'm about to place a bigger order and would like some advice on hair care products and skin care products.

Having used the Coconut Argan and Cranberry Passion Fruit Cleansing Conditioners as well as the Restoring Protein Treatment all I can say is that they're fantastic products. However, using the conditioners every 3-4 days I noticed that my hair, although silky smooth, got really greasy at the roots or even looked greasy after washing. What am I doing wrong? My hair is long, super fine and is prone to dryness (even though I swim with a cap). I'm also not sure whether to use the Coconut Argan or the Cranberry Passion Fruit Conditioner. I'll definitely order the Restoring Protein Treatment.

Regarding skin care, I have several of the serums and I was wondering if some of them could be used on my lids to tighten the skin a bit (maybe Awesome Sauce?) and to prevent fine lines. I can't use the Cucumber Peptide cream on my lids as it reacts really bad with the Lash Conditioning Gel to which I'm addicted.

As it is the end of summer, I start using the AHA-toner again but I was wondering what serums I could and could not use together with it. I was also wondering what serums can be layered together and what combinations should be avoided (is this recommended at all?). I'm also seeking advice on moisturisers and serums. My skin is slightly sensitive and prone to dryness (gets very dry in winter) with fine pores and very occasional breakouts in the T-zone which can get slightly greasy. I'm in my mid-thirties and so far almost no wrinkles. So far I've sampled the Firming and Intensive Moisturisers both were good but used them in summer only. Of the serums I have Awesome Sauce, Rose Hydrating Serum, Super Serum, and Vitamin C Peptide Serum so far.

Thank you for your help.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Xarata

Re: Hair care and skin care advice

Post by Xarata » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 am

With the conditioner, I find simply using a shampoo (if you have one) treats it like a regular (but very good!) conditioner with no buildup. You can also try a vinegar rinse if vinegar doesn't bother you. Blow drying also helps with the buildup. I buy both conditioners and alternate which one i use. I only use the protein treatment ~once/week or when i feel like my hair needs a little extra TLC.

My skin prefers a simple routine and i can't use the cucumber peptide serum either, so maybe someone who does a more complicated routine than i do can comment. I am a fan of awesome sauce and don't really find it to react with anything but everyone's skin is different.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:56 am

As far as I know, the Cranberry Passionfruit is for finer hair.

Do you skip shampoo? (This is what cleansing conditioners are typically used for, but I use mine after shampoo.) I do think that your scalp might reach a point where it does not produce as much oil. I think that takes a while to kick in, though. Waiting out the transitional weeks is the hard part. It may end up that you have to use a shampoo on occasion, but Sam's right....I'd experiment with a vinegar rinse first.

For skincare, most all of the serums can be layered with AHA. The only one you have to be careful with is Super Serum. Most people who use Super Serum apply it in the daytime, and use the AHA at night with a different serum to keep things straight. You also need to watch your cleanser ingredients if using Super Serum. Sometimes cleansers have AHAs in them. The Firming and Intensive Moisturizers should work in the winter, but you might want to try oatmeal serum as it is just a little more hydrating than the others.

I don't think I would use Super Serum on my eyes. I have used Oatmeal, Green Tea & Aloe, and even tried Awesome Sauce a few times in the eye area. I would proceed with caution if you try it. Use a tiny amount and don't get it into the moist part of the eye.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
landmouse

Post by landmouse » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I use both the Green Tea & Aloe Serum and the Hemp Moisturizer under my eyes and on the lids as well, and they have not irritated my skin at all...even when used with the lash gel! :D The GT&A has listed in its ingredients:
Tamarind seed extract for a super boost of hydration. In recent studies it's been shown to out preform hyaluronic acid in terms of skin hydration and for the smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles.
I have noticed a lessening of fine lines around the eye after application. If you do the moisturizer as well on the eyes, it helps to wait 20 minutes or so before putting on eye makeup. I have also found that this combination actually makes my lids LESS oily than they were previously.

Hope this helps!
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 am

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I'll try the vinegar rinse. I have already used a full bottle of the Passionfruit conditioner without shampoo and my hair remained greasy after a few washes. By the way, what is the recommended frequency of washing with the conditioner?
I also used it with regular shampoo (organic, mild shampoos from Alverde, a German drugstore brand) but then it was a nightmare to comb my hair out as the conditioner didn't seem to do anything.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."