Taupe for meee?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
frckls

Taupe for meee?

Post by frckls » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm

I recently decided to go on the hunt for the "perfect" matte taupe. The color that is perfect to be worn alone, as a crease color, or the blending color. Please don't judge me. I just found out that you can use a "blending color" to blend shadow in crease. :oops:

My skin is medium toned, around NC30. My foundation/TM matches are:
Lucy Minerals Original in Creamy Bisque-Golden Medium
Tarte Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer in Agent 010
NARS Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska (St. Moritz is too dark on me, making my face look dirty)

I have these following colors that I think are taupes (or at least how they look on my skin)
Quartzite (I know it's "tan", but for some reason it kinda looks taupe on me, especially after pressing it)
Blanket Fort (again, it looks taupe-ish on me, just leans a bit plum and bronzy)
Fusion (taupe with prominent gray and plum tones)
Teacher's Pet (gold taupe on me)
Dark Arts (green-gold tones taupe)
Catalyst (very dark taupe, of course)

I'm thinking about getting either Eu-Taupe-Ia/Terra/Bareback.

Can any of you suggest which would be my perfect matte taupe? I wish I can buy all of them, but I plan to tighten my budget. So I will only buy one on my next purchase. Or hopefully someone would want to swap with me. :)
Cupcake

Re: Taupe for meee?

Post by Cupcake » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 pm

My first thought was Mink or Tweed, but Earth is a must-own taupe, too. I'm not sure how deep a taupe you want. Maybe look at Eu-taupe-ia and Glory (shimmer), too. I universally recommend Idolize but it may lean a little too much towards plum / grey going by your comments. Hmm... I'd start with Earth I think. Gee whizz, I remember when it was a GWP and a very early version of what became the eyelights, it was so popular you'd think it was the next best thing since sliced bread! Incredibly popular colour.
frckls

Post by frckls » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:19 am

OMG Cupcake.... Now you successfully just added another one to my list! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

==update==
I just found a swatch of Earth in this forum on a hand similar in shade with mine. And just like my coloring, the hand pulls grey/plum very easily. I think I need something a bit browner?

RANT: My hands are aging so quickly and I'm only twenty something. They are nowhere as smooth as skin in other part of my body. They're also a shade darker than my face and arms and 2 shades darker than my legs. Not to mention all those hangnails. YUCK.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 am

I think you'll need Jen or Karen for this one as I'm not good at colour composition maths. My skin is so pale that thankfully, everything looks on me the way it looks in the jar. Makes finding swatches much easier!

If your skin is making the blue-purple tones stand out and the redder tones (in taupe brown) disappear, I *think* you might need a taupe that leans to a warmer tone so there's more red in the mix? I'm thinking perhaps try Bareback or Aztec (shimmery, kinda mustard toned on me) or a pinkish taupe (as the pink would disappear) maybe Trouble, Stag or Mojave? Loaded or Saddle up from the Naked set? Maybe something with a hint of copper like Sierra or Soiree / Fete? That might be too far from what you want.

Maybe Bareback or Stag would be a place to start?
heidiv23323

Post by heidiv23323 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:46 am

How about Tru Love??
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 am

Tru Luv (and the little set from Thea that goes with it) is the best palette of creamy neutral staple colours I've ever had. I love it for a brow colour and soft eye liner. It's got a slight soft rose tone to the brown, so it might be a very good idea indeed for frkls! Good thinking heidiv
heidiv23323

Post by heidiv23323 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks Cupcake :) I love them as well !
frckls

Post by frckls » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:14 pm

*gasp* it's gorgeous! now I get even more confused what to get. *bawl*

But isn't it as dark as Colt? Or just because I see it swatched on fairer skins?
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Noooo nothing like Colt. Colt is dark, opaque and densely pigmented - it's a heavy hitter and a little hard to control as a shadow, ideal as a liner. Tru Luv is soft, almost creamy and gently pigmented, a deep colour but with a tender touch. It's texture makes it very forgiving and easy to work with.

(hehe just wonder how some of these names are an accurate reflection of their character!)
kchalbi

Post by kchalbi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I've had good luck with Eu-topia. It doesn't seem to look grey or ashy the way a lot of taupes do on me. I don't have Tru Luv, so I can't compare the two!