New to MMU

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Xyeve

New to MMU

Post by Xyeve » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi, I am new to Make up and there's a lot of queries about mineral make up.

Just ordered my sample kit and set of brushes a few days ago.
But I realised that I don't know how to start using them.
How do I mix the powder?
What's a sifter jar for? How do I use it?
Do I just dip my brush into the jar and apply the powder on my face?
Do I need a make up base when using the natural mineral foundation?

Hope someone is able to help.

Thanks!
judytran

Re: New to MMU

Post by judytran » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Hey!
One thing first, didn't it come with an instruction sheet?

anyway so first you start off with a clean base and moisturize
take your jar put couple of the spoons of white and one scoop of the dark and start mixing until you get your colour, you can keep adding more white/dark etc

secondly you take the sifter, take off the clear sticker and put it on the jar make sure its tight!
you take the jar, put it upside down and tap some product into the lid only a little bit at a time!
take your brush and swirl it around trying to get all the product and then "buff" it on your face

then you take the little perfecting powder and take off this sticker and do the same

it might be easier if you go to site that has a video

try this one but don't buy from them they suck!

http://www.bareminerals.com/on/demandwa ... ctoYAU5gcT

sorry Karen I didn't know what else to do, I felt I had to help this damsel in distress!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Actually, there is alot of basics to be learned from Ms. Blogett's video.

Do you have any idea which undertone you might be? Can you tell me a little about the colors that look best on you?

As far as mixing, you will want to mix the powders in your little jar. If you are medium in tone, it is best to start with about a 1 dark to 5 or 6 white base ratio. (You may have to go lighter or darker depending on your starting point.) Use the little spoon for measuring. (The sifter should be added later once you figure out your recipe.) The powders need to be throughly mixed. I recommend tightly securing the lid and shaking vigorously. Then do a small vertical swatch on your jawline by loading a clean eyeshadow brush (tapped off). You are currently looking for a color that will blend into your own complexion. It may look powdery with this type of brush, but will blend better when you use the proper brush for foundation.

Once you get a match, you can add your sifter. It just prevents too much powder from coming out at once. I also do not normally recommend dipping your brush into the powder section of a regular product jar (it is fine while you are testing). You could contaminate the powders inside. The lid is good for loading your brush, but a larger rounded surface is a little better. The greater surface area allows you to load your brush more evenly. Some use the plastic lid from a margerine type container. I use a melamine condiment cup.

I hope this is enough to get you started. Let us know if you have anymore questions!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Ann

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:20 pm

hi!

to mix the foundation.. and minimise the mess you can do it in a zippie bag and then transfer it back to the shifter jar.

you might want not want to tear of the sticker label and just poke some of the holes instead. or else there will be a wastage of the powder!
Xyeve

Post by Xyeve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:39 am

Hi! Thanks for these wonderful information. Hope I didn't cause any inconvenience. :D

My complexion is more towards medium. But my face colour is slightly lighter. So do I mix the colour that suits my face or a bit darker?

Another point to add, I am considering the black colour eye shadow that SIlk natural is offering as an eyeliner for me. But will it be difficult to apply for a beginner like me?
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 am

If you are a little lighter than Medium, start with 1 dark base to 7 white. You may have to adjust from there. Mix the color that suits your face. It is usually better to go a little light. The oils from your skin may darken the foundation a little.

Are you looking at Raven for Eyeliner? Really any of the dark eyeshadows will work. I have found that the application of powder eyeshadow to be easier than a pencil or liquid. You do need a fine brush. Apply dry for a more natural look, or use Visine (eyedrops) or water on your brush and blend with the powder to make the line more defined. Also, be sure to wash your brushes often (at least once a week) in soapy water. Small brushes will easily dry in one day.
Faves-
Xyeve

Post by Xyeve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks! I'll try the recipe that you suggested.
Thanks for the tips too!
I bought the set of 7 brushes that Karen offers. Think it shouldn't be a problem for apply the eyeliner right?
By the way, really thankful for your help!
Thanks a lot!
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:33 am

Yes, there should be a brush there that will work. I'd try the smallest rounded flat one. Use it parallel to the line you want to make. It might take a little practice, but you will get it!!! Another one to try for eyeliner is the small angled one. Karen suggested a microfiber cloth to wipe the brushes off in between colors. I find a paper towel worksin a pinch, too, but probably not quite as well.

Happy playing!!! :D
Faves-